3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Possibly ridiculous question...

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2005, 05:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by Alex_V
Hadman- Im in the same boat. Im the 3ed owner, my neibhor the first, my mom the 2ed...and me. They babied the car and now its in GREAT shape. Of course untill last month, when i had a 30mph head on collsion. Man there was alot to replace, what did you have to replace? Im going to fix it too. Ive got plans for this car...

~Alex
Off the top of my head, the whole front.
Hood, both front 1/4 panels, bumper and lower lip, headlights/fogs, radiator, fans, struts, springs, and a few other things. Basically everything up to the throttle chamber.
The biggest of which being the frame itself, which was straightened back to spec. Then the paint job, which the insurance company would only paint half of (cheap sob's!). At the time I was cash-strapped, so I didn't paint the other half. I was a bit worried about the possible color mismatch, but they matched it perfectly. All in all, I believe the repair was just under $5,000. Keep in mind the value of the car was roughly $7k at this point, so it still paid them to fork out for the rebuild.
Old 04-17-2005, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Golden Ice
No house payments here..*ever*...if I can't drop the cash or write the check, its not gonna happen...the ONLY reason I'd even get a credit card is because of the number of online stores that only take credit cards..
Have fun trying to build credit then.

I think 3G Maximas are still somewhat fresh enough to put some money into. Most 3Gs for sale have around 120-150k miles average from what I've seen, and they have at least that much more in them if they haven't been abused.

If you really love your car, and have extra time and cash to do this and nothing better or more practical to spend it on, I say go for it. If you have practicality concerns though, I'd say find a newer Max. All generation Maxes share common traits, so you might find what you love in a newer one.
Old 04-17-2005, 07:21 PM

i'd never buy a newer max, they're all ugly...before and after the 3rd gen...although the 2nd and 1st gens are better looking than 4th, 5th, and 6th gen..especially 6th gen..yuck..

why would I need credit if i'm never going to get a loan? If i got a CC that didn't have a high enough limit to buy any 1 thing I want from the online stores I shop at, I'd consider going to the trouble to raise it, but thats the extent of the "debt" I'll ever let myself get into.
Old 04-17-2005, 08:02 PM

well, my max is on its last mile i think!!! all seals and hoses seem to be going bad amongst other things!! as of right now, i'm in a dilemna because i leave for iraq in sept! i really want to get my car back home to GA (i'm in NY) before i leave, but the car seems to be in such bad shape and have so many problems that i dont know what to do. i want to get a new car (monte carlo), but i dont want to get rid of the max!! i know if i do get a new car, the Max would be put on the back burner since most of my money would be going to car payments and insurance. Now i'm at the point of asking myself, "Do i want to spend a couple of g's getting the max back on its feet and running properly again, or do i want to take that money i would spend on the max and invest it on a down payment for a new car!!" My max is really becoming a big hassle...i cant even drive it over 10 miles before it starts acting ballistic, but i've done so much in that car and its taken me so many places that i really dont want to get rid of it!!! Don't know what to do!!!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I with you LMaRiE....
I would definantly dump money into a car you like {or love} as to go get into a $500 a month car payment. IMO 3rd gen maximas are worth putting money into.
Not to mention that in CT its a law to have FULL COVERAGE insurance on any car you finance...so I'll be lookin at like $1000.00/mth just to have a new car. LOL....no thanks!
Old 04-18-2005, 06:51 AM

Originally Posted by LMaRiE91MaXiMa
Not to mention that in CT its a law to have FULL COVERAGE insurance on any car you finance...so I'll be lookin at like $1000.00/mth just to have a new car. LOL....no thanks!
99% of all loan companies will REQUIRE you to have Full coverage... if not it's a breach of contract and they'll REPO your car. Also, they since they have your VIN number, they're able to instantly make contact with the right insurance company to make sure it does have full coverage. real kicker aint it.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:52 AM

Originally Posted by hadman
LMarie, you should see page 1 of my CarDomain page.
I won't get in to too much detail here, but I've had my VG for 9 years now. In its 5th year it took the brunt of a 45mph hit head-on. And I said damn - if it's safe to do so we must rebuild it captain. This tank stepped up to the plate when it mattered, so I had to return the favor.
I am the 2nd owner and I intend to be its last. I have absolutely no reason to dump it in favor of a new car. I know all of its quirks (well almost), and even if I put a few grand into it for a proper paint job, some nicer rims, etc... I know I'll still be saving money 3 years from now.
New tranny and motor? Well I did the tranny 7 years ago and it's still strong as a ****. I'm more concerned about the miles of electrical wiring that is nearly impossible to get at and may be poking through its protective shielding soon.
But having owned the car this long, I'm definitely sentimental about it and want to continue to maintain it with pride. Of course, to a reasonable point $$ wise.
$10k... I'm not so sure. But a few grand - sure.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/745162
Yea I doubt I'd spend $10,000 on my Max too...I was just sayin if I could fix it up "like new" for under $10,000 then it would be AWESOME! cause...well, it would!
$10,000 would get you the ****tiest new car on the market these days...like a KIA or something (ogod...dont get me started on those ugly things)

Seriously tho...does anyone know a GOOD, TRUSTWORTHY body repair shop...or better yet, can anyone here do some minor body work...like pull out a dent or 2?!?

