3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

1993 Maxima SE spd, is it worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 12:20 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by rosamax
It's pretty much a fact that you can get a VQ for half the price of a VE. I do see the advantages of a third gen such as IRS and the VLSD but the the 4th gens seem much more refined, are 100lbs. lighter, and have a better motor than the VE or VG, the VQ is lighter, stronger, faster. In my experience the VQ seems like it has much more power than the VE, and thats comparing my 92 SE 5spd w/ fidanza, Y-pipe, High flow CAT, CAI, 17' rims to my 95 SE 5spd w/ Y-pipe, pop-charger, test-pipe, and stock 15's. MrGone did the 2000 that you drove have the stock 17's or any mods? I think the wheels make the 5th gens seem very slow.

Eric, I just don't think you'de be happy going from a 4th gen to a 3rd gen, especially a VG. I'd recommend test driving a VE 5 spd and a VG 5spd before going out and buying one, and read this if you havn't already:
https://maxima.org/modules.php?name=30_comparisons

And here's a few Maxima's on ebay that sold within your price range, I'm sure you could find a similar deal:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...520975162&rd=1

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...521349058&rd=1

Good luck with your car shopping, 3rd gens and 4th gens are both great cars, it's just a matter of finding the right deal.
Please show me the facts.

I will have to disagree with you about the 4th gen being more refined. There is a list of things they cheaped out on...flat plastic dash pieces just plain suck and look ugly, it is a MUST that you buy a dash kit for the 4th gen, or else it looks like a Ford econolines plastic dash (not style just material). I know mine as well as many other 4th gens shifter trims crack they are weak...lots of things to go in to. I know you owned a VE but I think your opinions are just going by "newer is better" I dont see any reason why he would not be happy with a VE, it is very similar to the VQ.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
Please show me the facts.

I will have to disagree with you about the 4th gen being more refined. There is a list of things they cheaped out on...flat plastic dash pieces just plain suck and look ugly, it is a MUST that you buy a dash kit for the 4th gen, or else it looks like a Ford econolines plastic dash (not style just material). I know mine as well as many other 4th gens shifter trims crack they are weak...lots of things to go in to. I know you owned a VE but I think your opinions are just going by "newer is better" I dont see any reason why he would not be happy with a VE, it is very similar to the VQ.
I can't show you any facts on why the 4th gen feels more refined, my opinions are based on two 4th gens that I've owned and one 3rd gen that I've owned and I think the steering feels much more refined and the motor is much more smooth on the 4th gen. As far as the interior goes, that's kind of a matter of taste, when I saw the interior on my 3rd gen I thought it looked very outdated (yet good quality), I think the 4th gen interior looks much better (plus it has cupholders ). They also hold up just as well as the 3rd gens and have been recorded to have just as many if not more miles than any VE without a rebuild.

What I meant by my original point was that I wouldn't spend $4,000 on a stock 3rd gen with 90,000 miles when you can spend the same money on a 4th gen with similar miles. The VE and VQ are comparible and I miss the topend on the VE but every time I drove it I would have to keep my ears peeled for the "dreaded" VTC noise that cost so much to fix, as well as all of the other quirky things about that motor, whereas the VQ is a Motor Trend five-consecutive-year Ten Best Engines winner that has a great track record and seems to last forever without any major work, not to mention the bolt-on turbo and supercharger available.

If you could find a VE 5spd for less money than a fourth gen you could spend the difference in mods and that would be another option. I am curious as to which way Eric is leaning though, it sounds like he's looking at that VG now.
Old 01-27-2005, 02:34 PM

Well, here's the thing. 1. I have been unsuccessfully looking for a 4th gen for a long time. I have 4000 bucks to spend, and it just isn't possible to get a comprable vehicle (look at my webpage if you want to see what I had). 2. My insurance is really high. I figure an older car with less HP is what I need right now as long as it is reliable and solid. 3. I fully plan on new suspension (KYB GR 2 w/ B&G suspension 1.6 in drop) Custom exhaust (Warpspeed y-pipe, b-pipe, fabricated 4th gen exhaust at the end), and putting my 2002 SE wheels and 4th gen intake on it. So it should be pretty rewarding to drive even if it is old.

