3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

i hate my drop

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2005, 10:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i hate my drop

i did the BG(?) spring drop with kyb2 and that **** is ridiculous, def more drop than advertised. i feel like i'm lying down while i drive. everyone's bumper is now lined up with my head and there is way more road noise. the handling is great... but i'd like to bring the car off the ground a little, one inch would be perfect. - i really dont want to put my old gxe springs back on... i'm sure that would blow the new struts.
is there an easy and simple answer i'm not seeing? i saw some spring seats that added an inch, but i started thinking they were kind of like spring clamps, just a really stupid idea.
t
Old 01-12-2005, 10:19 AM

how much is the drop?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

swap them out for eibachs.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 AM

the fender now comes over the rubber on the wheel about .5 inches.
that meaning - the fender, which viewed from the side, covers 1/2 an inch of the top of the tire.
t
Old 01-12-2005, 10:23 AM

yep should have gotten eibachs in the first place.
Old 01-12-2005, 10:43 AM

and those spring boosters are a bad idea right?
Old 01-12-2005, 10:47 AM
Im izz sexay

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
i did the BG(?) spring drop with kyb2 and that **** is ridiculous, def more drop than advertised. i feel like i'm lying down while i drive. everyone's bumper is now lined up with my head and there is way more road noise. the handling is great... but i'd like to bring the car off the ground a little, one inch would be perfect. - i really dont want to put my old gxe springs back on... i'm sure that would blow the new struts.
is there an easy and simple answer i'm not seeing? i saw some spring seats that added an inch, but i started thinking they were kind of like spring clamps, just a really stupid idea.
t
If you want to get rid of them pm me. I want a drop badly.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:11 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

and those spring boosters are a bad idea right?
yes...very bad.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

hehe

is it that much of a drop in the front and rear. I mean my intrax tucks the rear tire about a half an inch but not the front.

To me thats an awesome drop but I can understand how some would not like it.

Yes the boosters are a bad idea

Sell them and get Eibach

no the stock springs will not blow your struts. Your current springs will in no time though. KYB were not ment for that much drop.
Old 01-12-2005, 11:23 AM
I will eat your children

the ebiach's with the kyb's is a great drop mine just started to settle and im so glad i went that route. still more road noise but thats about the only down fall
Old 01-12-2005, 12:17 PM

dont get me wrong. i think the drop LOOKS great. i just HATE the feeling of being dropped in this car... i dont know why. my family has an audi TT that rides even lower but it feels right.
i think since this is an auto GXE i should stick with a japanese cadillac kind of feel and go back to the bouncy high springs. i'll get some pics right now
t
Old 01-12-2005, 12:19 PM

as you can see, i was wrong with my guess. i had it on a slope when i looked at it before. when i sit in the driver's seat it does reach just over the tip of the tire, in the front.
**** it, i'm taking them off right now, i guess they have about 20 miles on them. haha. what a waste of time and money. well i learned something anyway
t
Old 01-12-2005, 12:40 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

hmm yeah not as low as my intrax but still nice. I think you should be able to sell them. Also the Eibach is not much higher than that I dont think.

Good luck in selling them. If you want some SE springs I can let you have some for cheap (shipping cost only). I think the SE springs would be better than the GXE if you are going back to stock.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

The seats are higher up in the cabin in newer cars thats why it feels goofy. In my dads g35 the seats feel much higher then the max, of course the car is a bit taller but the thickness of the seats is still >
Old 01-12-2005, 01:58 PM

I like how that looks man. i wish i could afford to buy new springs i hate my GXE's jacked up look
Old 01-12-2005, 02:09 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

i really dont want to put my old gxe springs back on... i'm sure that would blow the new struts. t

if anything the lowering springs would wear the new struts faster than the stock springs
Old 01-12-2005, 02:20 PM

I think it look good.
Old 01-12-2005, 02:54 PM

yea it does look good. man these stock springs are a pain in the *** to get back on. i had to use 4 spring compressors to get it squat enough to fit the lug back on. goddam!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:18 PM

The drop looks real good. I bet they'l sag though... I know Intrax do about 1/2 inch after a year or so. Road noise can be fixed with sealing the cabin.

