3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

90-95 300zx engine in 92 Max? Possible?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2001, 01:12 AM

Hey everyone. I heard or read somewhere that it was possible to put the 300z engine into the Max. I know it would cost but is it possible? My Max is climbing in miles and I would love to have a sleeper car with Z power! Anybody have know anything about how much it would cost? I know people are going to say just get a Z for the price it would cost to do it but I just LOVE my Max. Absolutely any info will help! Later.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:04 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

Anything is possible......

BUT the 90-95 VGTT engine is VERY, VERY difficult to fit(its practically as big if not bigger than the Max's front end area) without major restructuring and a RWD conversion.....NOT WORTH ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY in my opinion!!!!!! the entire cost would be ridiculous and the driveablitity would most likely suck ***! Basically the process would be more of a pain than an enjoyment! but you can swap a VGT in there from the late 80's 300Z (if you have a VG max, siince its basically a direct fit) for relatively little trouble, but as with all custom work it will run you some cash!

Originally posted by CruzinMax
Hey everyone. I heard or read somewhere that it was possible to put the 300z engine into the Max. I know it would cost but is it possible? My Max is climbing in miles and I would love to have a sleeper car with Z power! Anybody have know anything about how much it would cost? I know people are going to say just get a Z for the price it would cost to do it but I just LOVE my Max. Absolutely any info will help! Later.
Old 05-01-2001, 09:36 AM

Re: Anything is possible......

Originally posted by DA-MAX
BUT the 90-95 VGTT engine is VERY, VERY difficult to fit(its practically as big if not bigger than the Max's front end area) without major restructuring and a RWD conversion.....NOT WORTH ANY AMOUNT OF MONEY in my opinion!!!!!! the entire cost would be ridiculous and the driveablitity would most likely suck ***! Basically the process would be more of a pain than an enjoyment! but you can swap a VGT in there from the late 80's 300Z (if you have a VG max, siince its basically a direct fit) for relatively little trouble, but as with all custom work it will run you some cash!

Ok,um,well then. Just wondering, how much hp/torque does the VGT have stock? Is it more upgradable than the stock Max Se engine? Would the VGT need a RWD conversion? Thanks again. Do know anyone who has it done?
Old 05-01-2001, 11:21 AM
Eat, sleep, and sh*t 2JZ

I'm not the expert but....heres what I know-->

VGT(198- to 1989) has about 200hp stock and will fit right up with the VG FWD trans, so no RWD conversion. of course it is more upgradeable than the Maixma SE's engine(non-rebuilt) for the simple fact that turbo boost pressure(PSI) can be adjusted to make more HP! The VGTT(90-96 300zx) is a RWD car thus the need to convert our FWD Max's to RWD and it is a "forward mouunted" motor, thus the driveshaft faces the rear....plenty VG max's have done the VGT conversion, maybe 2 or three guys I know of on this forum.

Ok,um,well then. Just wondering, how much hp/torque does the VGT have stock? Is it more upgradable than the stock Max Se engine? Would the VGT need a RWD conversion? Thanks again. Do know anyone who has it done?
Old 05-01-2001, 03:06 PM

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ DO A SEARCH THIS HAS BEEN ASKED HUNDREDS OF TIMES BEFORE ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

fRO