Sidenote- do I need to worry about the "ticking" with the VG? How do you look (listen, rather) for it and when does it usually happen? This has been a really successful thread and I am learning alot about 3rd gens, thanks guys!
Old 01-27-2005, 02:37 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by rosamax
I can't show you any facts on why the 4th gen feels more refined, my opinions are based on two 4th gens that I've owned and one 3rd gen that I've owned and I think the steering feels much more refined and the motor is much more smooth on the 4th gen. As far as the interior goes, that's kind of a matter of taste, when I saw the interior on my 3rd gen I thought it looked very outdated (yet good quality), I think the 4th gen interior looks much better (plus it has cupholders ). They also hold up just as well as the 3rd gens and have been recorded to have just as many if not more miles than any VE without a rebuild.

What I meant by my original point was that I wouldn't spend $4,000 on a stock 3rd gen with 90,000 miles when you can spend the same money on a 4th gen with similar miles. The VE and VQ are comparible and I miss the topend on the VE but every time I drove it I would have to keep my ears peeled for the "dreaded" VTC noise that cost so much to fix, as well as all of the other quirky things about that motor, whereas the VQ is a Motor Trend five-consecutive-year Ten Best Engines winner that has a great track record and seems to last forever without any major work, not to mention the bolt-on turbo and supercharger available.

If you could find a VE 5spd for less money than a fourth gen you could spend the difference in mods and that would be another option. I am curious as to which way Eric is leaning though, it sounds like he's looking at that VG now.
I am not going to turn this into a war again, but basically to an enthusiast the VE is a MUCH better choice. There are LOTS of 4th gens around and clean VE 5 speeds are becoming rare and holding their value. I just ran a KBB check and my 97 is only worth $300 more than my 92 and that is with me adding in 290k on the mileage of the 3rd gen...
Old 01-27-2005, 05:19 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
I am not going to turn this into a war again, but basically to an enthusiast the VE is a MUCH better choice. There are LOTS of 4th gens around and clean VE 5 speeds are becoming rare and holding their value. I just ran a KBB check and my 97 is only worth $300 more than my 92 and that is with me adding in 290k on the mileage of the 3rd gen...
That's cool, I don't want to start a war either. I appreciate the 3rd gens too, especially the VE, I guess I'm just happy so far with the 4th gen. I don't mean to sound like an arrogant 4th gen owner or something, I love both cars, but just love the fourth gen a bit more.

Eric, I got my 95 SE 5spd for $2800 and it's in excellent condition, 128,000 miles, y-pipe, pop-charger, B&M short-throw, lots of new parts as well, so there are deals like that out there but you might not be in a position to wait around for one. As far as insurance, there wasn't any difference between covering my 3rd gen or 4th gen. And as far as the plans you have for a third gen if that's what you get, it sounds it will be a great car and I always love seeing a modded 3rd gen. And to answer your question, the VG doesn't tick because it doesn't have VTC's (variable timing control ?), and it's a very reliable motor, one nice thing about it is that you can turbo the motor with parts from an 84-89 300zx.
Old 01-27-2005, 07:52 PM

UPDATE! UPDATE! NEW CAR ALERT!

Tell me what you think of this one. For the price it seems (on paper/pictures) to be much better for the money. Just wondered what you thought. If it checks out I would say this is a better deal but what do you guys think? Again what do i need to look for in terms of problems with this model yr?

heres the link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=y&cardist=239
Old 01-27-2005, 08:08 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Paint looks good, decent miles, better price. Go take a look at it and test drive it, looks like a nice car
Old 01-27-2005, 08:37 PM
Ford Only.

remember the Nike logo?
Old 01-27-2005, 09:00 PM

Stay away!

That one's mine!!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:22 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Eric95se
UPDATE! UPDATE! NEW CAR ALERT!

Tell me what you think of this one. For the price it seems (on paper/pictures) to be much better for the money. Just wondered what you thought. If it checks out I would say this is a better deal but what do you guys think? Again what do i need to look for in terms of problems with this model yr?

heres the link:

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...=y&cardist=239
I think that one has been for sale for a while.
I'm pretty sure it came up in my search when I was looking to replac mine
Old 01-28-2005, 06:45 AM

ok, so it has been for sale for a while, it is at a shady little dealer lot, and they wont pick up the phone. its all yours Pulsar...
Old 01-28-2005, 08:25 AM

lol. No, I'm not going to buy it.

I've actually got my eye on a much less nice VE for sale locally.
Old 01-28-2005, 08:56 AM
mod or sell?

he's stalking my red VE5
Old 01-28-2005, 10:00 AM

Yours isn't local I'm talking about that white one.

$100 for the red one!!! Cmon! You could buy...stuff!...with that.
Old 01-29-2005, 03:52 PM
mod or sell?

I could, sell the HU and CD changer for that!
now get real, you know you want it.