3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

LED dash light help

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2005, 02:10 PM

LED dash light help

Yesterday I saw a write-up that someone had done on converting all of your dash lights to LEDs, but now I can't find it. I know it's my fault for not bookmarking it, but does anyone have any idea where I can find this or something like it?
Old 01-04-2005, 02:36 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

That is my write up. The link is on Craigs page here.

Click on how to.

There are a bunch of other great things that Craig has done along with some other people as well.
Old 01-04-2005, 02:52 PM

Thanks, I had a feeling I could find it on Craig's page, just like everything else. One thing I didn't see, though, was instructions for switching over the guage and needle lights to LEDs. Any help there?
Old 01-04-2005, 03:06 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

gauge and needle lights to LED is not a good idea, mainly because LEDs have a narrow path of light versus the all around output of the incandecent ones, and our gauges were designed to used incandecent bulbs.

It will work, but you will have "cold" spots.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:11 PM

So are there any options for changing the guage lights to something that would look better with LEDs ("hyper-white" incandescents, maybe?), without having to put in ugly custom guage faces?
Old 01-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I've bought a number of prefit LED's from http://www.autolumination.com

He's an awesome guy. Stuff looks good too. Right now, (In my Honda) I have Red LED's behind the gauges and UV LED's above them. Looks pretty cool, but the red could look better.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:22 PM

You think wide-angle or diffused LEDs would work in the guages and needles?
Old 01-04-2005, 05:56 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The gauges, yeah. I don't know anything about the needle mods. Can you post info on that?
Old 01-04-2005, 06:29 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

The concave LEDs work very well for the instrument cluster. I use them and they are very even with no cold spots BUT they not as bright as I would like. They may have some brighter ones now though.

Here is where I got all my LEDs including the 194 single concave tip LEDs for the instrument cluster. http://www.superbrightleds.com/index.htm

also someone used to make a LED needle for our car. mtcookson has some. I cant remember where to get them though. Basically the needle has its own LED or something and its seperate from the rest of the cluster.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:11 AM

I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question, but it's sort of related. I replaced the regular 168 dash gauge bulbs with colored 194's (not led), and even though all the bulbs work, the speedo needle is the only one that has never lit up properly. Looks great otherwise, and better than stock whites, but this has always stumped me considering all the bulbs work.
Anyone know what might be causing this?

I can't attach files here on the org, but you can quickly download a pic of my gauges here:
http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...X3A2VZTVQZSX25
Old 01-05-2005, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by hadman
I hope you don't mind me jumping in with a question, but it's sort of related. I replaced the regular 168 dash gauge bulbs with colored 194's (not led), and even though all the bulbs work, the speedo needle is the only one that has never lit up properly. Looks great otherwise, and better than stock whites, but this has always stumped me considering all the bulbs work.
Anyone know what might be causing this?

I can't attach files here on the org, but you can quickly download a pic of my gauges here:
http://s13.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=1...X3A2VZTVQZSX25
not sure what the problem is, but just wanted to say that the stock bulbs are 194, not 168.
Old 01-05-2005, 06:46 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Right off I see exactly what is wrong. The pointer has turned yellow (or just discolored) over time and does not allow as much light through as it used to. I have had a couple of pointers that were like that too. If you look at the ring around your lighter chances are you will see that it has turned yellow as well. I have had only one lighter ring that wasnt discolored and let the light shine correctly. I wish I had kept it.

You can either find someone that has swapped their cluster because it went bad and see if they will let you get the needle or you can try to find the LED needles I talked about earlier.
Old 01-05-2005, 11:56 AM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
not sure what the problem is, but just wanted to say that the stock bulbs are 194, not 168.
lol Craig. It was 4am when I worte that. I was a little fuzzy. Yeah, i know. I meant to say I changed the 194's to 168. I did this swap about 3 years years ago.
Michael. Good point. Could try that. The lighter ring is still good tho.
Old 01-05-2005, 01:27 PM

Anyone ever dealt with these guys?
http://www.besthongkong.com/index.php
Old 01-05-2005, 02:35 PM

Nope. What is registration for - the forums?
Old 01-05-2005, 03:17 PM

I don't know, but it's free to register and they seem to have pretty good prices.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:34 AM

try this place here, I think its based in the states since they make reference to Radio Shack, and the prices are super cheap, personally, I wouldn't deal with sites that are based off shore, since you can get your *** into a scam and never be able to do anything about it, then again, you can do **** if its based in the US anyway.

here's the site if anyone wants to check it out for themselves :

http://www.lsdiodes.com/
Old 01-06-2005, 01:14 PM

Okay, one more question...will it make much of a difference which brightness of LED I go with? And awsm66 how many mcd are the LEDs that you used putting out, and do you have a recommendation?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:15 PM

