3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

timing belt

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2005, 09:11 PM

timing belt

this is just a general question. But, can any other components be damaged when your driving and your timing belt snaps. This isn't pertaining to a maxima really. I have a friend who drives a 2000 vw bug, and while she was driving, the car started slowing down and wouldn't go over 40mph, then the car wouldn't drive any further and she coasted to the side. The dealership is telling her that the timing belt when it snapped damaged some other components in the process, and that the timing belt was covered under warranty, but the other parts wern't. They estimated the cost around a couple hundred dollars. it sounds fishy to me.

what do ya think?
Old 04-04-2005, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by michaels'max
this is just a general question. But, can any other components be damaged when your driving and your timing belt snaps. This isn't pertaining to a maxima really. I have a friend who drives a 2000 vw bug, and while she was driving, the car started slowing down and wouldn't go over 40mph, then the car wouldn't drive any further and she coasted to the side. The dealership is telling her that the timing belt when it snapped damaged some other components in the process, and that the timing belt was covered under warranty, but the other parts wern't. They estimated the cost around a couple hundred dollars. it sounds fishy to me.

what do ya think?
Well its obviously gonna be some bad valves, and depending on how she was RPM wise when it happened, then it could be a new piston or two.

Do you know exactly what "other componenets" were harmed in the process, cause maybe the water pump, I guess, if the belt got caught in it and wedged in there.
Old 04-04-2005, 09:51 PM

no she didn't mention any specific components. And I'm sure It depends greatly on how they position things in the manufacturing of the vehicle, as far as what could be harmed, but I was just looking for general info. The only damage I can think of that could be caused by the timing belt, would be like if it got wedged between something, and well...... I really have no idea. It just seems suspicious and I know I'm not really giving much info here to work off of.

thanks anyway.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:14 PM
No turbo, no care!

no she didn't mention any specific components. And I'm sure It depends greatly on how they position things in the manufacturing of the vehicle, as far as what could be harmed, but I was just looking for general info. The only damage I can think of that could be caused by the timing belt, would be like if it got wedged between something, and well...... I really have no idea. It just seems suspicious and I know I'm not really giving much info here to work off of.

thanks anyway.
Well many other will back me up here, but if she snapped the timing belt, she is lucky to only have a couple of hundred dollars worth of damage.
Valves (located at the top of the engine, or "head") go down as the pistons go down in each chamber (to allow air in and exhaust out). If the piston is at the top of its stroke, and valves are down, they will collide (bending the valves at minimum and possibly damaging the pistons/crank). The only thing that keeps all these parts in harmony is the timing belt, and when it breaks it can cause the above mentioned disaster. A broken timing belt has been known to destroy the entire engine. IMO she is lucky.
Old 04-04-2005, 11:33 PM

...what do ya think?
...be happy paying: she got 85% reduction compared to max. Costs depend on engine type.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:18 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

SOME cars have interference motors and some don’t. Toyota for example makes a lot of non interference motors (meaning if the belt breaks nothing else is damaged). The VG30 is an interference motor though and you will bend valves if you snap a belt. Unless it’s the VG they designed for ford to go in their van...its non interference because Ford had Nissan make changes to the design.

I have no idea about VWs though.

IMO if one campany can make non interference motors they all can and should. It's not the engineers fault someone doesnt change the belt like they should but sometimes parts fail before their time and there should be a safety feature to prevent damage.
Old 04-05-2005, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
...IMO if one campany can make non interference motors they all can and should. It's not the engineers fault someone doesnt change the belt like they should but sometimes parts fail before their time and there should be a safety feature to prevent damage.
Truly so. Its question of space. That means compression compromission... =ford VG is lame.
This broken belt cost is maybe why chains (and their problems) came again; not a very good sales ad when friends engine blow...
Old 04-05-2005, 07:49 AM
mod or sell?

it's funny that they'll warranty the belt but not the rest of the damage.
they should cover all or none assuming that all warranty conditions have been met.
it does sound fishy to me, if it's still under factory warranty call VW. otherwise call a lawyer
Old 04-05-2005, 02:18 PM

I agree internetautomar. That's what she was mentioning also, that the dealership should cover all damage if caused by the timing belt, and according to her the timing belt is under warranty.