3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Bose strikes again

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005 | 10:38 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Bose strikes again

Perhaps you have seen my posts regarding my 89 Max which had the original Bose config. I just bought another HU, but retained the original wire and Bose speakers bypassing the amps at each location.

I connected the new unit(Aiwa)... music was really good (not looking for a rad rig anyway) untill I upped the volume. Something odd is happening now that I never experienced before. As the vol went up at some point the music just began to cycle cutting in and out. The quality of that sound here was not the issue just the in/out. I determined that it was caused by the Bass Boost being turned on. Almost seemed like extreme “Clipping” or “Squelch” effect.

First thought was it was defective, but I had the HU at hand(a JVC) that I just pulled out and shoved it back in and it did the same thing.
So picture this......
old head unit goes back in.....
but now for first time...since I bought JVC
the Bose amps are not on- or in-line.
That JVC by the way was installed years ago after the Bose died, and was fine even though I never addressed the issue of remote Bose amps.
Yes it was devine case of “Plug and play” meets “ignorance is bliss”!
Fact is I just bought new unit to replace the JVC cause CD stopped working (Also I could plug MP3 player into the unit front as an auxiliary unit for music)

Any Feedback guys?
Old 01-04-2005 | 10:46 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You've got to get new speakers. Follow this guideline--All Bose or No Bose. The Bose speakers are different than other speakers. They are not made to use without their own little amps.
Old 01-04-2005 | 11:34 AM

All Bose, No Bose or just the Hose!

I guess so. I just heard so many other say that it worked fine without the spk. replacmnt... Oh well. I got the head unit($) .....but had not anticipated dropping all remaining cash on a new speaker system.

2 last questions:
1. Does anyone know if buying the Bose Speaker adapter($50) they talk about online will allow me to keep the existing speakers, I would be quite satisfied with the quality as is

and

2.Any recommends on economical replacements
I understand that sound & audio are extremely subjective and personal decision,
but we all have roots stemming from the same wheels as a reference.
a sound quality +/- close to where we all started in BoseMax Land.
Hopefully it will not require wasting any more time other than swaping in the new speakers. My low guesstimate based on 1st look put the cost of speakers(4) around $175-$200

bring on the hose
Old 01-04-2005 | 12:20 PM
Way out West

Bose speakers are 1 ohm. Your power source is feeding them at 4 ohms.

I had the Peripheral Bose adapter and it worked fairly well, using the Bose amps and speakers After a while both rear speakers and the front right amp went belly up. I don't know if the adapter or old age caused this.
Old 01-04-2005 | 12:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I too tried the Bose adapter for a while and it sounded OK but I couldn't get any volume out of it then. Got rid of the adapter, wired around the amps, got new speakers and now it is all good.
Old 01-04-2005 | 01:26 PM

I tried all of the above methods also. My Pioneer HU would operate the bose amps and it sounded good, but I found it would eventually toast my HU if I didnt do something. I finally got new speakers all the way around and it's better than with the full Bose system. Just get new speakers. You won't regret it at all.
Old 01-04-2005 | 01:35 PM

OK, My feeling is THUMBS DOWN on the adapter.
How bout the speakers, Im not planning a sub or any thing more than a small
mod.
Should speakers be all the same manufacturer....
By the way I upgraded to a SONY cause I had difficulty with the AIWA and casually changing the sound space,
How bout Sony speakers?
Old 01-04-2005 | 02:33 PM

What I did is wire both right speakers in series to the RR channel, and same with the left speakers and the LR channel. I have a cheap Kenwood CD headunit. Doubles the resistance so you dont overload the headunit. I havn't had any problems.

NINJAEDIT because I'm retarded.
Old 01-04-2005 | 11:16 PM

very interesting, Pat
Old 01-05-2005 | 08:32 AM

i just say go ahead and upgrade to newer speakers. we can't really tell you what sounds good, since 'good' is subjective to the listener. go to an audio shop and give each speakers a listen and pick out the ones that sounds good to you.