3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

alternator?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2001, 10:01 AM

anyone in here replaced an alternator on a 3rd gen VG? should i have a shop do it for me? it looks like it'll be a pain in the ****!
Old 04-25-2001, 02:07 PM

Alternator

I had mine replaced by the shop. Much easier than wasting my time on it.

Brent.
Old 04-25-2001, 02:16 PM

Just a suggestion here...
I am gonna get mine replaced soon and I am going to go with a higher amp alternator. That way you can put all the stereo components and whatever else draws power from the elctrical systems, safely. Someone told me they cost the same as any other alt.
Otherwise, the install definitley looks hard, just have someone do it.
Old 04-25-2001, 03:03 PM

Originally posted by roman
Just a suggestion here...
I am gonna get mine replaced soon and I am going to go with a higher amp alternator. That way you can put all the stereo components and whatever else draws power from the elctrical systems, safely. Someone told me they cost the same as any other alt.
Otherwise, the install definitley looks hard, just have someone do it.
I've never worked on a car before ando found this
to be a very easy repair. It should take under an hour to lower and install a new unit. You can check the Chilton's manual at your local library and purchase a rebuilt alternator for around $100. If you need any helf, throw
me an email.

---Paul
Old 04-25-2001, 03:06 PM
Get Off My Lawn

WHAT!!!!????

Come on! Replacing it shouldn't take any more than 30 minutes! Remove neg. cable from battery, remove wires, remove bolts, slide off belt.....get new alty, and reverse order! Not wanting to take the time is one thing but, this is definately a DIY job!
Old 04-25-2001, 10:02 PM

what???? have u seen where that god d@mn thing sits??? it's not on top iin front of the motor like every other car other wise i'd do it myself but unless ur friggin flash gordon 30 minutes my a$$crack. besides i'm not as "automotive literate" as some of u might say and for something like this i would much rather pay a mechanic. now as to the higher or "more powerful" alternator, does anyone know what i should ask for when getting one of these? because i'm pretty sure my system is what screwed this one up. thanks all
Old 04-26-2001, 06:23 AM

Originally posted by Soon2BMaxed
what???? have u seen where that god d@mn thing sits??? it's not on top iin front of the motor like every other car other wise i'd do it myself but unless ur friggin flash gordon 30 minutes my a$$crack. besides i'm not as "automotive literate" as some of u might say and for something like this i would much rather pay a mechanic. now as to the higher or "more powerful" alternator, does anyone know what i should ask for when getting one of these? because i'm pretty sure my system is what screwed this one up. thanks all

Just ask for one that puts out more amps....I think the stock one is 55 or something like that.
In terms of the install, unless I am totally wrong, that thing is at the bottom of the engine near some pulleys. That looks like a big pain to remove. Am I wrong here? Remember I have a VG.
Old 04-26-2001, 06:43 AM
STFU n00b!

You guys have a lot of issues here...

1. The OEM alternator puts out 95 amps. I've run a 1200W system in my car for years with no problems. You just need to make sure the rest of your system design is big enough- i.e. large battery, large power wires, and at least one large capacitor.

2. Changing the alternator is almost as easy as changing a tire. once you remove the plastic cover under the engine, there's 4 bolts and 3 wires/connectors to remove. it takes me 15 minutes. Yes, you read it correctly.. 15 minutes. it's not that hard at all. you don't even need to jack up the car, unless it's lowered.
Old 04-26-2001, 10:10 AM

I reccomend that instead of putting a higher grade alternator in, you should install a power capacitator for your amp. They are inexpensive & easy to install. This will stop your amp from drawing power directly from your battery/alternator, stops your head lights from dimming & stablizes the power constant to your amp giving you clear deep bass. & change the alt yourself dude.