3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Anyone here have a custom intake?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2001, 10:52 AM

I currently have a pop charger setup and I am looking for something else that feeds more air into the engine. Maybe locating the filter somewhere in the front of the car or something like that would help.
Anyone make something themselves?
If you did, then did you get gains? Was it hard to make?
Old 04-24-2001, 11:17 AM
custmmax

custom intake

Originally posted by roman
I currently have a pop charger setup and I am looking for something else that feeds more air into the engine. Maybe locating the filter somewhere in the front of the car or something like that would help.
Anyone make something themselves?
If you did, then did you get gains? Was it hard to make?
I made a custom intake for my max, cost me a total of 15 bucks.. hehe... will put pics up in my sig as soon as someone explains to me how to do it since we changed servers.( mine dont work anymore.. just look like links now.. they are also on my web page, at http://hometown.aol.com/custm42435

Old 04-24-2001, 11:22 AM

Re: custom intake

Originally posted by custmmax

I made a custom intake for my max, cost me a total of 15 bucks.. hehe... will put pics up in my sig as soon as someone explains to me how to do it since we changed servers.( mine dont work anymore.. just look like links now.. they are also on my web page, at http://hometown.aol.com/custm42435

Yeah...I took a look at yours. It's basically the same thing I have just a different filter. I'm looking for something else. Maybe a custom CAI or something. Honestly, I am not even sure what I am looking for. I guess some kind of forced induction would be nice.
Old 04-24-2001, 12:30 PM
Get Off My Lawn

There is a link in my sig to photopoint, there should be some pics there. Cost was about $15-20. This is on a VG though and the MAF was relocated easily with the filter to behind the front bumper below the driver's headlight. There are no "forced induction" bolt on's except for an electrical blower which is added to the intake pipe. Someone on the forum said they had one and seemed to like it but it looked like most on here including myself were critical of its design and reliability in providing what it promised pertaining to overall gains. Anyone else remember the company or link? I remember it being pretty expensive for what it was!
Old 04-24-2001, 12:53 PM
Maxima Princess

Re: custom intake

Originally posted by custmmax

Nevermind...I can't tell ya how to do it without it puttin an ex in the message.
Old 04-24-2001, 01:10 PM

Originally posted by Chris Gregg
There is a link in my sig to photopoint, there should be some pics there. Cost was about $15-20. This is on a VG though and the MAF was relocated easily with the filter to behind the front bumper below the driver's headlight. There are no "forced induction" bolt on's except for an electrical blower which is added to the intake pipe. Someone on the forum said they had one and seemed to like it but it looked like most on here including myself were critical of its design and reliability in providing what it promised pertaining to overall gains. Anyone else remember the company or link? I remember it being pretty expensive for what it was!
That definitley looks interesting. Do you think this setup feeds more air into the engine?
What I meant by forced induction is not what you think. e.x. locating the filter some place where the air just rushes in, I think would be better than having the filter in the back of the engine. Get it?
So that's basically what I am looking to do. Your setup I think kinda does this. My only question is if there is enough improvement over a regular pop charger setup to actually take the time and relocate the filter?
Also, having the custom look is nice. Most people either have stock, pop charger, or CAI setups but you have something different...that's cool, if it works.
Old 04-24-2001, 06:46 PM

chris greg

is that pipe in your engine a flexible one.where did you get that,home depot...what material is that
Old 04-24-2001, 10:56 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Definately flexable! It's a 3" big truck exhaust flex pipe. I got it at a small time truck shop in town for like $3.50 a foot, which you only need around 2 1/2 feet on the VG to shoot in front of the battery and down. It also came in stainless steel, I got the coated kind. I think it works great! All the benifits of a CAI, but I think it allows for a higher air velocity to be pulled through the pipe due to fewer turns, just an "arc," and shorter distance to travel, that means less surface area of the pipe in the engine compartment to heat up which would other wise heat up the air comming in.
Old 04-25-2001, 06:40 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

remind me to show you my setup on sat.

Originally posted by roman

That definitley looks interesting. Do you think this setup feeds more air into the engine?
What I meant by forced induction is not what you think. e.x. locating the filter some place where the air just rushes in, I think would be better than having the filter in the back of the engine. Get it?
So that's basically what I am looking to do. Your setup I think kinda does this. My only question is if there is enough improvement over a regular pop charger setup to actually take the time and relocate the filter?
Also, having the custom look is nice. Most people either have stock, pop charger, or CAI setups but you have something different...that's cool, if it works.