3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Eibachs+what strut will give me a better ride?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2001, 08:09 PM

Ok it's a 91' GXE Max. My suspension feels way too mushy, like my car bounces up and down when going over bumps on the highway, it feels unsafe sometimes. I've been reading through the archives about springs and struts and all. Now I've decided that I'm going to go with Eibach springs because they will not require a camber kit etc, is that correct? I know the choices for the struts are between Tokico, KYB, Koni, and stock. Some of you said that there needs to be some modifications to make the Koni's fit and they are mucho$$, i'm not worried if they're alot, just as long as they are worth it, but how much work is involved in installing them? As for the Toks and KYB's, I've heard mixed reactions on both. I think Brubenstein mentioned that the KYB's had the same specs as the stock GXE struts? Is that true? And I could go with stockers, but I was wondering how much they were, because I couldn't find them on Courtesy's site. But I figure they'll be more expensive than aftermarket, so I might as well save some cash and get better stuts anyhow. So here's the bottom line, I want to go with aftermarket struts, which one's do you think will offer the softest, or should i say least bumpy ride, out of those choices? I want to be able to take corners faster, stop faster, etc, but I don't want the harshest ride. I know it'll be alot bumpier, but I'm sure there are differences between struts. Anyone who has experience, please let me know. Thanks again, and sorry for being so long any help is appreciated!
Old 05-08-2001, 08:24 PM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

well stock is just going to be mucho money anyway so stick with performance. i haven't heard much about KYB but if they perform like stock they may tend to wear quickly like stock struts do with lowering springs....that leaves you with koni or tokico....

im happy with my tok's but it's only be 2 months...if i had the money i would have gone koni in a heartbeat...
Old 05-09-2001, 05:41 AM

I've had Tokico's on my car for over 60K miles. Could probably use a new set by now. Very nice ride. I've been completely pleased with them and it's been a lllooonnnggg time.
I've heard many people say that Koni's are harsh, but have no personal experience with them.
Stock struts WILL cost more and won't hold up to lowering springs.
Hey Chris. How was the ride home from the show?
Old 05-09-2001, 05:45 AM

And furthermore...

And no, Eibach's do not require a camber kit. Forgot that part the first time. If you really want to eliminate body roll go with Suspension Techniques anti-sway bar kit. Comes with urethane bushings too. Nice and level in the corners.:smile:
Old 05-09-2001, 07:30 AM
Eagles Fan 4 Lyfe

Originally posted by maxmizd27

Hey Chris. How was the ride home from the show?
ride home was great...played with a few honduhs but nothing exciting...
Old 05-09-2001, 09:46 AM

If you want the car to ride like it came from the factory put in KYB GR-2's or OEM struts. It will still not handle like the car did when new, because most of the rubber bushings in the suspension are shot. If you want a higher spring rate, without changing the ride hight, get a set of SE springs for the front and the SE rear sway bar. SE front springs are 20% stiffer (the rears have the same rate). If you only change the front springs, the car will understeer more; that is why the rear swaybar should also be changed.
Before buying aftermarket springs, I would find out exactly what the spring rates are (this holds for struts too). If the say 25% more, stiffer, better, etc., you have to know what the reference is, because some of the GXE parts are very different than the SE parts. If you notice, no one has different struts listed for SE and GXE models: one size fits all. The rebound dampening rate of the SE front struts is double that of the GXE. What's a Tokcio replacement strut equal to (SE or GXE)? Don't know. You should ask before buying. Koni's are adjustable so it doesn't matter, and they make real high performance dampers anyway.
If this is giving you a headace, just put any new struts on. The difference will be so great you won't care if they are supposedly high performance or not. (If the car leans too much in turns, replace the front swaybar bushings.)