Doens't it feel good to be low? I want differnt seats so I'm a lil lower, lol (6ft tall).
Old 01-12-2005, 04:16 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by therealgoon9
The drop looks real good. I bet they'l sag though... I know Intrax do about 1/2 inch after a year or so. Road noise can be fixed with sealing the cabin.

Doens't it feel good to be low? I want differnt seats so I'm a lil lower, lol (6ft tall).

thats a common knock on Intrax and has no truth to it at all on the Maxima. I think someone had a honda a long time ago that had a set of intrax sag on them. All of a sudden Intrax has a bad name and people think that all Intrax for all model cars will sag

I know several people that have had their Intrax for well over a year and they dont sag.

I really wish people wouldnt generalize a certain product because of how it works on other makes.

This is not a direct attack on you just that I have heard it so often and its just untrue.
Old 01-12-2005, 04:46 PM

I meant a dude with a turbo maxi here in atlanta, he was realll low, much much lower than my sprints. He said they were much higher but they 'sagged' but I have sprints, just saying what I heard.

If all goes well I'll probubly be over sometime this summer for some paint.
Old 01-12-2005, 05:56 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I meant a dude with a turbo maxi here in atlanta, he was realll low, much much lower than my sprints. He said they were much higher but they 'sagged' but I have sprints, just saying what I heard.

If all goes well I'll probubly be over sometime this summer for some paint.

true but sagging and settling are two different things. He may have meant settled or just didnt know. My car was a little higher at first but it settled in a couple of days. Intrax are lower than sprints for the most part from what I have seen. I am tucking about an inch or so of the rear tire and about half an inch on the front. I think they are about even in the front but the rear of Intrax sits lower than most sprints I have seen. To me sagging is if the springs fail on one side or front to rear (ex. the rear all of a sudden gets lower than the front when they were even at once). I can see a spring or 2 failing...it happens but I think the work sag is often refered to settling instead of the spring actually failing (what I would consider sagging). I think we are just talking about different terminology.

I just know my springs are the same height on my 92 as they were on my 93 (granted although I have owned them for a year and a half I havent put many miles on them), Chris91SEs hasnt sagged, Dmonts hasnt sagged etc.

Also a big thing is how you install them. If for instance you install them and tighten everything up while its still jacked up then its definitely going to settle more (because the rubber bushings have to adjust to the correct height) than if you wait until its on its own weight to tighten everything (the correct way of doing it and how I did). This last way is difficult especially on a car so low but its worth it to know you dont put the rubber bushings in a bind.

Also who is to say that the springs are the problem. How many times have we seen worn out bushings on the 3rd gens. I replaced every one of mine when I put my suspension in but most dont. If they put the springs on then their rubber bushings wear out then they may think its the spring failing instead of the actual rubber.

My Chevelle used to sit crooked when I first got it (like an inch lower on one side). I assumed the springs were worn out on that side until I got under there and looked. Then I found out the body bushings were what was actually worn out. I replaced the bushings and the car sat perfect after that.

Its no big deal or anything I just think that the word sagging gets thrown around too much and is seldom the problem of the spring itself imo.

Of course I may be 100% wrong and have to revise my stance in a year or two but man if my springs sag I will really be tucking tire and scraping kit as low as the car is now.

Sounds cool...hopefully I will have all my projects out by then.
Old 01-12-2005, 07:19 PM

Scraping is brutal, at least you have a urethane kit, it's got some flex. lol.

I said sag, but i quess i meant 'settled'.

I thought my springs were messed up(drivers side seemed lower than passenger), but it was only blown struts. Now's pretty much perfect.
Old 01-12-2005, 09:01 PM

i had b+g's on tok's and it sat too low.. too low the the point where i was buying tires for the front everytime i got my oil changed.. but because my car came liek that ive been running around gettin the stock suspension and just got it put in
Old 01-12-2005, 10:33 PM

I wish my eibachs tucked
Old 01-12-2005, 10:51 PM
2 VE's are better than one!

