3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Cold Air Intake?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2005, 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
It's been done before. Why do it again?
You have measured? Then wassup. Why u insist against measured facts and wanna loop around?

Stock Nissan was/is CAI. Will end being park bench...

Btw. I keep wondering: why you lock some threads up, but will not do anything on some CO hotheads (crack addict him/herself?) flaming persons of drug abuse - thing which really is not this forum is about?
Old 03-24-2005, 05:23 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

I dont know kc...i think that scoop would look funny with the lines fo the car.

The only scoop I think would look good on our cars are the ones the Toyota 4 runners/land cruisers or whatever they are calling their SUV have. Small rounded scoop. Unfortunately those scoops are part of the hood and you would have to buy a whole hood, cut it and weld it on to our hood.

just my .02.
Old 03-24-2005, 05:30 AM

I think that's why I think I'm going to make it myself. Of course, the fun part is going to be the vaccuum controled butterfly . Give it that old school muscle car look.

I looked through a lot of the universal scoops out there, but didn't find anything I liked.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
I think that's why I think I'm going to make it myself. ...
I looked through a lot of the universal scoops out there, but didn't find anything I liked.
Btw. Whaddaya gonna scoop? Looks, mosquiToes, ...?

Anyways I already think yours will look great. (hmm. its drag will add 0.01s)
Old 03-24-2005, 06:14 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Btw. Whaddaya gonna scoop? Looks, mosquiToes, ...?

Anyways I already think yours will look great. (hmm. its drag will add 0.01s)
Now the real question is... how much more HP and torque will it add? Shorter air path, with direct connection to outside air. I'm not thinking it will add much.

As for why... I haven't seen it done yet. One problem I know I'm going to have is alignment of the scoop to the box... as well as sealing. But sealing isn't too hard. I just wish I could add a turbo setup along with it. But the wife would
Old 03-24-2005, 06:31 AM

...Shorter air path, with direct connection to outside air. ...
Shorter air path will give beneFits. Especially if you find out the right form. I think the form is way beyond the theories and calculations. But first I would test extra long, a 4" pipe as long as the vehicle... But who can figure it out...And of course, yours will be real cAI

If I had the bits, I would block the heat inferno directed to lower intake. Plug it off, and route the water out from engine ends. I bet Huge difference on lower rpm because of nonheated air.

Wives have a logic men never follow: maybe she simply wants a non-push car? Buy her honda; at least forum seems to like em, after that, she will let u turbo...
Old 03-24-2005, 06:41 AM
I'm needing a caw

.......search and find the info??

Actually this conversation was done a few years ago. Temp probes and everything. The air inside the engine bay does cool down when moving over 30mph or something. But I still designed/buit my custom cai anyway. I like the long tube design (ie.. long tube headers vs shortie style). And the fact at a light or low speeds, the cai will be taking in a shot of near ambient temp air vs hot engine air. Also during the summer months, I don't notice nearly as much performance variances vs the winter months. Important for me as I'm using the JWT ecu and 91 octane gas.

Dave B who owns a 4-gen, has tried more versions than all of us combined and has extensively 1/4'd his car. The setup he uses is what I use.

Take it for what you will

You have measured? Then wassup. Why u insist against measured facts and wanna loop around?

Stock Nissan was/is CAI. Will end being park bench...

Btw. I keep wondering: why you lock some threads up, but will not do anything on some CO hotheads (crack addict him/herself?) flaming persons of drug abuse - thing which really is not this forum is about?
Old 03-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I think the best way would be to add a cone filter to the MAF and leave the old tubing that ran from the stock airbox to the left headlight wich will blow cooler air directly onto the cone filter while the car is running about 30mph or whatever speed.
i've seen a site that explained this but forgot where.
my 2 cents.
Old 03-24-2005, 10:27 PM

Shorter air path will give beneFits. Especially if you find out the right form. I think the form is way beyond the theories and calculations. But first I would test extra long, a 4" pipe as long as the vehicle... But who can figure it out...And of course, yours will be real cAI
Well I just have to see what turns up. I'm going to go down and dyno the car before and after I put on the intake I got from Mr. Gone. Then I'll do the same thing again when I build the air box and scoop.

