3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rims rims rims :D

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 12:03 AM

rims rims rims :D

hey, just looking at some rims, and I found some that are pretty cool. Was wondering what the stock weight of a 92se rim is? I'm looking at these here, and i like them a lot. I'm looking at the 17" rims, at 15 pounds. I'm kinda **** about adding extra weight at the wheels. I've heard so many times that people get new rims and notice their car feeling a little sluggish. I don't want that, infact I was hoping i might feel a little bit of lightness because I payed the extra cash for good rims. any suggestions on rims or comments on the ones that i like woulda be appreciated

Also, been wondering about how much weight the tire add? I know there is going to be more tire on a 15" rim vs a 17" rim, so whats the difference? I noticed on 15" rim that I was looking at was 10lbs instead of 15lb, but then you have to figure the extra bit of tire.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:33 AM

Not bad. Hope u calipers wont be ashamed...

Sluggishness is one result if your ratio is changed; if wheel dia becomes bigger.

Wheel weight affects handling = spinning 'gyroscope' forces: the heavier (and/or more rpm), the harder to change rolling wheel's direction.

The thinner the rubber (read: less suspension), the harder they are to handle, noisier. The wider, better dry traction, worse commuting on worn grooved higway. GeneRally: Better racing, terrible commuting...
Old 02-15-2005, 02:46 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

You should come in at or under stock weight. I cant remember exactly and it will vary from different tire companies and sizes but I want to say the stock weight is around 40lbs give or take a few pounds here and there.

Now those wheels weight 15lbs and a 225/45/17 (largest you can run with that offset) in say a Kumho 712 is 24lbs (from their site) so that puts you at 39lbs for the aftermarket 17s.

I just got 20lb 18s and noticed very little (if any...it may all be mental) loss of take off performance and my tires (225/40/18s Kumho 711) weight 25lbs (total of 45).
Old 02-15-2005, 06:55 AM
Way out West

Those trak-lites are lighter than most aftermarket 17s. Notice the cost? Pretty high for a plain gunmetal rim. That's because they are so light. Most 17s will come in around 20 lbs.

Only SSRs or something like mine (Centerlines) will come in lighter than that. I think Mizeree's SSRs are around 13 lbs, and mine are 13.5 lbs.

I weighed one wheel and tire (the ones in my sig) and one stock wheel and tire (sawblade with 205/65/15) and the stock one was almost 5 lbs heavier.
Old 02-15-2005, 06:59 AM
Getting back to his roots

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
Only SSRs or something like mine (Centerlines) will come in lighter than that. I think Mizeree's SSRs are around 13 lbs, and mine are 13.5 lbs.

Haha, I wish!! My SSRs are 19.5lbs, cause they are 18's and they are heavier than SSR Comps. But they are still light enough to not cause a performance decrease.
Old 02-15-2005, 07:10 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Mizeree_X
Haha, I wish!! My SSRs are 19.5lbs, cause they are 18's and they are heavier than SSR Comps. But they are still light enough to not cause a performance decrease.

sweet mine are only .5 lbs heavier (although 7" wheel instead of 8") than yours. I was thinking the integrals weighed less than that even in 18s.

Red92MaxSE---its really not just a select few wheels that are light weight. Mine are (the 17s in my wheel only weigh 14lbs). The key is to get a forged wheel over a cast wheel. The forged wheels are much stronger and can be made lighter but still be strong enough. The cast wheels rely on bulk for strength. That is how I understand it at least.

Forged wheels generally are more expensive though like you said.
Old 02-15-2005, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
hey, just looking at some rims, and I found some that are pretty cool. Was wondering what the stock weight of a 92se rim is? I'm looking at these here, and i like them a lot. I'm looking at the 17" rims, at 15 pounds. I'm kinda **** about adding extra weight at the wheels. I've heard so many times that people get new rims and notice their car feeling a little sluggish. I don't want that, infact I was hoping i might feel a little bit of lightness because I payed the extra cash for good rims. any suggestions on rims or comments on the ones that i like woulda be appreciated

Also, been wondering about how much weight the tire add? I know there is going to be more tire on a 15" rim vs a 17" rim, so whats the difference? I noticed on 15" rim that I was looking at was 10lbs instead of 15lb, but then you have to figure the extra bit of tire.
IIRC the stockers are 19-20lbs for rims only. When I weighed mine with tires, they came to about 38-39lbs. I have 17" rims on mine right now and they weigh about 48lbs (off the top of my head) with 29psi. According to SteVTEC, one pound of wheel unsprung weigh has the same effect as adding 8lbs of curb weight. That doesn't take into account of the extra rotational mass of the +2 size rims/tires either. I can feel a loss of power from the extra weight and also the bigger overall diameter tires (higher final drive), but that feeling is mainly off the line. Once rolling, the car feels the same as before. Plus adding 17" with good tires decreases the steering slopp vs. the 15" stockers that I think its worth it, despite the decrease in acceleration.
Old 02-15-2005, 09:16 AM

thanks for all the advice guys, I think I'm going to shovel out the exrta 30 dollars per rim to get these now. Not only do these look really nice, they are about the right weight for me too. Now if only my car had a working engine