I wish I could show u guys pics of the damage I'm talking about but I dont know how to post them on this site...Thats the only thing in need of repair right this minute.
Old 04-18-2005, 06:59 AM

go here for a little goofy how to post pics and a signature

http://maxima.gregg-henry.com/obeewon/
Old 04-18-2005, 07:06 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
go here for a little goofy how to post pics and a signature

http://maxima.gregg-henry.com/obeewon/
lol thanks but I just went to the test forum and figured it out myself...thanks anyway!
Old 04-18-2005, 07:08 AM

damage

Here's a pic of the damage....the dent to the lower left of the light (the lower rear left quarter panel) is what I want pulled out, also a nice coat of black wax outta buff out the scrape mark
Also, I know this is not the classifieds but figured I'd throw it in here since I have all of your attention - Does anyone know where to get the left tail light assembly for the 91 SE or how much I should be looking at to spend on it? Has anyone replaced the light before? If so, is it easy/hard to do?

Thanks guys
Old 04-18-2005, 07:18 AM

Pics

Now that I know how to post pics...here are some of my Maxine!

Old 04-18-2005, 07:20 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Here's a pic of the damage....the dent to the lower left of the light (the lower rear left quarter panel) is what I want pulled out, also a nice coat of black wax outta buff out the scrape mark
Also, I know this is not the classifieds but figured I'd throw it in here since I have all of your attention - Does anyone know where to get the left tail light assembly for the 91 SE or how much I should be looking at to spend on it? Has anyone replaced the light before? If so, is it easy/hard to do?

Thanks guys
tail light www.car-part.com

replacement is pretty much 3 10mm screws and a bit of pushing/pulling.

also that repair looks to be about 400 or so for a "good" job..(not counting cost of light).

most likely they will hammer it out as best they can then a skim of bondo. edges feathered and blend to match. if they feel generous they might cc the qtr considering the rest of the car's paint is in good shape.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:24 AM

See now why I love her so?? LOL just kidding...my car is a p.o.s. compared to the majority of your guys Maximas.
But, she isnt falling apart...she's in pretty good condition (minus the fender bender i got into) and I absolutely LOVE this Maxima...so thats the reason why its worth it to me to fix her up, should the day come when she needs it. Hence why I started this post...now if I can only get some help on the body..I'll be good.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:27 AM

that's not damage...take the bumper off and push it out, no need to spend money...buy a replacement lense at a junk yard, re-assemble everything and clean your car..fixed...for about $30.

edit: "no need to spend money...buy a replacement lense"
Old 04-18-2005, 07:32 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by Hectic
that's not damage...take the bumper off and push it out, no need to spend money...buy a replacement lense at a junk yard, re-assemble everything and clean your car..fixed...for about $30.

edit: "no need to spend money...buy a replacement lense"
i don't think that fix is acceptable in her book..or else she would've just left it the way it is. i think she's looking to have the dent repaired correctly.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
tail light www.car-part.com

replacement is pretty much 3 10mm screws and a bit of pushing/pulling.

also that repair looks to be about 400 or so for a "good" job..(not counting cost of light).

most likely they will hammer it out as best they can then a skim of bondo. edges feathered and blend to match. if they feel generous they might cc the qtr considering the rest of the car's paint is in good shape.
Would you believe me if I told you that when I first got into that accident and I had an appraisal done on the damage the very next day they told me $1600.00?!?! Thats more than half of what I paid for the car 2 years ago! LOL....BUT they went so far as to include a NEW bumper (cause of the scrape and teensy tiny rip on it) plus a new rear quarter panel and tail light assembly, not to mention labor! As you can see...I definitely didnt get it repaired there (or anywhere for that matter) I've really been waiting because that particular accident wasnt my fault and the lady who hit me, her insurance denied my claim...and Ive been waiting to repair it ever since (just to see if anything ever came of that whole fiasco) Alas...its been a year and I dont care about getting the claim anymore...I just want the damage fixed at this point.

I'm not sure that I'd even spend $400.00 - maybe...if the repair would be flawless... Id have to consider that one for a day or 2...I dont think I'd get it painted in that area (unless of course upon banging it out the paint began to chip noticeably) Cause if I ever do repair the body the way I want to...I'd be getting the entire car painted again..
Old 04-18-2005, 07:35 AM

um how was it her fault and she doesnt cough up the money to fix it or her insurance company??? that one baffles me.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:41 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Would you believe me if I told you that when I first got into that accident and I had an appraisal done on the damage the very next day they told me $1600.00?!?! Thats more than half of what I paid for the car 2 years ago! LOL....BUT they went so far as to include a NEW bumper (cause of the scrape and teensy tiny rip on it) plus a new rear quarter panel and tail light assembly, not to mention labor! As you can see...I definitely didnt get it repaired there (or anywhere for that matter) I've really been waiting because that particular accident wasnt my fault and the lady who hit me, her insurance denied my claim...and Ive been waiting to repair it ever since (just to see if anything ever came of that whole fiasco) Alas...its been a year and I dont care about getting the claim anymore...I just want the damage fixed at this point.

