3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

15.268 @ 92.89mph

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2001, 05:29 PM

I went to the import challenge today and got only one run in due to the event raining out. Anyways the only mod I have is a stillen intake. I ran a best of 15.55@91.2 stock with gutted trunk and 22lbs front tires. The only difference this time was 5 degrees timing advance, the stillen intake, and I removed the pass. and rear seat. I feel that I will be running a 15.1 within a week or so, b/c I got a free pass from the rainout, and I spun my tires a little too much on my launch and I hit the rev limiter in first gear before my shift. My car was feeling really strong today. Here are my new times(stock times):
r/t .928 (.835)
60' 2.454(2.500)
330' 6.538(6.704)
1/8 9.916(no time)
mph 72.46(no mph)
1000' 12.823(13.078)
1/4 15.268(15.554)
mph 92.89(91.20)
I am kinda surprised that on the only run I got this while it took me 8 runs last time to get a 15.5 with 2 15.6's.
I have a WSP Y on order, and with that and a little more practice I am pretty sure 14's aren't far......
Old 04-28-2001, 07:15 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

SWEET!!!

definently should be seeing 14's with that Y-pipe, just to assure it why not get full 2.5" catback and hi-flow cat too!? none the less.....GREAT TIMES!!

Originally posted by Czar
I went to the import challenge today and got only one run in due to the event raining out. Anyways the only mod I have is a stillen intake. I ran a best of 15.55@91.2 stock with gutted trunk and 22lbs front tires. The only difference this time was 5 degrees timing advance, the stillen intake, and I removed the pass. and rear seat. I feel that I will be running a 15.1 within a week or so, b/c I got a free pass from the rainout, and I spun my tires a little too much on my launch and I hit the rev limiter in first gear before my shift. My car was feeling really strong today. Here are my new times(stock times):
r/t .928 (.835)
60' 2.454(2.500)
330' 6.538(6.704)
1/8 9.916(no time)
mph 72.46(no mph)
1000' 12.823(13.078)
1/4 15.268(15.554)
mph 92.89(91.20)
I am kinda surprised that on the only run I got this while it took me 8 runs last time to get a 15.5 with 2 15.6's.
I have a WSP Y on order, and with that and a little more practice I am pretty sure 14's aren't far......
Old 04-28-2001, 07:22 PM

I might.... wonder if I should get a $25 straight pipe or the $100 high flow cat? I think that my conscience will get the best of me(for the environment's sake). Whats a good 2.5 catback system with decent quality(i.e. Stainless Steel)and non-obnoxious noise? How much do you think this is going to kill my low end?
I really should be spending money on susp. mods, wheels, and get my kit on after I get 14's.
Old 04-28-2001, 08:15 PM

hey i was thinking about a straight pipe too instead of the cat. how loud do you think it would get?

anyways heres my times today(VE auto,CAI,Magnaflow DTM,gutted trunk) not impressive but just thought i'd share:

16.2 @ 86 mph
2.6 60 foot
and 1.2 react time
what do you think could i improve on that??

the track was kinda wet today!
Old 04-28-2001, 08:28 PM

4th gen VQ 5 spd that... Hell ya, nice runs!
Old 04-28-2001, 09:27 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

STRAIGHT PIPE!!!

screw those environmentalists! why not get the WSP set-up? and since I suppose you're still running on your stock exhaust piping(which shows the durability of aluminized piping) why not just get aluminized instead of SS and save some bucks! I doubt you'll notice the loss in low end, since it'll probably be insignificant. man screw a body kit and wheels....I say ALL GO and F*CK SHOW...

Originally posted by Czar
I might.... wonder if I should get a $25 straight pipe or the $100 high flow cat? I think that my conscience will get the best of me(for the environment's sake). Whats a good 2.5 catback system with decent quality(i.e. Stainless Steel)and non-obnoxious noise? How much do you think this is going to kill my low end?
I really should be spending money on susp. mods, wheels, and get my kit on after I get 14's.
Old 04-29-2001, 12:54 AM

Re: STRAIGHT PIPE!!!

No cat is a federal offense, it's not a little dink, it's BIG. There have been stories circulating that police are setting up road blocks outside race tracks looking for illegal mods such as the straight pipe. Is a few seconds more really worth a big slap on the wrist?
Old 04-29-2001, 01:05 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

A risk you gotta take!!

who said it was legal anyways...... what gives the cops the right to "search" your car without cause anyways?? the only way I think they could get you is if they catch you at the "illegals" and do the usual "illegal mod" search, but other than that what gives them the right to search the car with out probable cause?? its not like you were street racing, but participating in a sanctioned racing event.....