Originally Posted by cole_grant
Okay, one more question...will it make much of a difference which brightness of LED I go with? And awsm66 how many mcd are the LEDs that you used putting out, and do you have a recommendation?
IIRC i got 3000mcd 3mm blue LEDs and i put them in my switches, at first they seem to take away my attention from the road cuz they're so bright, but i got used to it, and the dimmer still works with them...

http://members.shaw.ca/sunny_cps/IMG_0084.JPG
Old 01-06-2005, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
IIRC i got 3000mcd 3mm blue LEDs and i put them in my switches, at first they seem to take away my attention from the road cuz they're so bright, but i got used to it, and the dimmer still works with them...

http://members.shaw.ca/sunny_cps/IMG_0084.JPG
Looks good. What did you use for the guages?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:25 PM

Looks good. What did you use for the guages?
i got red incandecent bulbs from a local rice shop.. they're not as bright as stock, but it's decent..
Old 01-06-2005, 04:29 PM

Can the needle take an LED, or does it use the same light source as the guage face, or what? I kind of want to find out as much as I can before I tear apart my dash. BTW, is the incandescent a 194?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:38 PM

yes it's 194.. needles use same light from gauges. that's y i chose red, cuz' that would look good with the orange needles..

but i think it is possible to frankinstein an LED for ur needles.. just takes some work and creativity..

Can the needle take an LED, or does it use the same light source as the guage face, or what? I kind of want to find out as much as I can before I tear apart my dash. BTW, is the incandescent a 194?
Old 01-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Alright, sounds easy enough, now I just have to make it work.
Old 01-07-2005, 05:37 AM

Maxnub91, can you please tell me how you change the light of the A/C control unit? can you just basically do a led swap and bend the leds or do you have to gut the whole thing? thanks.
Old 01-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by disgruntled
Maxnub91, can you please tell me how you change the light of the A/C control unit? can you just basically do a led swap and bend the leds or do you have to gut the whole thing? thanks.

I dont want to answer for him but you can just swap them in with a resistor on the back of them (because a resistor on the wire messes up the display) BUT you will have major hot spots like in his pic.

To cure this I found some plastic diffusers (for lack of a better term) that spread the light evenly. I never completely installed them but tested them on the left side of the buttons. They worked well there but the major problem is the right side and I cant remember if I tested them on that side or not because its been so long ago. One day I will get to that and post my results.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:36 AM

shweet, I overlooked the fact that his A/C control unit is digital, mine is analog, but should be the same I guess. Thanks for the ans.
Old 01-07-2005, 11:06 PM

i just soldered a resistor to one leg of the LED and swaped it in to replace the old bulb. the bottom row of buttons aren't getting hot spots... it's the "Auto/Econ" cluster being cold spots. and it's a major pain for me.

they got this big white plastic diffuser behind those large buttons, i don't want to break my auto climate by doing too much frankinsteining so i just left it as is.. i'll resume working on the car when the weather gets warmer tho...
Old 01-08-2005, 09:58 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by MaxNub91
i just soldered a resistor to one leg of the LED and swaped it in to replace the old bulb. the bottom row of buttons aren't getting hot spots... it's the "Auto/Econ" cluster being cold spots. and it's a major pain for me.

they got this big white plastic diffuser behind those large buttons, i don't want to break my auto climate by doing too much frankinsteining so i just left it as is.. i'll resume working on the car when the weather gets warmer tho...

Yeah I know what its doing...I did the same thing...hot spots/cold spots...its all how you look at it. Here is what you need to fix the problems.

Like I said I cant remember if I did it on the right side but know that it really made the light even on the left side. I would assume I tried it on the right too since that is the problems spot but its been so long since I messed with I really cant remember. I remember it was also close and barely fit behind the button without hitting. Also you have to drill the hole where the lights go in just a tad for the holder to fit in there...or you can break the tabs off of the holder and figure out how to make it work. I would say that is the best bet so that you can go back to having bulbs later if you want or if the holder doesnt turn out like you want.

I actually found these things when I was looking for LED clips to put some LEDs in my computer case. When I got them in I figured I would try them on the ACC. That is why I didnt really do much in the way of pics or a write up. I figured I would eventually get around to it but never got any new LEDs to try it out.
Old 01-08-2005, 10:00 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by disgruntled
shweet, I overlooked the fact that his A/C control unit is digital, mine is analog, but should be the same I guess. Thanks for the ans.

MCC is totally different. The bulbs (only 2 compared to 4 on the ACC) on the MCC go strait down and will probably cause more cold spots than the ACC. You just have to play with it and see.