3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

intermitant dying.. any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 08:13 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

intermitant dying.. any ideas?

Hello everyone

I am new to maxima's but not to cars, I have read through many threads looking for a fix to this issue but can't seem to find the same issue, some slightly similar but not quite the same.

the car is a 92SE w/ 5speed
my VTC's are grounded (i double checked and the ground is good)

the issue is that while driving under different conditions the engine will just stop. If I push in the clutch and crank it, the engine starts and runs like nothing is wrong. This scenario has happened about four times in the past two weeks at take off and while cruising noramlly under different levels of acceleration. I cannot recreate the condition at will or while revving at rest.
I did find that #6 injector was bad I replaced it which gave better performance but did not solve the problem. plugs are new, fuel pressure checks out ok. I have seen people having problems with coil packs I have looked for cracks but I have not multimetered them yet. Besides wouldn't having individual coil packs prevent one bad coil pack from bringing the entire engine to its knees? well I need some help here I cannot seem to figure this out.

Old 03-07-2005, 09:06 PM

Well, it sounds kinda similar to a problem I used to have on my max (although it is a 90 GXE). I came to find out that the cam position sensor was bad. Unfortunately for me having the VG, I had to buy a whole distributor which rang my wallet out dry for a while. But you having a VE might make what I just said totally irrelevant. Just though that i could maybe point you in the right direction, I don't know. Good Luck
Old 03-07-2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by freefall_max
Hello everyone

I am new to maxima's but not to cars,....Besides wouldn't having individual coil packs prevent one bad coil pack from bringing the entire engine to its knees? well I need some help here I cannot seem to figure this out.
One possibility was given already, Cam sensor.

Coilpack or injectors will not get it down as u say. Its any control point that manages all.
- ECU power supply (see my web page for that).
- Any sensor that has been given that ctrl pwr in ECU: only Cam sensor...
- Any wiring, (oxidized) connector or relay affecting these (see my web page for that).

Read my pages to introduce u self to floating computers. Its VGE, but functionally it contains all same parts as VE (not VTC)
Start from: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14

Old 03-08-2005, 01:13 AM

Ignition switch? May be?
Old 03-08-2005, 02:11 AM

Originally Posted by NismoChi
Ignition switch? May be?
...good point (or bad ign contact points)!!!
Old 03-08-2005, 05:42 AM

I have been having exact same simptoms for about a year or so, until I paid attention to the fact, that as soon as it died, the tacho arm would go to 0 in an instant, there would be no power to the ECU and to the fuel pump. I found a relay (ECCS relay, green one in the fusebox by the driver headlight) on the electric diagram that provided power to all of them and replaced it. That has fixed the problem entirely. But mine is VG and I am not sure that applies to your car. Gurus to correct me.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:20 AM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
I have been having exact same simptoms for about a year or so, until I paid attention to the fact, that as soon as it died, the tacho arm would go to 0 in an instant, there would be no power to the ECU and to the fuel pump. I found a relay (ECCS relay, green one in the fusebox by the driver headlight) on the electric diagram that provided power to all of them and replaced it. That has fixed the problem entirely. But mine is VG and I am not sure that applies to your car. Gurus to correct me.
Thats it. Either that relay or oxidized contacts. Belongs into this category: "ECU power supply (see my web page for that)."

This is why I always recommend PREVENTIVE harness maintenance.
Click on: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
Old 03-08-2005, 06:37 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tarzan and Wiking have you on the right track. My 92 SE was doing the same thing and Tarzan was one who helped me. Mine turned out to be the IGN COIL relay, also green and on the side of the engine compartment. The insides of the coil were actually loose and rattling.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:57 AM

It's a shame that Nissan has not introduced a recall on that green relay. I can live with rattling DRL light control units or headlight relays (more irritating), but our safety depends on the green relay - it dies on a HW and you are left with no brakes, no power steering and no idea if it is about to restart in a second or died for a a few minuts or half an hour. I had my scary moments and no one including the dealer could (or wished) to fix it.

Is there enough members here who experienced this problem to create pressure on Nissan to initiate a recall? I think it does not hurt to try and create publicity about the issue.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:48 AM
mod or sell?

as far as NHTSA is concerned a dead motor will not kill you. therefore no recall is neccessary
Old 03-08-2005, 09:50 AM

Ha-ha! Dead motor will not, what about dead power steering and breaks at 100 kms/h on a busy HW? Like you are approaching a bunch of morons who slowed down to stare at a cop on the roadside and oops, it dies on you. No chance to steer away and you have to put both feet on the brake pedal just to make it slow down. Keep in mind - not all recalls are for safety purpose.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Tarzan
Ha-ha! Dead motor will not, what about dead power steering and breaks at 100 kms/h on a busy HW? Like you are approaching a bunch of morons who slowed down to stare at a cop on the roadside and oops, it dies on you. No chance to steer away and you have to put both feet on the brake pedal just to make it slow down. Keep in mind - not all recalls are for safety purpose.

Your on right track. This story is scary! Maybe I put next another relay parallel just to make sure the engine wont die for one relay...
Old 03-08-2005, 02:01 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well guys thank you for the help very much, I cleaned the contacts and replaced the ecm relay and the ignition coil relay today, so far so good. And as far as the dead engine not being deadly, I agree with the rest of you because mine died while turning left at an intersection with traffic coming and not really looking...... eeek!

well thanks again.