if anyones interested, pictures of my stock maxima

http://www.cardomain.com/id/kiyakerz
Old 02-15-2005, 10:29 AM

if your engine isn't working, I dont think you'll have to worry about wheel weight much since the car won't be going anywhere
Old 02-15-2005, 10:48 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by ScreamingVE
IIRC the stockers are 19-20lbs for rims only. When I weighed mine with tires, they came to about 38-39lbs. I have 17" rims on mine right now and they weigh about 48lbs (off the top of my head) with 29psi. According to SteVTEC, one pound of wheel unsprung weigh has the same effect as adding 8lbs of curb weight. That doesn't take into account of the extra rotational mass of the +2 size rims/tires either. I can feel a loss of power from the extra weight and also the bigger overall diameter tires (higher final drive), but that feeling is mainly off the line. Once rolling, the car feels the same as before. Plus adding 17" with good tires decreases the steering slopp vs. the 15" stockers that I think its worth it, despite the decrease in acceleration.

why do you have bigger overall tires? You are supposed to get the right size tire for the plus size wheels so they are the same height. I have 18s but my tires are about the same size as the factory tires (just a tad smaller I believe).

for 17s the closest is 235/45/17s I believe. 225s are close but a tad smaller obviously.
Old 02-15-2005, 12:31 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by awsm66
sweet mine are only .5 lbs heavier (although 7" wheel instead of 8") than yours. I was thinking the integrals weighed less than that even in 18s.

Red92MaxSE---its really not just a select few wheels that are light weight. Mine are (the 17s in my wheel only weigh 14lbs). The key is to get a forged wheel over a cast wheel. The forged wheels are much stronger and can be made lighter but still be strong enough. The cast wheels rely on bulk for strength. That is how I understand it at least.

Forged wheels generally are more expensive though like you said.
Yeah, my rims are forged, that's why they are so light. I thought Mizeree had SSR comps (my bad). I was just going off of www.wheelweights.net

I remembered that the 17x7 SSR comps were 13 lbs and mine are 13.5 lbs.

The tire store I usually go to (Les Schwab) stopped carrying the Centerlines and started with the Motegi Trak Lites because they are a little less expensive. The manager told me he couldn't sell expensive light weight wheels to the local ricers, they wanted more "bling"
Old 02-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I think cars like hondas with torqueless 4 cyl. engines suffer a lot more from heavier wheels. I used to have a pos ford probe. When I put some heavy 17's on it, I noticed I HUGE difference in power. Now I have some 15 lb 17x7.5's on my max. I thought I might notice a little gain in power since they're lighter than the stockers but, I didn't really notice much difference at all. Maybe it's just me.
Old 02-15-2005, 01:31 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by 505max94se
I think cars like hondas with torqueless 4 cyl. engines suffer a lot more from heavier wheels. I used to have a pos ford probe. When I put some heavy 17's on it, I noticed I HUGE difference in power. Now I have some 15 lb 17x7.5's on my max. I thought I might notice a little gain in power since they're lighter than the stockers but, I didn't really notice much difference at all. Maybe it's just me.
I think the thing is, the stock rims are 15s and not that heavy in the first place.

I REALLY noticed a difference between my steel wheels with studded snow tires and the Centerlines. I didn't weigh the snow tires, but they are much heavier than even my stock rims and tires.

If you had stock sawblades with standard size tires, it's only about 3-4 lbs difference per wheel/tire compared to your 17s. With the Probe you had, stock was probably 14" and bumping up to heavy 17s likely added up to 10 lbs per wheel.

With lightweight rims, I think you don't notice too much difference on the butt dyno, but it probably shaves a tenth or two in the quarter mile.
Old 02-15-2005, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by awsm66
why do you have bigger overall tires? You are supposed to get the right size tire for the plus size wheels so they are the same height. I have 18s but my tires are about the same size as the factory tires (just a tad smaller I believe).

for 17s the closest is 235/45/17s I believe. 225s are close but a tad smaller obviously.
The tires that came with my 2k2 SE rims are still the OEM tires which are 225/50R17's. I'm just going to live with the fact that I have bigger tires overall until they are fully worn and replace them with either 215/50R17's or 225/45R17's.
Old 02-15-2005, 03:26 PM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by ScreamingVE
The tires that came with my 2k2 SE rims are still the OEM tires which are 225/50R17's. I'm just going to live with the fact that I have bigger tires overall until they are fully worn and replace them with either 215/50R17's or 225/45R17's.

Oh ok that makes sense. I just thought maybe you didnt understand the whole plus size wheel smaller tire thing...you would be suprised how many people dont realize that just because you go up to a 17 or 18 doesnt mean your speedo will be off...it just means you have to get the correct size tire.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
I think the thing is, the stock rims are 15s and not that heavy in the first place.

I REALLY noticed a difference between my steel wheels with studded snow tires and the Centerlines. I didn't weigh the snow tires, but they are much heavier than even my stock rims and tires.

If you had stock sawblades with standard size tires, it's only about 3-4 lbs difference per wheel/tire compared to your 17s. With the Probe you had, stock was probably 14" and bumping up to heavy 17s likely added up to 10 lbs per wheel.

With lightweight rims, I think you don't notice too much difference on the butt dyno, but it probably shaves a tenth or two in the quarter mile.
The probe actually had 15's on it.

I was just saying slow cars without much torque are probably affected more than cars with more torque. It's the same thing with having more people in your car. Slower cars seem to be affected more by having extra people in them.