Originally posted by ngthing
No cat is a federal offense, it's not a little dink, it's BIG. There have been stories circulating that police are setting up road blocks outside race tracks looking for illegal mods such as the straight pipe. Is a few seconds more really worth a big slap on the wrist?
Old 04-29-2001, 01:24 AM

i totally agree with da max, screw the freaking cops. get a straight pipe or better yet, like what i am going to do, gut the cat but put a straight pipe in the gutted cat so that it looks like you still have your stock cat. my friend just got his done (integra - cold air intake, headers, gutted cat with straight pipe inside, full cat back, and hi flow muffler) and his car is loud as hell, especailly when the vtec kicks in, it just screams! we got pulled over and the cop was wondering why our exhaust was so loud. the cop gets out a mirror on a stick thing and looks under the car, sees the stock cat still there and with nothing else wrong, he let us go. just something to think about.
Old 04-29-2001, 01:34 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Damn.....

cops are that serious about that stuff around your way that use mirrors...WOAH! the only things cops look for in my area are "blue" bulbs(thank goodness their "performance" uneducated!!)...but with the big transition from stickers and "rice" to actual performance modifying going on in my area I guess it might be better to play it safe, since the cops might be getting wiser! you know what would be a good idea "fake me out cat converters".......just a straight pipe with a cat converter "looking" cover around it.....screw the system!!!

Originally posted by nodoubt711
i totally agree with da max, screw the freaking cops. get a straight pipe or better yet, like what i am going to do, gut the cat but put a straight pipe in the gutted cat so that it looks like you still have your stock cat. my friend just got his done (integra - cold air intake, headers, gutted cat with straight pipe inside, full cat back, and hi flow muffler) and his car is loud as hell, especailly when the vtec kicks in, it just screams! we got pulled over and the cop was wondering why our exhaust was so loud. the cop gets out a mirror on a stick thing and looks under the car, sees the stock cat still there and with nothing else wrong, he let us go. just something to think about.
Old 04-29-2001, 01:48 AM

no, that cop was just being a *****. that fake me out cat thing is pretty good idea but its pretty much the same thing i just mentioned above but still a good idea.
Old 04-29-2001, 02:06 PM

Doing the suspension will plant the power.

I saw a big difference is tire spin after I did the eibach/tokico setup.
Yo I think gutting the cat is a pretty cool idea!
Old 04-29-2001, 09:40 PM

from my personal experience dont run a stright pipe. With a 2.5 exhaust and a peformance muffler a striaght pipe will only hurt you 1/4 mile times. Our engines dont produse enough hp to make power out of the decreased backpressure. My car was slower when I ran a srtaigt pipe. Go with a high flow cat, or but a V-8 that cab actually turn the stright pipe exhaust into real hp.
Old 04-29-2001, 10:30 PM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

There was a discussion about this.....

the other day on this forum.....there were some guys who said straight pipe does make a difference and then there were others who said it doesn't... I'm so confused!!! the only way I'm gonna find out is when I try it this summer. since I'm gonna get the full WSP exhaust(w/ cat) in June, I'll have my friend at the local muffler shop fab a stright pipe and maybe if I have time, I'll dyno at EIP and take it to the 1/4th mile and at least on my part settle the eternal argument over the effectiveness of the "straight pipe"!

Originally posted by chris92gxe
from my personal experience dont run a stright pipe. With a 2.5 exhaust and a peformance muffler a striaght pipe will only hurt you 1/4 mile times. Our engines dont produse enough hp to make power out of the decreased backpressure. My car was slower when I ran a srtaigt pipe. Go with a high flow cat, or but a V-8 that cab actually turn the stright pipe exhaust into real hp.
Old 04-29-2001, 10:39 PM

I think I am going the cat route. I want to get all my times in 'street' trim, and I am not gonna cheat. I weighed my max last night w/o everything in it(gutted trunk, rear seat, and pass. seat--I filled up all the way cuz I was running seriously low) and my car weighed 3140 lbs. w/o me on one of those truck scales . The scale said 2080 front/1060 rear. I tell you it made a definite difference in power running minus 150 lbs. of stuff(100 lbs of nissan stuff & 50 lbs worth of box-speakers-amp. It takes me about 45 minutes total to take out/put back all the stuff... I think its worth it for the ~.15 sec. and the feel like your car could kick any car's butt.