Originally Posted by awsm66
thats a common knock on Intrax and has no truth to it at all on the Maxima. I think someone had a honda a long time ago that had a set of intrax sag on them. All of a sudden Intrax has a bad name and people think that all Intrax for all model cars will sag

I know several people that have had their Intrax for well over a year and they dont sag.

I really wish people wouldnt generalize a certain product because of how it works on other makes.

This is not a direct attack on you just that I have heard it so often and its just untrue.
I concur. In fact from what I've seen I think Intrax are probably the only ones with the 1 3/4" ish drop that dont seem to sag over time or be uneven

We all know ST's sag horribly in the back. Sprints seem to be all over the place in terms of consistent drops.

I've had my Intrax for going on 5 years now and no sagging at all
Old 01-13-2005, 12:36 AM

I thought an intrax drop is 1.5" and a sprint drop is 1.8". I don't know because I've heard alot of different things. I've heard some peaple say sprint has a 2" drop and others say it's a 1.8". I always thought and read that sprint was the lowest.
Old 01-13-2005, 09:33 AM

well the bg's are off and back to stock and the ride is 10x better. i hated being that low, felt like i was constantly giving my car a light sanding of dirt and road salt. also the understeer... didn't like that... the added cabin noise, blech.

my main issue with lowering is that, after i went back to stock - i measured the difference. it ain't no 1.5, 1.75 or even two inches. that **** was 3+ ****in inches lower than stock.
i see that most springs drop even lower, so why are they all advertised as being such low numbers when the drop is actually much more drastic?

t
Old 01-13-2005, 09:50 AM
mod or sell?

let your settle and measure again after a couple of days.
Old 01-13-2005, 10:29 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

lol yeah you need to let it settle before you measure again...your car probably looks like a 4x4 right now if it is 3" higher than it was in the pics you posted.

505max94se: Sprints are advertised as 1.8. I have seen some with sprints that were slammed and then some that looked like an old hotrod with the back sticking up higher than the front (my guess is install and not spring problems unless the Sprints actually need to settle over more time). For the most part Sprints are about the same as the intrax as far as drop goes except that Intrax is usually a little lower in the back I think.

Intrax used to be rated at 1.75 but now if you go to their site it says 1.7. The thing about the intrax though is that they are very consistant. If you see one 3rd gen with intrax you have pretty much seen them all. I havent seen the inconsistancy or complaints of the car not sitting right with Intrax as with some other companies.

I did a lot of research on the Sprints and Intrax before I got mine a year and half ago. What I saw was some people complaining about Sprints being too high in the rear or having to settle over a longer time but thats really the only compaint I saw form Sprints though. With the Intrax all I saw was priase and that it only took a day or so for them to settle in and that the drop was perfect front to rear. After really looking at a whole lot of 3rd gens with sprints and intrax I chose intrax. I could have gone either way and both are good springs but I chose Intrax and am very happy with the look and the ride.
Old 01-13-2005, 05:39 PM

My sprints were low in the the back, then the front settled and it went even. Right now still a hair shorter than the front. I even ripped half my trunk and it's still lower. Not argueing by any means. I got my sprints because they were cheap, adviertised 2inch drop (At the time) and their blue, lol. Intrax are definetly lower, the make a stock bodied max look scrapin, lol. Sprints are rough, you gotta cut off your bump stops.
Old 01-13-2005, 06:34 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

My sprints were low in the the back, then the front settled and it went even. Right now still a hair shorter than the front. I even ripped half my trunk and it's still lower. Not argueing by any means. I got my sprints because they were cheap, adviertised 2inch drop (At the time) and their blue, lol. Intrax are definetly lower, the make a stock bodied max look scrapin, lol. Sprints are rough, you gotta cut off your bump stops.
Yeah yours looks much lower in the back than a lot of sprints I have seen. I think I should have trimmed my bump stops a little. They are fine with just me and my oldest (I take her to school every morning) but when I have a trunk full of stuff and my whole family it will get a little rough on a bad road. Still not bad but definitely worse.