3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

shaved trunk

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2005 | 06:15 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

shaved trunk

i've been wanting to shave my trunk for a while now. and i'm now ready to do something about it, but i was wondering. can the trunk be shaved and still allow access to the trunk lock? also, does anyone know a place in atlanta, ga that will do an exceptional job and get everything flush. the work doesn't have to be done by a shop, but the workmanship has to be professional quality. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-04-2005 | 06:26 AM

yes it can, but dont you think it would look nicer all smooth? it would be a little more work to keep the hole. just get an alarm that pops your trunk if you dont want to go inside your car to open it, thats what i did. sorry but im not familiar enuf wit atl to referru to a shop. find smeone with nice body work and ask them where they went.
Old 03-04-2005 | 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
yes it can, but dont you think it would look nicer all smooth? it would be a little more work to keep the hole. just get an alarm that pops your trunk if you dont want to go inside your car to open it, thats what i did. sorry but im not familiar enuf wit atl to referru to a shop. find smeone with nice body work and ask them where they went.
i do think it looks way nicer but I'm having problems trying to pop my trunk from the inside right now and i'm trying to figure that out. which led me to thinking, what if i encounter a problem down the road with my trunk popping, then i wouldn't have an alternate way of getting in the trunk.
Old 03-04-2005 | 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do one thing at a time, fix your trunk first, make it work right, then try and make it look better.
Old 03-04-2005 | 06:38 AM

Tru, This is exactly why i havn't shaved my door handles yet. But the trunk should be easy to figure out. check the connector maybe it got loose or maybe you need another switch alltogether. since it is electical there may be a fuse to it. im not sure about that one tho.
Old 03-04-2005 | 06:49 AM

yea, you guys are right. it's just theres a lot i want to do to this car and it sucks when these little problems come up and prevent me from moving forward with my plans. I think this trunk problem should be fairly easy to troubleshoot though because i can hear the trunk trying to pop but it's just not releasing. i figure when i get off work i can climb in the trunk and have someone hit the release button while i watch what is going on from the inside.
Old 03-04-2005 | 06:55 AM

when u use your key do you have to keep it turned in order to lift the trunk or do u turn it once then it releases?
Old 03-04-2005 | 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by pfifty
yea, you guys are right. it's just theres a lot i want to do to this car and it sucks when these little problems come up and prevent me from moving forward with my plans. I think this trunk problem should be fairly easy to troubleshoot though because i can hear the trunk trying to pop but it's just not releasing. i figure when i get off work i can climb in the trunk and have someone hit the release button while i watch what is going on from the inside.

Yeah we all know how you feel, or at least i definitely do
Old 03-04-2005 | 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
when u use your key do you have to keep it turned in order to lift the trunk or do u turn it once then it releases?
when i turn the key it releases without me having to hold it, but when i try to pop it i can tell that the release has moved a little bit cause if i use the key after i've tried to pop it i can feel a little play in the lock as if it were half way open. the car has been recently repaired from an accident but there is no damage to the lock as far as i can tell. i'm thinking either the release lever attached to the deck lid may be slightly out of alignment or the lever attached to the trunk might be the culprit but i won't be able to tell until i get in the trunk with the lid closed to watch how the two pieces work together.
Old 03-04-2005 | 07:25 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

run a wire that is connected to the trunk mech (where the lock hits it) and then to a hidden place inside the cab (tucked under the seat or something). Then just pull it if something happens to your trunk pop.
Old 03-04-2005 | 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
run a wire that is connected to the trunk mech (where the lock hits it) and then to a hidden place inside the cab (tucked under the seat or something). Then just pull it if something happens to your trunk pop.
cool, great idea, i love this place. now i don't have to worry about a keyhole when i get my trunk shaved. Thanks
Old 03-04-2005 | 07:36 AM
mod or sell?

try a "unversal" hood release cable
Old 03-04-2005 | 07:40 AM

could just be the valet lockout lever (or whatever you call it) is in the wrong position
if you open the trunk, look just under the bottom part of the latch (on the car, not the trunk lid), there is a cutout in the trim where you see a small metal lever that can be pushed up or down. I forget which way is which, but try moving that up or down and test your button again.
Old 03-04-2005 | 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by «§»Craig B«§»
could just be the valet lockout lever (or whatever you call it) is in the wrong position
if you open the trunk, look just under the bottom part of the latch (on the car, not the trunk lid), there is a cutout in the trim where you see a small metal lever that can be pushed up or down. I forget which way is which, but try moving that up or down and test your button again.
my moneys on that, craigz knowz allz
Old 06-15-2005 | 06:01 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

You guys are AWESOME! I just spent $525 in the last 2 days on my '96 Maxima GLE (brakes, oil change, filters, tighten belts, new axle boots & new tires). I go out there today and my trunk won't release, no matter what I do, except with the key. I'm going on vacation in 3 days, now what a pain that would be not to be able to release my trunk with the button or the remote! Then I found this post and in a matter of 2 minutes I've gone out and fixed it! I would have been so emabarrassed to take it to my mechanic for that! THANKS for being so smart......YOU"RE GREAT!!
Old 06-15-2005 | 06:04 PM
mod or sell?

lol, you've got a 4th gen (95-99) by the way.
this "section" is for 3 rd gens (89-94)
glad we were able to help though
Old 06-15-2005 | 06:04 PM

i tried it in my 1991 SE, and it will not work, no matter what i do. tomorrow i will take pics of it, maybe a movie, could someone host the movie if i made one???
Old 06-15-2005 | 06:14 PM

omg thnks alot craig, i just finished reading your post went down stair and fixed my trunk in about 30 seconds, that thing has been bugging me for ages, thanks alot
Old 06-15-2005 | 07:38 PM

to add to craigh's suggestion, the lever on my trunk had been worn from usage by the previous owner, so if I put it in the correct position, sooner or later, it will revert back to its original position (which is only open the trunk by key), just something for you guys to look out for when shaving your trunk.
Old 06-15-2005 | 09:47 PM

I shave.
I'm in Atlanta.
And I could use some dough.
Old 06-16-2005 | 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by pfifty
...an alternate way of getting in the trunk.
Emergency: take rear seat off, theres no real steel wall.