3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wobbly Rotor...i think

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 07:44 PM

Wobbly Rotor...i think

Ok guys...I'm stuck.
Summary - Front right makes a rubbing sound and makes the car pull more to the right....

About a month ago I had to put new bolts in my front right hub because they sheared off. Yesterday I replaced the cv joint on the front left side. While doing this noticed that there was a washer behind the axle nut and in front of the hub (left front side), also the hub wouldnt come off at all. BUT, on the front right side there was no washer and the hub came off very easily, regardless of there not being a washer. I went to pep boys a few mins. ago and got a new washer for the right side. I thought that the washer would put pressure on the hub and rotor and it still makes that sound and pulls the car right.

So im not sure if it really is the rotor making the sound or if it is something else now.....
Old 01-29-2005, 10:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Buy a Blemco rotor, the worst that happens is it doesnt fix it, you supported a good guy and have an awesome looking rotor.
Old 01-29-2005, 11:15 PM
Vadim-93GXE

does the rotor itself have a smooth surface, or has it been warped?

Old 01-29-2005, 11:53 PM

it has a smooth surface...
Old 01-30-2005, 12:03 AM
Vadim-93GXE

did you try getting a wheel allignment?

Old 01-30-2005, 12:05 AM

By the way what is a wheel seal and or what is its purpose?
What could be the reason that the left hub wouldn't come off at all, and the right hub just slide off and I took off the axle nut..?
But whichever one, the hub or the rotor is wobbly, and is making a rubbing noise...and i can also feel the rubbing vibration off of the gas pedal.
Old 01-30-2005, 12:06 AM

no i dont have the money yet for that, been trying the fix it yourself way, with guidance.. lol
Old 01-30-2005, 12:09 AM
Vadim-93GXE

ok first of all.. did you get a wheel allighment? maybe thats why your being pulled to the side, and the rubbing might be a different problem all together. And second, do you get any kind of noise when this "rubbing" occurs. Like a "wooshing" noise maybe?

Old 01-30-2005, 12:13 AM

yes indeed i do..not so much a wooshin sound but sort of a constant grinding noise, with a rotation. As the wheel rotates thew noise backs off then gets louder then backs off again in a continual pattern.....helpful? lol
Old 01-30-2005, 12:28 AM
Vadim-93GXE

well, im not an expert.. but from what it sounds like, your "hub bearing" is no good. i am speaking from experience, since I had this sense of rubbing going on too, when mine went bad. A hub bearing is this thing on the axel I believe and it makes the axels spin freely. and if something goes wrong with that hub bearing it will start making that sound. I also believe it might start pulling to the side a bit if Im not mistaken if you leave it messed up like that for too long, because mine started to pull during the time of the hub bearing issue. could be related. not sure. maybe somebody who has a bit more experience with this can help out. try 4DSC.com.. they can be helpful sometimes. And also the thing you said before about you having trouble taking the hub off.. hey, sometimes things get really old and rusted over time and aren't too fun to take off. maybe that was the case. ask around somemore, but im pretty sure it is the hub bearing on the side where you here the noise coming from.

Old 01-30-2005, 12:30 AM

k, ill check into it...and ill post back thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 12:32 AM

how did you get it replaced, was it hard? a long process? The guy at napa said its no fun to replace because you have to press the bearing in..
Old 01-30-2005, 12:39 AM
Vadim-93GXE

i drove around with that annoying noise for about 2 months until I could get enough money to fix it. I would do it myself but I just don't have the resources tools, garage, etc. If you do, you might be better off doing it yourself. Just find out how first. It's not hard. Took the mechanic about 40 minutes to do.. Would have been faster if he wasn't talkin so much. The process didn't seem hard, he took off the wheel, unscrewed some bolts and popped out the hub bearing. I remember him doing some stuff at the "work table" to it. And he pressed the bearing in with a massive hammer from what I remember. He did look like he had some trouble, so your friend might be right about it being un-fun. Im not sure how much the part alone is, but all together I paid $120. Might be a rip off, who knows. :-/

Old 01-30-2005, 07:33 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by mtnbikeair
Buy a Blemco rotor, the worst that happens is it doesnt fix it, you supported a good guy and have an awesome looking rotor.
Matt doesn't make rotors.

op- you may have a warped rotor which will look smooth but still in reality be wavey.
Old 01-30-2005, 09:00 AM

jack it up then and hand turn the wheel?
See if it makes that noise...?
Old 01-30-2005, 11:41 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

See my "other" reply....

You can't really do a wheel bearing 100% yourself without some big tools and a press for the bearing. You have to tighten (and undo first) the axle nut to 200 ft-lb, but I assume you've done this already with your other repairs. You could always remove everything yourself, take the new bearing and hub to a shop and get them to replace it, and then take it home and put it back in. You probably should get a wheel alignment afterwards because you have to undo the two bolts connecting the strut to the knuckle. I paid to have it done because it was freezing out, the noise was iritating, and I really didn't feel like taking everything apart a second time.

No, I wouldn't jack it up and try just spinning it by hand. You probably won't be able to tell very much that way. You could try driving it up on stands at home, but it's kind of dangerous. (Again, see "other" reply.)
Old 01-30-2005, 03:22 PM

autozone can actualy turn the rotor for you, if it is not to wasted/worn. turn = shave it evenly smooth.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:15 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Probably nothing.... just different suppliers. I would get the Beck/Arnley one though, since I know Matt once bought a BCA replacement tranny bearing and it looked pretty cheap.

EDIT: Eh??? What happened to the last post? Oh well, that's my opinion anyway.
Old 01-30-2005, 10:18 PM

sorry thanks for the advice...i tried putting it in the main so that someone would answer faster lol thanks
Old 01-30-2005, 10:20 PM

i was looking around at the prices at rockauto.com, pretty good i thought
Old 01-31-2005, 07:53 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by meezy
i was looking around at the prices at rockauto.com, pretty good i thought
and easily beat
Old 02-02-2005, 02:01 PM

i just got a free inspection from brakes plus and they said that the rubbing on the front right side is from my engine mounts coming apart, does this sound right?