3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

REBUILT Trans Problems

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2005, 05:28 PM
No turbo, no care!

REBUILT Trans Problems

Let me start off by mentioning that I had this trans rebuilt by a friend of mine who has done a bunch of eclipse transmissions, but never a nissan transmission. I installed the trans myself, and filled it up with Redline MT-90 fluid (GL-4). At first, 1st and reverse were the only gears that I could put it into, but once I backed up I could shift smoothly into all gears. I took it for a spin around the block and drove through all the gears without any troubles. Then, I put into neutral and while I'm letting the clutch out the car moves forward. Turns out "neutral" is now 1st and I cant get it into ANY other gears now. There is no gear grinding, and the clutch works just fine (I can drive around in 1st all I want) I know it sounds like a shifter linkage problem, but I lifted it up and it looks ok.
So my question to you guys (mostly to those of you who have rebuilt trans in the past) have you had this problem before or does this sound like something obvious? BTW, this IS a VE LSD trans in a VG car.... but dont get caught up on that...its a fairly straght forward swap.

EDIT: The VE trans was in good working condition when rebuilt, except the commonly broken input shaft bearing (still worked ok but made a whirrrrr noise). All bearings and syncros were replaced while the trans was apart. Everything else looked great.
Old 04-08-2005, 06:26 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

sounds like a detent ball/spring problem

either way youll have to pull the trans apart and maybe relube all the ***** and shaftes to make sure there not sticking and possibly replace all the springs to you should test the trans before installing it next time
Old 04-08-2005, 06:46 PM
blacks92seAuto

Originally Posted by Maxpwer
Let me start off by mentioning that I had this trans rebuilt by a friend of mine who has done a bunch of eclipse transmissions, but never a nissan transmission. I installed the trans myself, and filled it up with Redline MT-90 fluid (GL-4). At first, 1st and reverse were the only gears that I could put it into, but once I backed up I could shift smoothly into all gears. I took it for a spin around the block and drove through all the gears without any troubles. Then, I put into neutral and while I'm letting the clutch out the car moves forward. Turns out "neutral" is now 1st and I cant get it into ANY other gears now. There is no gear grinding, and the clutch works just fine (I can drive around in 1st all I want) I know it sounds like a shifter linkage problem, but I lifted it up and it looks ok.
So my question to you guys (mostly to those of you who have rebuilt trans in the past) have you had this problem before or does this sound like something obvious? BTW, this IS a VE LSD trans in a VG car.... but dont get caught up on that...its a fairly straght forward swap.

EDIT: The VE trans was in good working condition when rebuilt, except the commonly broken input shaft bearing (still worked ok but made a whirrrrr noise). All bearings and syncros were replaced while the trans was apart. Everything else looked great.

You can adjust the shift linakge thing...I know when I was adjusting mine, I was playing with it alot, and if you hooked your tranny back up and maybe something got bumped....it could of offset the shifter position to tranny position...so when you shifter says its in drive or 2 it could be off so much its not putting the tran in any gear....just a thought maybe....and After you drove it, did you check the trans level again?....in an automatic the torque converter takes alot of fluid...and because you could only backup, it sounds like oil wasn't getting all the way around because once you backed up, it got oil circulated through the gears, which allowed you to drive around the block....

Old 04-08-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by blacks92seAuto
You can adjust the shift linakge thing...I know when I was adjusting mine, I was playing with it alot, and if you hooked your tranny back up and maybe something got bumped....it could of offset the shifter position to tranny position...so when you shifter says its in drive or 2 it could be off so much its not putting the tran in any gear....just a thought maybe....and After you drove it, did you check the trans level again?....in an automatic the torque converter takes alot of fluid...and because you could only backup, it sounds like oil wasn't getting all the way around because once you backed up, it got oil circulated through the gears, which allowed you to drive around the block....
he has a 5spd
Old 04-08-2005, 10:01 PM

ok i got a rebuilt auto that only goes in drive not 1st or 2nd or rev... i hear a loud nosie when i put it in drive.... not real loud but loud enough even louder when i press gas..... like there is no fluid in the torque converter.... what should i do... fluid is full says the dip stick??????????
Old 04-09-2005, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by maxedout92max
ok i got a rebuilt auto that only goes in drive not 1st or 2nd or rev... i hear a loud nosie when i put it in drive.... not real loud but loud enough even louder when i press gas..... like there is no fluid in the torque converter.... what should i do... fluid is full says the dip stick??????????
who rebiult the trans

is the touque converter new

did it ever work
Old 04-09-2005, 10:10 AM

Let me start off by mentioning that I had this trans rebuilt by a friend of mine who has done a bunch of eclipse transmissions, but never a nissan transmission. EDIT: The VE trans was in good working condition when rebuilt, except the commonly broken input shaft bearing (still worked ok but made a whirrrrr noise). All bearings and syncros were replaced while the trans was apart. Everything else looked great.
Again, another failed tranny rebuild. I don't know how many times I've read similar stories on the org. I don't understand why some of you insist on rebuilds rather than a used tranny.
Anyway, just curious, how much did you spend on you rebuild? When you're ready to get a used tranny, let me know and i'll give you the number of a place that sold me my used auto. (the have manuals too.)
BTW, me auto runs like a champ!!!!!!
Old 04-09-2005, 10:52 AM
No turbo, no care!

