3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Wheels spacers

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2005, 10:04 AM

Wheels spacers

I bought some 18x7.5 Enkei rims about 6 months ago and I don't like the way they look as far as how wide they look...I got an extremely good deal on these ($300 for rims and 2 new and 2 half used tires) so I'm not gonna get rid of them. I was just wondering if i could put wheel spacers on to make the car look like it has a wider wheel base and to make the wheels closer to being flush with the lip of the wheel well. If anyone has done this without purchasing longer studs I would like to know the maximum amount of spacing I could do safely
Old 02-06-2005, 10:06 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by 90MAXGMG
I bought some 18x7.5 Enkei rims about 6 months ago and I don't like the way they look as far as how wide they look...I got an extremely good deal on these ($300 for rims and 2 new and 2 half used tires) so I'm not gonna get rid of them. I was just wondering if i could put wheel spacers on to make the car look like it has a wider wheel base and to make the wheels closer to being flush with the lip of the wheel well. If anyone has done this without purchasing longer studs I would like to know the maximum amount of spacing I could do safely
I think 1/4" is the most you can do without going to longer studs.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Important question: What is your tire size and the offset of those wheels?

If it's close to the maximum you can squeeze in on a Max I wouldn't fool around with the offset because you might find yourself rubbing a fender. IMO using spacers for purely cosmetic reasons like this isn't a very good use of money (for quality spacers) or a very good reason to do it.

(BTW, you're trying to increase the apparent width of the vehicle's "track", not "wheelbase".)
Old 02-06-2005, 12:29 PM

Tire size is 225/40/ZR18. I need to know either where to find the offset or how to figure it. Its raining here right now but i might go out and try to find it anyway.
If I do get the wheel spacers i was just going to get them from pep boys. I know they will be cheap. they just look like a large washer with hole for the studs
Old 02-06-2005, 12:30 PM

Sorry about the "wheelbase" thing I don't know much about those things
Old 02-06-2005, 08:46 PM

If they don't rub or create problems, why bother with them? Not trying to pick on you, but IMHO the only thing spacers are good for is to put more stress on wheel bearings. If the back spacing is about the same as stock, I wouldn't mess with it. To measure backspacing, pull the wheel off the car and lay face down on the ground. Lay a straightedge across the outside of the rim, and measure from the straightedge to the flange.
Old 02-07-2005, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by ke5adb
If they don't rub or create problems, why bother with them? Not trying to pick on you, but IMHO the only thing spacers are good for is to put more stress on wheel bearings. If the back spacing is about the same as stock, I wouldn't mess with it. To measure backspacing, pull the wheel off the car and lay face down on the ground. Lay a straightedge across the outside of the rim, and measure from the straightedge to the flange.
I agree ... the only reason why I have 1.5" spacers on my truck is to decrease center of gravity (with 7" lift). And I'm talking very good quality spacers (meaning expensive). BTW, those are for off-roading only (!!!).
So ... I'd avoid spacers, if possible.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:00 AM

3mm spacers on the rear, for my is300's. the stud's threads just cover the last thread on the lug. (perfect)...luck
Old 02-07-2005, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ke5adb
.............If the back spacing is about the same as stock, I wouldn't mess with it. To measure backspacing, pull the wheel off the car and lay face down on the ground. Lay a straightedge across the outside of the rim, and measure from the straightedge to the flange.
No one uses backspacing anymore except maybe some old school domestic car owners. Offset is what most wheels are marked with these days and is a superior measurement for custom fitting because it doesn't depend on wheel width.

You'll usually find offset marked on the back of the wheel as "+40" or "ET40" or something like that for a +40mm offset wheel (for example).
Old 02-07-2005, 10:01 AM
mod or sell?

how can you claim offset to be a better measurement than backspace?
backspace will tell you if the rim wil hit anything.
Offset only tells you how far off deadcenter the mounting surface is.

I have 12" rims with a 38mm offset, think that will fit?
Old 02-07-2005, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
how can you claim offset to be a better measurement than backspace?
backspace will tell you if the rim wil hit anything.
Offset only tells you how far off deadcenter the mounting surface is.

I have 12" rims with a 38mm offset, think that will fit?
Even if you have the backspacing number, that doesn't tell you anything about fitment by itself, and won't guarantee that the tire/wheel will fit on the OUTSIDE face. What if you have 12" wide wheels with 5" backspacing, does that automatically tell you the 7" sticking out the other side will clear the fenders? Like offset, backspacing is just a measurement that doesn't tell you everything.

Besides this, wheel width is only half the story, since tire, not wheel, fitment is the ultimate goal. In the end you still need to know (or measure) how much room you have on both sides of the mounting surface so you know how large a tire you can run. Pick a tire size first, find out what offset or range of offsets will allow you to run that tire, and then find a wheel that can mount the tire, has a right offset, and doesn't exceed any of the maximum dimensions. Alternatively you can do it backwards and allow a wider range of offsets by choosing a narrower tire, if you're trying to fit a particular wheel for example. Sure, it's not simple, but using backspacing instead of offset doesn't make it much easier and this kind of figuring out isn't something the average person does anyway.

When choosing wheels offset is a better spec to deal with, because it's "universal" and doesn't change with wheel width. Let's say you want to fit a 225 width tire, so you know you can mount it on say, 7", 7.5", and 8" wheels. It's less confusing and simpler to shop for "+40" wheels than trying to figure out the backspacing number for different widths and comparing that way. Better and easier for the average consumer.

It's not like I'm the one who decided to switch to the offset system.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:05 AM
mod or sell?

whatever
there is so much information that is needed to get a wheel that fits correctly that it isn't even funny
Old 02-08-2005, 04:02 PM

Um, ok....I'm not even going to comment anymore, I guess Bman allready knows everything anyways. Besides, if you put a 12" wide wheel on anything but a dragster or big truck, you need your a$$ kicked. If I ordered a 10" wide wheel and it has 6" inches of backspacing, How much more wheel is left? It's not complicated. If you were wheel shopping, and told ANY wheel place what you wanted, say a 16X8 with 4 1/2" backspacing, they would know exactly what you are talking about. So don't tell me backspacing is useless. Have a good day!
Old 02-09-2005, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the help and information. I have decided not to get spacers based on the information about the bearings wearing out quickly. I wouldn't have the money to replace them. Thanks again
Old 02-10-2005, 06:05 PM

They aren't too hard to replace. You can do them without a press, but it's a PITA. Wheel bearings are around $37.00 each.
Old 02-10-2005, 06:06 PM

But I'd say good move not going with the spacers.