3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

oil pressure switch

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2005 | 07:49 PM
blacks92seAuto

oil pressure switch

I know there is limited room where you hook up the thing to get oil pressure. I want an after market oil pressure gauge but I still want the stock one in there so my CEL don't come on. Is there any type of fittings that you guys know of I need. I have a VE. part number would be awesome, at least size of connectors and types and how many of what I need would work. Thanks
Old 01-03-2005 | 08:22 PM
mod or sell?

try a "T" fitting, some aftermarket gauges come with adapters.
Old 01-03-2005 | 09:04 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by internetautomar
try a "T" fitting, some aftermarket gauges come with adapters.
what size and thread? like 3/8"?
Old 01-04-2005 | 05:56 AM
mod or sell?

never looked or cared.
Old 01-04-2005 | 07:47 AM
blacks92seAuto

they don't sell fittings that aren't made out of brass or whatever they make them out of that break. And if I just plugged an after market one in there and took out the oem one, how would I get it so my CEL won't come on? is it even possible?
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:00 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
they don't sell fittings that aren't made out of brass or whatever they make them out of that break. And if I just plugged an after market one in there and took out the oem one, how would I get it so my CEL won't come on? is it even possible?
i've seen brass..i've seen stainless steel.

if you just jam the aftermarket one in there...you can bet that it's going to leak.

IMO just go w/o the oil psi gauge because it doesn't sound like you know how to install it correctly.
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:07 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by DanNY
i've seen brass..i've seen stainless steel.

if you just jam the aftermarket one in there...you can bet that it's going to leak.

IMO just go w/o the oil psi gauge because it doesn't sound like you know how to install it correctly.
bah I must have it, I can hook my air/fuel gauge up and the other guages like volts, water temp......Never owned a car that had only an oil dummy light. I wish they put a oil psi gauge in stock.
So what your saying is that if I put the aftermarket one in there without T fittings its going to leak...and if I use a T fitting to hook them both up....its eventually going to break off from its own weight?
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:11 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

bah I must have it, I can hook my air/fuel gauge up and the other guages like volts, water temp......Never owned a car that had only an oil dummy light. I wish they put a oil psi gauge in stock.
So what your saying is that if I put the aftermarket one in there without T fittings its going to leak...and if I use a T fitting to hook them both up....its eventually going to break off from its own weight?
for you to just run the aftermarket one in there you'll need the 1/8 BSPT make to 1/8 NPT female. otherwise you'll run a good chance of stripping the engine block and it'll probably leak.

if you use a T i recommend finding a way to support it because the aftermarket sensor and the stock sensor puts strain on the fitting.

you must have it...but don't know how to do it and will not go to a shop to have it installed?
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:18 AM
blacks92seAuto

you must have it...but don't know how to do it and will not go to a shop to have it installed?
its not like im going to die, and second.....Did you all of a sudden just know how to hook up all the gauges or did you have to watch someone do it 1 before or ask for help? oh ya your danny.. you probably just knew how and didn't have to ask for help on it. Excuse me for trying to learn so that I DON'T have to take it to a shop for something as dumb as a gauge.. I take my car to the shop for bigger stuff that I don't want to do and don't have the tools to do.
The only thing I asked for if anyone knew the sizes of the fittings I would need to make it work. Obviiously I have never put an oil gauge on a VE before. But everyone starts somewhere, am I wrong?
Old 01-04-2005 | 08:33 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

its not like im going to die, and second.....Did you all of a sudden just know how to hook up all the gauges or did you have to watch someone do it 1 before or ask for help? oh ya your danny.. you probably just knew how and didn't have to ask for help on it. Excuse me for trying to learn so that I DON'T have to take it to a shop for something as dumb as a gauge.. I take my car to the shop for bigger stuff that I don't want to do and don't have the tools to do.
The only thing I asked for if anyone knew the sizes of the fittings I would need to make it work. Obviiously I have never put an oil gauge on a VE before. But everyone starts somewhere, am I wrong?
i didn't all of the sudden know...it called getting off your **** and taking the oil psi sensor off and measuring it.

in the 1st post i gave you the fitting sizes...gave you the directions on them. even gave u the pitfalls you might encounter. i'm giving you everything you need w/o even getting dirty and you b1tch and moan about it? do you even know where the sensor is? did you even get your hands dirty looking? 3/8...yeah nice guess champ. you new guys complain about not getting help...when you do get help and you don't understand it you still complain. you notice anyone else answering this thread?

maybe it's time to grow up...no one will hand you everything on a silver platter. if you need to find something out...you need to do it yourself.

i'll remember NOT to answer any of your questions you may have in the future.

thanks and have a nice day.
Old 01-04-2005 | 09:10 AM
blacks92seAuto

i'll remember NOT to answer any of your questions you may have in the future.

thanks and have a nice day.
good then stop pulluting up my threads with you bitterness
Old 01-04-2005 | 09:12 AM
I'm needing a caw

Haha. Good way to **** off one of the few remaining OG guys that still help newbies.

good then stop pulluting up my threads with you bitterness
Old 01-04-2005 | 09:54 AM
blacks92seAuto

/shrug its nice for the help, but there is no need for the comments that follow...
Old 01-04-2005 | 09:55 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I put an aftermarket gauge in my VE. There isn't enough room for both sending units in that cramped area. So what I did was simply unplug the OEM unit and zip tied it off. If you unplug the harness, your dash light shouldn't come on.

