3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

new paint job?$$$

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2000, 11:29 AM
2 VE's are better than one!

ive been thinking that after basketball season that i'll try and get a new paint job. at first i was thinking about getting it painted black, but i figured i'd get it painted the same color to save money on door jambs, engine bay, etc.
so how much should i expect to pay? i would need some dent repair too. oh yeah and get the factory style spoiler put on and painted. i was thinking hopefully under $1000? any advise?
Old 10-06-2000, 11:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

You get what you pay for-->

$1000 will get you $100o paint job, $2000 etc....

I would seriously look at a shop's $1000 job before considering it.
Old 10-06-2000, 12:44 PM
STFU n00b!

Just this week I was quoted $850 to simply paint the bumper, door, fender, and mirror...
the whole car will cost $2000+ for a good paint job- especially if you have bodywork to do and want a wing put on.
Old 10-09-2000, 10:05 PM

You can get a paint job at Maaco for I think $900. This is the best quality job they offer. Its like a custom paint job. Ive heard some bad things about their deals that they have for like $200 but thi sone is completely different. If you have a Maaco in your area you can call them and ask for details. They quoted me $1100 because I want to change the whole color of my car. I decided now that I'm just giong to paint my car myself with the help of one of my friends. The Maaco deal is definitely the cheapest place I have found. It cant be too bad because I'm pretty sure it comes witha good warranty.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-10-2000, 06:05 AM

yeah my dad has a friend who is a body shop teacher at a high school around here and i'll see what he thinks.
Old 10-10-2000, 07:10 AM
STFU n00b!

You don't want to change the color of your car.. period.. unless you've got a neutral color like black, white, or grey underneath, nothing will match unless you completely strip the car and paint the door sills and engine bay.. that entails weeks of work and MUCH more $$ than what a MAACO job will be..

a MAACO paint job is one where the sand the whole car down with 600 grit, mask off the glass, and spray new color on. definitely NOT a quality job... the difference between the $900 job and the $200 job is that they put a couple more coats of color and a "special urethane coat" on top of the clear. so all in all, you get a thicker layer of cheap paint that will peel off in a few months.
Old 10-10-2000, 01:47 PM

yeah i'm thinking just get it painted the factory color. i'm not too fond of the light blue on my car now. but i guess once i take that wing off and get some rims and stuff, it'll be ok. skymax has the same color and his car and it was tight. i am a little surprised by the maaco paint though. my friends grandmother got a car painted, the $200 job, and it has held up nice for a couple of years. although they didnt sand it at all. they just sprayed the sealer and then the top coat. so up close it doesnt look too good. massive da sander marks all over the place. she let them fill a couple of dents and they didnt even bother to feather edge the bondo.
Old 10-10-2000, 02:14 PM

Well what do you expect for $200. I would get the Maaco custom paint job if I were you. It should be a pretty decent job. Why dont you get it done and tell us how it is! HA HA.

92GXE, touring wing, 18” racing wheels, Port&Polished intake, custom intake, custom yellow interior, racing seats, back seats taken out and replaced with subs and amps, NOS kit, Suspension tech. Lowering springs, custom grille, soon to be custom painted and have the whole engine rebuilt for big shot NOS and custom SC and tranny converted to 5-speed.

Old 10-10-2000, 02:30 PM

if i even thought about doing that it would have to be a very good and trusted shop. i've seen some of the $200 maaco jobs that are really nice and some that are really sorry. i guess my main concern is i dont want the maaco brand paint on my car. the $200 job is with the maaco paint, although i might consider it. i would take off as much as i could and maybe do the body work myself. that way i could ensure that it was done right. and it would have to be after march cuz we're defintitely making the playoffs this year.
Old 10-10-2000, 10:01 PM

Do any of you guys have any experience in painting cars. I was going to paint my car on my own because I got some really good paint from a friend and I have all of the tools. I figured that I would save a lot of money and I sure that I could do a decent job if I take my time. I guess if I **** things up then I'll have to pay someone to fix it but I wanted to know if you guys had any tips first.
Old 10-10-2000, 10:05 PM

how much would it cost to just paint the black trim on the bottom?
Old 10-10-2000, 10:10 PM

Whatever you do, paint the grille the same color! :0)

Old 10-10-2000, 10:35 PM

I painted the trim on my Max by myself. It actually looks real good. Its blue like the other accents on my car. It really makes the appearance look a lot better. I used good spray paint to do it. It may sound crappy but it looks nice and it has lasted. The trim seems to be holding up better than the body. If you go that route you just need to take your time when you tape the car up. Its pretty simple since there is already a line in the trim to line it up with.

Old 10-11-2000, 02:08 PM

if you have good motor skills you can paint the car yourself. my brother and i have painted two of his cars by ourselves. i'll try to post some pics of us painting his camaro. i just dont feel like screwing around with all the stuff this time. we also had to do it in our garage and its a hassle having to sand out all the imperfections constantly. you really need a paint booth to do it right, but it can be done in a garage or whatever. just takes time and patience. just be sure to practice before you do the real thing.

BTW, kaleb, you hatin' on my grille? i know it doesnt look right. i just couldnt find any matching paint at the time and white was the only nuetral color that matched o.k. but it will be fixed soon.
Old 10-11-2000, 02:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

Chris. Just becuase you have the tools-->

Absolutely doesn't mean you have the skill to prep/paint a car. ESPECIALLY A METALLIC. It's like saying, "I have a paint and brushes, can I paint like Mattisse?" There is alot of skill and talent required to do even a decent paint job. I used to screw around on my 510 w/ body and paint skills. I painted 3-4 cars and still would not want to attemp to paint metallics(light metallics are the worst to spray)

And just a note. NE1 expecting a Maaco paint job to turn out anywhere close to a factory Nissan paint when new, is basicly dreaming.

"You get what you pay for" most certainly applies here.

Originally posted by chris92gxe
I painted the trim on my Max by myself. It actually looks real good. Its blue like the other accents on my car. It really makes the appearance look a lot better. I used good spray paint to do it. It may sound crappy but it looks nice and it has lasted. The trim seems to be holding up better than the body. If you go that route you just need to take your time when you tape the car up. Its pretty simple since there is already a line in the trim to line it up with.

Old 10-11-2000, 02:25 PM

chris, you trying metallics? you most definitaly need to have a perfect stroke and be able to properly overlap the strokes. this will take practice. if you dont do it right you will end up with heavy spots and it wont look good. especially with metallics and candies. but if you practice and practice and practice some more you will get good at it. see if you can find some moron who will let you practice on their car. he he
Old 10-11-2000, 11:53 PM

Yeah all of the paint I'm using is metallic. I've painted some spoilers and others parts of my car already and it has tiurned out good. I'm real good with tools even if their new to me. I'm sure that I can paint my car well enough. I've seen some cars that some people have painted that have no idea what they are doing and it turned out alright. I have a friend who painta that will help me out. If anything goes wrong I'll let you know.

Old 10-12-2000, 11:14 PM

To anyone who's color matched the trim with the sand/beige body

how did it turn out?