3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

electric question should i add a fuse?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2005, 09:22 PM

electric question should i add a fuse?

I want to hard wire my radar detector and since ive got a sunroof, i thought i would run wire up there and power it off whats running the sunroof. Would this be a good idea?

Should i add a fuse to this? and would it be ok to just put a fuse on the wire that runs to the power to save running wires to fusebox?

this would save me from having a wire hang down in front of my head unit and it would open up my cig lighter for my celly.

PS, thanks to craigB i dont have to push that darn cruise control button anymore, that rocks!
Old 01-29-2005, 09:41 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I would
Old 01-29-2005, 09:42 PM

um you would what?
run a fuse to the fuse box, or just add a fuse on the power wire up in the sunroof area?

what kind of fuse would be easiest?

ps mrGone, i finally need that midpipe i said i was going to buy. u still have any?
Old 01-29-2005, 09:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

why don't you just tap into the cig lighter wires since it was designed withstand heavy amps usage(can safely use multiple components from one spot)? It is also much easier to do, and it will also leave your cig lighter port for your cellie as well. As adding a fuse, I think generally it would be a good idea to do so if you tend to play with your electrical system alot and are prone to short stuff out, but if you're careful, I don't think a fuse is needed, since the car's electrical system are somewhat stable, and do not fluctuate or spike that badly.

As for your fuse question, I think the long tube type fuses works best, since your can basically electrical tape that thing to the wire or buy a cheap *** holder from radio shack. As to where to place the fuse, I think just put the fuse on your hot wire to the radar, about 6 inches before it actually reaches the radar unit(kinda like how the aftermarket HUs have their fuses).

Hope this helps
Old 02-03-2005, 11:34 AM

well i opend up the cord that goes from my radar detector to my cig outlet. I found a fuse, the long tube type, inside the thing!! i wasnt expecting that, so I am going to get one of those wires that allows you to extend the length of cords that plug into the cig. lighter. That way i can still have it fused and if i ever decide to get a new car or add a different accessory it will be super quick to do.

Ill take the extended end and cut it off and tap into the cig lighter wires behind the dash. FYI for anyone wanting to do this.
Old 02-03-2005, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
well i opend up the cord that goes from my radar detector to my cig outlet. I found a fuse, the long tube type, inside the thing!! i wasnt expecting that, so I am going to get one of those wires that allows you to extend the length of cords that plug into the cig. lighter. That way i can still have it fused and if i ever decide to get a new car or add a different accessory it will be super quick to do.

Ill take the extended end and cut it off and tap into the cig lighter wires behind the dash. FYI for anyone wanting to do this.

Most probably u have a fused hot wire already up there. Use that [not with piggyback] but cut insulation off, solder, rubbertape on.
Old 02-03-2005, 01:11 PM

what do you mean piggyback?

what i meant was i would get a cord that makes your current cord to cig lighter longer. then id cut that off and wire power to power and ground to ground. that way its already fused.
Old 02-04-2005, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
what do you mean piggyback?

what i meant was i would get a cord that makes your current cord to cig lighter longer. then id cut that off and wire power to power and ground to ground. that way its already fused.

You can get a tester with ***** pin, 5$, to seek out hot wire through wire insulation up there. Easy to clip that wire and solder new one in, no hassle with wire routing up there. (Or use screw terminals.)

The existing win fuse can stand your device current draw.

Piggyback: there are car add on connectors that you can install & 'rob' connect to existing wires without cutting any wires. These will be lame after year or so: possible fire hazard, nasty faults for sure.