But, I would recommend screwing in a fitting with a barbed end, in your block and attach a hose then attach a T fitting to attach both OEM and aftermarket units. That way it won't put added stress on your threads.
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Hey Danny we thank you for the help but take it easy everyone start from somewhere. Other may start from closer areas and other may just be way off. I got a gauge the other day too and ill figure it out. It seems like I always do. BUT I have to give the org. credit for a lot of help. With my turbo project I may have never got it done if it wasnt for the org. AND Mtcookson with a lot of help on the way.
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:19 AM
blacks92seAuto

Thanks aaron...thats the kinda tips I need. especially being my first time hooking up a gauge... I don't need someone saying
Originally Posted by danny
" you must have it...but don't know how to do it and will not go to a shop to have it installed?" "IMO just go w/o the oil psi gauge because it doesn't sound like you know how to install it correctly. "
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:21 AM
I'm needing a caw

Um, Dan gave you way more information than Aaron did. But you only chose to see the neg. I hope you copied the info he gave because he just deleted the post. Good luck with the guage install.

Thanks aaron...thats the kinda tips I need. especially being my first time hooking up a gauge... I don't need someone saying
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:22 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I put an aftermarket gauge in my VE. There isn't enough room for both sending units in that cramped area. So what I did was simply unplug the OEM unit and zip tied it off. If you unplug the harness, your dash light shouldn't come on.

But, I would recommend screwing in a fitting with a barbed end, in your block and attach a hose then attach a T fitting to attach both OEM and aftermarket units. That way it won't put added stress on your threads.
If the light wont come on from unplugging it then I will just do what you did. Is it better to apply some type of sealant when putting in a fitting for the aftermarket unit?
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:27 AM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Um, Dan gave you way more information than Aaron did. But you only chose to see the neg. I hope you copied the info he gave because he just deleted the post. Good luck with the guage install.
1/8 BSPT make to 1/8 NPT female. thanks, im going to need all the luck I can get. huh
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:35 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

i gave you the entire list of things you need to get and what needs to be done...your post coming back to me is asking if you can screw the aftermarket sensor directly into the block. if you can do that i wouldn't have gave you the list of the threads and pitch..right? it just sounds like you ignored my entire post.

from your response it sounded like you didn't know what i was talking about...hence the comment of going to a pro or something that understand the differences in plumbing thread.

if i asked you how to change my oil...you gave me detailed instructions and then i just turn around and said i was going to a jiffy lube or something...how much of a waste of time would the post be? you spent your time to give me instructions and i totally ignored it. that's how i feel here...you read my post and didn't understand it...but didn't want to seem like a novice you came back with the response that you can muster up...that's how i saw it. don't take offense with the pro comment because i don't know what you know.

if the information is too difficult i rather you pay someone to install it properly than to mess up your ENGINE BLOCK and come back and blame me for pointing you the wrong direction. it has happened...so i don't want to be blamed for it.
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:36 AM
I'm needing a caw

I really doubt if you need any luck. As everything was just handed to you

1/8 BSPT make to 1/8 NPT female. thanks, im going to need all the luck I can get. huh
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:52 AM
NWP Engineering.com

If the light wont come on from unplugging it then I will just do what you did. Is it better to apply some type of sealant when putting in a fitting for the aftermarket unit?
YES! Use thread sealant and you should be ok. Don't use teflon tape..
Old 01-04-2005 | 11:14 AM

[QUOTE=blacks92seAuto]

Which guage did you get? I'd like to install one, so this is good info.

Yeah, the org can s u c k somethimes, its annoying when people post without anything helpful to say.
Old 01-04-2005 | 12:12 PM

if you have fsm thats all you need and its not nice to bite the hand that feeds you !!
Old 01-04-2005 | 03:20 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

im too tired to read the whole thread......i have an oil gauge i nmy ve....there is no room to fit a "t" fitting or any fitting that will accomodate both units. Your dash light will NOT come on just use the aftermarket gauge. that IS why you bought it right ? why do you need a dummy light ? the light only comes on when theres low oil not when its unplugged..
Old 01-04-2005 | 04:42 PM
blacks92seAuto

i gave you the entire list of things you need to get and what needs to be done...your post coming back to me is asking if you can screw the aftermarket sensor directly into the block. if you can do that i wouldn't have gave you the list of the threads and pitch..right? it just sounds like you ignored my entire post.

from your response it sounded like you didn't know what i was talking about...hence the comment of going to a pro or something that understand the differences in plumbing thread.

if i asked you how to change my oil...you gave me detailed instructions and then i just turn around and said i was going to a jiffy lube or something...how much of a waste of time would the post be? you spent your time to give me instructions and i totally ignored it. that's how i feel here...you read my post and didn't understand it...but didn't want to seem like a novice you came back with the response that you can muster up...that's how i saw it. don't take offense with the pro comment because i don't know what you know.

if the information is too difficult i rather you pay someone to install it properly than to mess up your ENGINE BLOCK and come back and blame me for pointing you the wrong direction. it has happened...so i don't want to be blamed for it.
don't go back on your word, please stop responding in threads I post, I don't want your help
Old 01-04-2005 | 06:01 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

some advice blacks92seAuto your peevin off the wrong person, danny helped me a great deal when i was installing my oil pressure gauge, he knows what he is talking about which is why my install went so smoothly, thanks again danny !
Old 01-04-2005 | 09:28 PM
blacks92seAuto

ido you even know where the sensor is? did you even get your hands dirty looking?
correct me if im wrong, but the oil pressure sensor is located right above the oil filter
Old 01-05-2005 | 03:29 AM

Wait... we have a stock oil pressure sensor?
Old 01-05-2005 | 04:04 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Evil_Twin
Wait... we have a stock oil pressure sensor?
yes, it triggers the light on the dash
Old 01-05-2005 | 06:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

correct me if im wrong, but the oil pressure sensor is located right above the oil filter
do you really expect him to answer?