3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

From bad to worse

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2005, 11:37 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

From bad to worse

This could get long, but I'll try and make it point form. (btw...this is a 91SE VG30E)

- car had a little shimmering/pulsating of headlights
- added a ground wire kit to possibly help it. Didn't help.
- when installing ground wires, some unrelated brittle parts broke. And they were...

1) the housing for a slide-on terminal connector that sits just below distributor cover. The connection there is fine, just the protective housing disintegrated.
2) the short vaccum hose (top left corner of Intake Manifold). I patched the hose until I could replace it the following day, but car was running fine for the most part...

The following day...

- As I pulled up to NAPA to get the short piece of vacuum hose I discovered coolant leaking from the radiator hose. I must have disturbed the old hose when installing the ground wire kit. I replaced the rad hose with a new one.
- As for the short intake manifold hose they didn't have the right size, so I used some 5/16 size fuel line hose, which is too small in diameter to fit over the metal nipple, but I bored out the ends of the hose with a drill bit. It now fit fine, very snug, no leaks there.
- With everything now back in place I turn the car over and it is chugging like choo-choo. Even more so In 'D' - to the point it feels like it will die, but it doesn't.
-I also hear gurgling when I depress the accelerator and realize there must be air in the line from when I changed the rad hose. I thought I bled it - really! (but this really shouldn't effect the chugging and overal shaking of the car).
But what could it be causing this huge shudder I ask? Another vacuum leak I'm not finding? I checked everywhere for one but can't find one.
Is it possible the 5/16 fuel line hose I used for the rear left corner of intake manifold, despite fitting snug and allowing air to pass through - isn't letting enough flow through, or is collapsing once it heats up?
I'm at a loss.
Old 03-19-2005, 11:59 PM

Typically my DIY is half way, when I have repaired what I first broke myself. Feelings up, very happy... next is the problem.

1. Take the screwed end bit of the slide terminal off, clean. That IS oxidized causing sometimes bad grounding, bad idle. It is somewhat difficult, but u can get it off even turning the screw off from 'wrong' side; install the bit on top. Bit needs some reshaping.
Plug: Hopefully get bigger problems?

2. That hose can cause only minor idle fluctuation: verify this by taking hose off, close it with finger, take finger off, listen....

3. Coolant bleeding: drive one hour with bleeder or some hose leaking, or keep engine 2000rpm or over. Read stickies.

4. did u get glycol splash on ign wiring? Thorough wash is needed.

5. Tune up time? Plugs, real wires, cap, sensors test

Check out for those: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/1