3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

sun roof son of a |31tch

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2005, 05:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sun roof son of a |31tch

I need some advice guys, and here's the story

My sun roof shade was yellowed and were all floppy from water leaking in (previous owner), so I ripped it out, so now I'm shadeless, more over, my sunroof when closed does not align with the metal roof, but sits rather lower, kinda like it had sunken which cause a really annoying wind wooshing sound when driving at higher speed (which I do daily). So I unbolted the glass part to see what the hell was wrong, and still couldn't figure it out.

I now want to seal the sunroof with a metal plate, weld it in (I could careless about the sunroof now), so my main question is, what type of metal should I use, and where should I obtain it from? As for my other question, is there an easy way to fix the sunroof? I was think about adding metal spacers underneath the mounting brackets, but was afraid of the height differences might cause the glass to break.

Thanks in advance guys/girls.

I forgot to mention that it also rattles like **** when driving over bumpy road (which is an everyday thing for me too) arggggggggggg
Old 01-19-2005, 05:52 PM
mod or sell?

goto a yard and cut a hole in snother cars roof and use that to patch yours.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:14 PM

does your sunroof have a wind spoiler???? mine makes no wind noise!
Old 01-19-2005, 06:23 PM

yeap, original OEM wind spoiler included with OEM floppy tail with mounting points rotten off, where can I get a fiber glass spoiler with OEM styling and LEDs 3rd brake light? and how much? thanks, for the idea automart, I will need to buy a sawzall now so I can get trigger happy.
Old 01-19-2005, 06:24 PM

those r the rails that might of broken cuz the same thing happened to me and its been like this for almost 2 yrs. now. to align it just use the controls that u use to open and close the sunroof with and just align it like that with the roof. what im thinkin is if ur gonna go through the trouble of shutting it close with a piece of sheetmetal y don't u just replace the whole sunroof assembly with a used one from a junkyard??? i mean its gonna look weird that u have the sunroof controls and the headliner to go with it but u have a closed roof. so if ur gonna take the whole thing out just install a used one. i have yet done this to my car and will soon do it once i have the time. but its ur choice and im not gonna tell u to do what i say. its all up to u. just my $.02.
Old 01-19-2005, 09:09 PM

way ahead of ya with the controls shut thing, was looking for a permanent fix though, I will try the junkyard thing, but I think that it wouldn't do much good, since these things are old, and will break, plus from the glass removal, it looks like many hours will be wasted...
Old 01-20-2005, 05:02 AM
mod or sell?

the windspoiler for the sunroof makes noise over 90 mph
Old 01-20-2005, 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
way ahead of ya with the controls shut thing, was looking for a permanent fix though, I will try the junkyard thing, but I think that it wouldn't do much good, since these things are old, and will break, plus from the glass removal, it looks like many hours will be wasted...
it should only take u about 3hrs give or take to take it out and put in the new unit. not the glass im referring to the whole unit itself. there is not point of taking off the glass cuz thats not ur problem. its the rails that might have broken.
Old 01-20-2005, 05:03 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the windspoiler for the sunroof makes noise over 90 mph
Yeah but it silences again around 125mph...just whistles a little at 140...no lie!
Old 01-20-2005, 05:27 PM

i hope you didnt try that in your GXE, yikes mine topped at 120
Old 01-20-2005, 08:00 PM

Damn i guess we all have the same problems with the ****ty sunroof shades. lol i did the samething with my shade, i ripped the darn thing out and i have same problem now, roof wont align properly with the roof, i have to eyeball it and its loose and it leaks sometimes all over my nismo seats!!! i was gonna do the same thing though just go to a junkyard and get another sunroof assembly. gl
Old 01-21-2005, 04:57 AM

I guess I'm in better shape than you, since my sunroof isn't leaking, its just not aligned with the metal roof, hell, if worst comes to worst, I'll just seal the gaps with some kind of sealant, and let it be.
Old 01-21-2005, 06:59 AM

mine just doesn't align but not leaks. this is what i get for likin' sunroofs but i will be changin' the whole unit out pretty soon cuz it get annoyin' after awhile alignin' the damn thing with the feel of my fingers.
Old 02-04-2005, 09:20 AM
The Bulgarian Guy

I rememember reading somewhere here about how to align the sunroof? Can anybody share once again?

P.S.
btw, what's the diff between a sunroof and a moonroof?
Old 02-04-2005, 09:35 AM
mod or sell?

metal VS Glass
Old 02-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

same problem with mine... you can shim up the glass at the bolts that attach to the rail slides (you can get away with only the rear 2, but I did all 4 for the best fit)... eliminates leaks/wind noise and shuts perfectly in the closed position... no adjustments with the switch are necessary

cheap as hell, takes less than an hour, and you get to keep your sunroof...
beats the pants off of cutting and welding

best of luck whatever remedy you choose...

ps did this about 2 yrs ago so i don't remember step-by-step directions for removing the glass... simple enough though

pps if the constant light coming in bothers you, limo tint is your friend
Old 02-04-2005, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
metal VS Glass
That's what they used to call glass (moonroof), but too many stupid customers couldn't understand the terminology (even the salesperson at the dealer when we got out '92 GXE new couldn't get the terminology right), so they started calling them glass sunroof instead, and now I think everyone just calls them sunroof regardless of metal or glass(does any new cars even come with sunroof (versus moonroof that is)) nowdays?
Old 02-04-2005, 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by disgruntled
...I now want to seal the sunroof with a metal plate, weld it in...
Learn drive slower as u still are alive...

Whatever u do, pls no welding on the roof. Will buckle... your roof will end looking like russian electric locomotive, 'straight' from factory lol

Cut the roof piec from junkyard as automator said, add rubber seal band around its edges and 'glue' it in as a cover with the hardy silicon -like stuff.