3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1994 Electrical Problem???

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2001, 09:55 AM

I just recently bought a 1994 max with a modest 82k. I thought I had gotten a great car until a few days ago when it wouldn't start. I had it towed & the starter was replaced. The next day I get in it to go to work, turn the key... nothing. The instrument panels light up & the stereo turns on, but no start. I've gone through 4 starters this week, could it be there is an electrical problem that my mechanic hasn't detected? If anyone has had a similar experience or knows whats going on please drop me a line.
-scrizza
Old 04-26-2001, 12:45 PM

It could be the engines automatic shut of mechanism
not allowing you to start the engine.
Old 04-26-2001, 12:56 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Try starting the car in neutral....

if that works, then the solution to this prob in the Hyanes Manual and is a quick fix.

Originally posted by Scrizza Delph
I just recently bought a 1994 max with a modest 82k. I thought I had gotten a great car until a few days ago when it wouldn't start. I had it towed & the starter was replaced. The next day I get in it to go to work, turn the key... nothing. The instrument panels light up & the stereo turns on, but no start. I've gone through 4 starters this week, could it be there is an electrical problem that my mechanic hasn't detected? If anyone has had a similar experience or knows whats going on please drop me a line.
-scrizza
Old 04-26-2001, 01:05 PM
Evil Administrator - "The Problem"

It sounds to me

-scrizza
like the Neutral Safety Switch is a possibility instead of the Starter.

Was each starter 'fried' when it was replaced, or was it assumed that was the problem without further testing......

I suspect the starter is a red herring......
Old 04-26-2001, 10:02 PM

Re: It sounds to me

I had to hit the cellanoid to get her started again. I am demanding the starter be replaced once more after noticing my new starter was a refurbish job from napa. What is the Neutral Safety Switch & how do I access it to repair it as well?
Old 11-01-2001, 12:24 AM
max94

had the exact same thing on my just-purchased 94 gxe. tried to start and it wouldn't go. had no idea what it was because it was new to me. thought it was anything from security system to buttons on the door to powerlocks. since then, I jiggle the gear shifter forward and boom, starts right up. found out dealership had had to fix this before.
if anyone knows, will this lead to future problems? or is it just one of those things?

Old 11-01-2001, 12:37 AM

Re: Re: It sounds to me

I had to hit the cellanoid to get her started again. I am demanding the starter be replaced once more after noticing my new starter was a refurbish job from napa. What is the Neutral Safety Switch & how do I access it to repair it as well?
You you hit the solenoid direclty, you're bypassing any start safety switches, therefore the car is starting. My 1990 Max has the problem with the Park/Neutral safety switch as well. Sometimes I'll turn the key and nothing will happen, but the dash will light up. I then tap my gear shift lever forward or hold it there while starting and it will start fine. Normally a top forward when it's in park will work. The neutral safety switch makes sures that your car is either in Park or Neutral before allowing power to pass to the starter so that you don't try starting the car in gear and running into something. In manual transmission cars, this is normally taken care of by the clutch interlock switch that looks for the clutch to be fully depressed before lighting off the starter...

-V
Old 11-13-2001, 04:28 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: It sounds to me

Originally posted by vmok

You you hit the solenoid direclty, you're bypassing any start safety switches, therefore the car is starting. My 1990 Max has the problem with the Park/Neutral safety switch as well. Sometimes I'll turn the key and nothing will happen, but the dash will light up. I then tap my gear shift lever forward or hold it there while starting and it will start fine. Normally a top forward when it's in park will work. The neutral safety switch makes sures that your car is either in Park or Neutral before allowing power to pass to the starter so that you don't try starting the car in gear and running into something. In manual transmission cars, this is normally taken care of by the clutch interlock switch that looks for the clutch to be fully depressed before lighting off the starter...

-V
So is it also bad if it starts in every single gear?