Wives have a logic men never follow: maybe she simply wants a non-push car?
She has already made that known. She has already said she hates the clutch.

Buy her honda; at least forum seems to like em, after that, she will let u turbo...
She would shoot me if I suggested we get a Honda... I think I'd shoot myself for suggesting it. Honda's are not very liked in my family. She already said she wants a old muscle car... she's not sure which one yet... go fig.

I was thinking of a Nomad... I'd love to work on one of those. But it's the car she wants... and as the old saying goes... "If momma isn't happy, then NO ONE is happy!"
Old 03-24-2005, 11:10 PM

....and dyno the car before and after...
Dyno horses are lame. Buy the 150$ 'onboard dyno', and then the results are what you get on the street.

.......search and find the info??
lol. No need to search smtg what I found out.
Old 03-24-2005, 11:36 PM

Dyno horses are lame. Buy the 150$ 'onboard dyno', and then the results are what you get on the street.
But there's too many variables... like what street I'm on... temp of the day, wind speed and direction. If I dyno it in the shop, I have close to the same conditions everytime.
Old 03-25-2005, 12:02 AM

But there's too many variables... ...
That is true. Tests have to be done on similar conditions, maybe same day. But the other end of this issues is that dyno simplifies too much: no air movement AND...plus chassis geometry plus whatever?

On THIS intake air temp issue this is crucial: results are biased (for air intake location).

Remember that the engine generates up 70kW heat energy. If car is stationary, that heat is mainly 'trapped' under hood. (Its NOT little, 15 houses get by through winter.) Of course CAI gets good results on dyno. If car is on the street, moving, CAI is maybe -10% worse through whole performance area. Now what do you need? 'Vinyl horse performance poof -slip...'

I am NOT saying that dyno is no good. I am saying that check out its limits, test all, keep that what is good: "Prove all things; hold fast that which is good." ...like the bible, says, the only real scientific method to test things... Then compare with the onboard tester...

Btw. I am asking advice: what is best such onboard accel/pwr test device and price? Where to buy?
Old 03-25-2005, 12:30 AM

Well I'm using the dyno to check numbers... I'll let my back tell me how much of a difference there is on the road. I'm plastered to it as it is when I punch it.

Also I was trying to get the car timed at Pierre during the SD Maxima Meet. But it looks like the track isn't going to be open. So I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and take it to the 1/8 mile track at Sturgis. It might give me a good idea between before and after. But as usual, I'd have to do close to the same conditions... very hard to do.

As for the best on board device... Like I said, there's too many variables that come up. And this has been noted by some in the Audio/Electronics section. Might want to ask the question there. I deal manly in Stereo equipment... I have no idea about any of the other gadgets out there.
Old 03-25-2005, 01:18 AM

Well I'm using the dyno to check numbers...
Yea, dyno is at its best in change-comparison as input air temp stays constant. Let us hear, interesting! I bet u are buzzy... one cannot sleep when such project is ON. Btw. Thanks for the tip.
Old 03-25-2005, 04:53 AM

No problem.

The actual project hoodscoop project will not start until after the SD Maxima Meet. I'm currently stuck on the other side of the world from my car right now. But I'm busy none the less. I'm sketching out how I want it to look. I might go with something a little shallower. Give it a low clean cut look.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

where can you get the best cold air intake for 93 dohc for cheap but polished?
Old 03-25-2005, 11:11 AM
I'm needing a caw

smtg???????????? oh something. Then why did you ask?

lol. No need to search smtg what I found out.
Old 03-25-2005, 11:25 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by Dark Maxima 57
where can you get the best cold air intake for 93 dohc for cheap but polished?

I got mine off of ebay when they first started showing up. I just checked my paypal and I paid $62 shipped for it. I thought I had paid around $40 shipped but I couldnt remember so I just checked and I was wrong.

I got it from a seller named liveonspeed. I am not sure if he still carries them or not though.