3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Very Strong Gas Smell

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2004, 03:13 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Very Strong Gas Smell

It's very cold here in NY right now. Just started my Max after it freezing out in the open for a day or so. Heard some weird noise at crank, but doesn't really matter right now. After warming up the engine, I drove for about 5 minutes and decided to put the heat on. The heat comes on and everything feels okay. About 2 minutes go by, and the most strongest smell of gas I have ever felt starts blowin right into my face from the vents. I was like WTF!? Not another problem. This is why I hate starting the car in cold weather like this. A new problem everytime. If I didn't need the car in the mornings, I wouldn't even use it when its cold. Anyway, I put the heat off and 10 minutes later, put it back on again. No gas smell for 5 minutes or so, then it comes again. I turn it off, and back on again. The gas smell goes away then comes back. Finally the last time I tried it, the smell went away for like 20 minutes till I got to my destination. Anybody have a similar a problem? Thanks.

Old 12-21-2004, 03:40 AM

When driving in morning traffic - take in account that smell might come from other vehicles’ emissions, which are really "smelly" when it is very cold

Try internal air circulation b4 you smell anything
Old 12-21-2004, 04:39 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Originally Posted by rrrfoma
Try internal air circulation b4 you smell anything
Hm.. Internal air circulation? Thats done by flipping that switch downwards next to the A/C button, correct?

By the way, your Max looks REAL cold.

Old 12-21-2004, 05:14 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Vadim-93GXE
Hm.. Internal air circulation? Thats done by flipping that switch downwards next to the A/C button, correct?
that lever should be down in the winter period.
but the button he's talking about has a picture of a car on it with a "C" looking thing in the middle of the car.
Old 12-21-2004, 05:23 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
that lever should be down in the winter period.
but the button he's talking about has a picture of a car on it with a "C" looking thing in the middle of the car.
Oh I know that button. What does that do? Just send heat through all the vents of the car?

Old 12-21-2004, 05:24 AM

When you start the car check to see if your fuel rails are leaking and use your nose to find the source of the smell.

My fuel rails were leaking and I just fixed them, but the smell would stop after about 10 min. Unless of course you have a big leak.

Check this thread. LINK
Old 12-21-2004, 05:42 AM
Vadim-93GXE

Originally Posted by alpicone
When you start the car check to see if your fuel rails are leaking and use your nose to find the source of the smell.

My fuel rails were leaking and I just fixed them, but the smell would stop after about 10 min. Unless of course you have a big leak.

Check this thread. LINK
Thanks alot. Im pretty sure it is the hoses to the fuel rails from what all the people are saying in that thread. As long as it goes away after the car has been on for awhile, I should be able to survive the winter. I just have so many projects to do with the car, so little time, so little money, and so little space. Im just praying nothing goes wrong till I make it perfect.

Old 12-21-2004, 07:40 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Vadim-93GXE
Oh I know that button. What does that do? Just send heat through all the vents of the car?
no, it keeps fresh air from getting into the car. however if you do that your windows will fog up.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:47 AM

fuel smell

***I just posted this on another thread, so I'm cutting and pasting it again.***

That's a problem that plagued my car when I first bought it 4 years ago.

What's happening is the rubber fuel lines that attach to your fuel rails are worn and cracked. When it's cold out, of course they expand. When you start your car, your fuel pump starts building pressure on the injectors the second your ingnition hits. With cold, expapanded, and worn-out fuel lines under tremendous pressure, they begin to leak raw fuel till the engine warms-up and causes the fuel lines to contract again.

My car went into the dealer about 4 times before he finally got the dumb thing fixed. I can't remember the cost, but I want to say it was close to $400 becuase they have to take the intake plenum off to get to the fuel rails. It's a bad design if you ask me. Those rubber lines are directly above the scortching hot headers.
Old 12-21-2004, 08:54 AM
Banned

*** and since you posted this again I will correct you again***

When did you take thermodynamics?? Only molecules like water expand at freezing temps. Things expand at high temp, and contract at low temp... The cracks develop as a result of this expansion/then contraction routine and age of the rubber lines. Just switch the process in your mind GO_VOLS!

Brian
Old 12-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by GO_VOLS!
***I just posted this on another thread, so I'm cutting and pasting it again.***

That's a problem that plagued my car when I first bought it 4 years ago.

What's happening is the rubber fuel lines that attach to your fuel rails are worn and cracked. When it's cold out, of course they contract. When you start your car, your fuel pump starts building pressure on the injectors the second your ingnition hits. With cold, contracted, and worn-out fuel lines under tremendous pressure, they begin to leak raw fuel till the engine warms-up and causes the fuel lines to expand again.

all fixed
Old 12-21-2004, 09:02 AM
Banned

Danka
Old 12-21-2004, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by GO_VOLS!
My car went into the dealer about 4 times before he finally got the dumb thing fixed. I can't remember the cost, but I want to say it was close to $400 becuase they have to take the intake plenum off to get to the fuel rails. It's a bad design if you ask me. Those rubber lines are directly above the scortching hot headers.
Damn $400. Next time bring it to me. I will do the job for $200!
Old 12-21-2004, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by alpicone
Damn $400. Next time bring it to me. I will do the job for $200!
There won't be a next time, it's for sale. Getting a Titan.