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
Again, another failed tranny rebuild. I don't know how many times I've read similar stories on the org. I don't understand why some of you insist on rebuilds rather than a used tranny.
Anyway, just curious, how much did you spend on you rebuild? When you're ready to get a used tranny, let me know and i'll give you the number of a place that sold me my used auto. (the have manuals too.)
Uh, yeah.... my last rebuild on the 89 (at 120k) last me over 100k before I sold it to a member here on the org who can probably testify that its still rocking fine. I dont know about rebuilding autos.... but the manuals are rock solid. Get yourself a 5-speed.
Old 04-09-2005, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by 5 ltr. beater
its completely different for manuals. 5spds are much much easier to rebiuld then autos thats why you here about so many rebiult autos going bad. a rebiult one would be much better but the key to a good rebiuld is the experience of the person rebiulding it

just for reference the last 2 5spds i put in my car were used and the first one lasted about 4 months (had bad input bearing which missaligned the input shaft and i couldnt shift back into 1st or 2nd) the second has input shaft bearing and sycro problems and will be replaced with a good rebiult one in a few month when i get the money to buy the rebiuld kit

5spds are much much easier to rebiuld then autos thats why you here about so many rebiult autos going bad
Old 04-09-2005, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
5spds are much much easier to rebiuld then autos thats why you here about so many rebiult autos going bad
For maximas maybe, dunno, never tore a max tranny apart, i'm too afraid of buggering up my good auto to play with it ...but I'd rather rebuild a TH350 or 400 than ANY 4 or 5 spd...provided I have a clutch spring compressor and a set of snap ring pliers
Old 04-09-2005, 07:03 PM
No turbo, no care!

update

Well I pulled it apart today with my friend that rebuilt it. It looks like subs1000w is right....the detent (FSM calls them "interlock") ***** seem to be holding the 2nd and 3rd shafts but allows the first to move. Im pulling the spring out and replacing it, hopefully that will solve the problem.....
Old 04-09-2005, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
For maximas maybe, dunno, never tore a max tranny apart, i'm too afraid of buggering up my good auto to play with it ...but I'd rather rebuild a TH350 or 400 than ANY 4 or 5 spd...provided I have a clutch spring compressor and a set of snap ring pliers
you cant compare an auto developed in the early 60's to a computer controled auto devoloped in the late 80's
Old 04-09-2005, 09:50 PM

Well I pulled it apart today with my friend that rebuilt it. It looks like subs1000w is right....the detent (FSM calls them "interlock") ***** seem to be holding the 2nd and 3rd shafts but allows the first to move. Im pulling the spring out and replacing it, hopefully that will solve the problem.....
Does anyone know where to get these "interlock" ***** at? I would guess a ball bearing would work. I'm missing one after pulling my trans apart today, and I cant find it. I suppose it probably fell out and got chewed up in the gears.
Old 04-09-2005, 10:36 PM

Did you just remove the tranny too? Because when i took off the position sensor to drain the fluid, I unbolted the little bolt to hold on the bracket for the wire, and a ball and spring fell out into my drain pan (I think it was the middle one on the inside of the tranny case). Might want to check the old gear oil...
Old 04-09-2005, 11:19 PM
No turbo, no care!

Well despite what we did, it didnt seem to shift properly. While I'm not very experienced with transmissions, I got to know this interlock mechanism very very well. We pulled the case apart, and took all the gears out, concentrating only on the shifting mech. To make a long story short, no matter what we did it wouldnt shift properly. I have a VG trans that shifts perfectly, so my question is can I put the VG shifting mech (ie striking rod, shift rods, forks, etc) into the VE trans?
(While I havent cracked the VG trans, I'm assuming the gears couldnt be swapped into it since the VE has larger bearings and no clearance for the LSD.....right???)
Old 04-10-2005, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Brad92SE
Does anyone know where to get these "interlock" ***** at? I would guess a ball bearing would work. I'm missing one after pulling my trans apart today, and I cant find it. I suppose it probably fell out and got chewed up in the gears.
i would guess you could order them at the dealer or call some trans shopes and see if they have any laying around
Old 04-10-2005, 07:01 PM

Well despite what we did, it didnt seem to shift properly. While I'm not very experienced with transmissions, I got to know this interlock mechanism very very well. We pulled the case apart, and took all the gears out, concentrating only on the shifting mech. To make a long story short, no matter what we did it wouldnt shift properly. I have a VG trans that shifts perfectly, so my question is can I put the VG shifting mech (ie striking rod, shift rods, forks, etc) into the VE trans?
(While I havent cracked the VG trans, I'm assuming the gears couldnt be swapped into it since the VE has larger bearings and no clearance for the LSD.....right???)
ive never tried it but in theory they should be the same
Old 04-11-2005, 07:48 AM

Just FYI: a ball bearing ball cannot get chewed up in the tranny gears. It will block and destroy the teath instead. It is somewhere else, look for it!