3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

9004 Wire harness or wire upgrades? Clock question?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2001, 08:16 PM

Hey guys, for those of you that did the 9004 upgrades, I was wondering what harness did you get? I've seen two types of APC harnesses, one that contains the whole wiring and 9004 socket, and says it takes place of the factory wiring. Does that kit have relays or does it just stick with the stock ones. The other APC kit i saw is just extended larger wires with the 9004 socket on the end. Also i've heard of people making their own, just using larger wiring, 9004 harnesses, and i think two relays for each light if i'm correct, for low and high beams right? I have higher wattage bulbs and melted one of my harneses, so I just upgraded the ground wire going to the light and that solved my problem temporarily, but I want to do it right. Also for those of you that upgraded the wires/harness, is there a noticable difference in the brightness of the bulbs? One last questions is about my factory clock. It doesn't light up, but If I smack my dash really hard it will come on, but then it fades away a little while later. Anyone know of a quick fix, or do I have to take off the whole dash to get back there, does the thing just pop out? Thanks for any help guys.
Old 05-03-2001, 06:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Chen127
Hey guys, for those of you that did the 9004 upgrades, I was wondering what harness did you get? I've seen two types of APC harnesses, one that contains the whole wiring and 9004 socket, and says it takes place of the factory wiring. Does that kit have relays or does it just stick with the stock ones. The other APC kit i saw is just extended larger wires with the 9004 socket on the end. Also i've heard of people making their own, just using larger wiring, 9004 harnesses, and i think two relays for each light if i'm correct, for low and high beams right? I have higher wattage bulbs and melted one of my harneses, so I just upgraded the ground wire going to the light and that solved my problem temporarily, but I want to do it right. Also for those of you that upgraded the wires/harness, is there a noticable difference in the brightness of the bulbs? One last questions is about my factory clock. It doesn't light up, but If I smack my dash really hard it will come on, but then it fades away a little while later. Anyone know of a quick fix, or do I have to take off the whole dash to get back there, does the thing just pop out? Thanks for any help guys.
I would say search for these questions because they both are very common, but I'm sure you did that already and I know the search functions has some problems now
anyway, people have made their own by buying larger gauge wire (14 I think) and a better socket (dont know where they got that); APC is the easiest way to go though. I've heard it does make your aftermarket bulbs shine a little better, but not a huge difference

about the clock, you will have ot take out the center dash (around radio), panel behind steering wheel (with cruise control, foglights, dimmer, defrost controls), and gauge surround (which includes the clock
to fix it, most people resolder all the connections and replace the electrolytic caps; if you don't know what I'm talking about, then you're probably better off just hitting the dash occasionally or letting a friend try it
Old 05-03-2001, 08:26 AM

Ok, thanks for the info, where can I find these electolytic caps?
Old 05-03-2001, 09:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Chen127
Ok, thanks for the info, where can I find these electolytic caps?
radio shack or any electronics place
as for the value, you will have to take yours apart to find that because I dont' know if off hand