I'm not sure that I'd even spend $400.00 - maybe...if the repair would be flawless... Id have to consider that one for a day or 2...I dont think I'd get it painted in that area (unless of course upon banging it out the paint began to chip noticeably) Cause if I ever do repair the body the way I want to...I'd be getting the entire car painted again..
well for $1600 the job would be "perfect"...new bumper new light...that might even mean new qtr since it's $1600.

from the angle of the pic i actually missed the massive dent below the gas tank door.

i would say it's more on the lines of $600-$700..but i'm not taking into consideration for bumper replacement. i'm going to guess that they will patch some duramix on it and sand that smooth like the qtr. there's pretty much no way you're going to "bang" out that dent and have it come out perfect. there will be some bends in the metal...there will be some ripples and etc....hence the bondo. this is not a PDR repair..the dent is a pretty good sized dent. oh and most likely the paint will crack upon hammering. if you're going to fix it..then get it fixed right. otherwise just leave it alone. the more you mess with it worse it's going to look.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:49 AM

i don't think that fix is acceptable in her book..or else she would've just left it the way it is. i think she's looking to have the dent repaired correctly.
Yes and No. I was considering asking Joe to push out that dent cause I got into another accident before this one where my right front wheel well got banged up a bit and he pushed that out but it didnt come out smooth...its kind of bumpy now, looks like its rusting underneath the paint (but its not rust...its just cause he couldnt push it out perfectly) Its not really noticeable because the dent was pretty small to begin with, but if you look closely you can see it looks rough - which I really dont care too much about, but I'm just not sure that I want to do that again with this dent...so yes I did consider pushing it out and buying a new light (I might still do that)
But I too am still considering getting it fixed properly...if the price is right! lol
Old 04-18-2005, 07:50 AM

well for $1600 the job would be "perfect"...new bumper new light...that might even mean new qtr since it's $1600.

from the angle of the pic i actually missed the massive dent below the gas tank door.

i would say it's more on the lines of $600-$700..but i'm not taking into consideration for bumper replacement. i'm going to guess that they will patch some duramix on it and sand that smooth like the qtr. there's pretty much no way you're going to "bang" out that dent and have it come out perfect. there will be some bends in the metal...there will be some ripples and etc....hence the bondo. this is not a PDR repair..the dent is a pretty good sized dent. oh and most likely the paint will crack upon hammering. if you're going to fix it..then get it fixed right. otherwise just leave it alone. the more you mess with it worse it's going to look.
My feelings exactly. and yes they included in that quote a new quarter panel.

P.S. I definitely will not consider getting a new bumper...the bumper is fine except a scrape and 2 tiny rips. I dont know what Duramix is but from the sound of it I think thats the way to go..just patch it up and throw a drop of paint on it to cover the yellow part where its ripped.
Old 04-18-2005, 07:56 AM

um how was it her fault and she doesnt cough up the money to fix it or her insurance company??? that one baffles me.
Because her insurance company is SCREWING me and Geico (my insurance co.) doesnt give a f*ck cause I only have liability so they didnt need to fix it first, so my loss is NOT their loss, therefore NO ONE cares to help me.

The police report clearly states that it was her fault. I was STOPPED at a stop sign and she turned into my car. Her insurace claimed that the police report is just the officer's opinion, however when they sent their appraisor a week later to take pics..they decided that their opinions on the pictures are FACT and that their client was not at fault - LOL Either way Geico denied her claim too so...its a lose/lose situation

Yes, it baffled me too for the past year...and quite frankly I dont give a crap about it anymore...it'll cost me more in lawyer fees to take this to court then what it would to repair the damage myself...so why bother?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:02 AM

ok thats BS. the law stated it was her fault, they didnt give an opinion.......so she is liable to pay or in this case the insurance company. i got hit by a dumb lady crossing 4 lanes of traffic and she bished me out for turning while she was crossing, when i had the right away, the whole thing was taken care of by her insurance company. if she hit you while you were stopped then where is the problem?? threaten the insurance company with legal actions for damages plus some for giving you the run around.

wait how did she turn into your rear qtr panel??? was she drunk?
Old 04-18-2005, 08:04 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Because her insurance company is SCREWING me and Geico (my insurance co.) doesnt give a f*ck cause I only have liability so they didnt need to fix it first, so my loss is NOT their loss, therefore NO ONE cares to help me.

The police report clearly states that it was her fault. I was STOPPED at a stop sign and she turned into my car. Her insurace claimed that the police report is just the officer's opinion, however when they sent their appraisor a week later to take pics..they decided that their opinions on the pictures are FACT and that their client was not at fault - LOL Either way Geico denied her claim too so...its a lose/lose situation

Yes, it baffled me too for the past year...and quite frankly I dont give a crap about it anymore...it'll cost me more in lawyer fees to take this to court then what it would to repair the damage myself...so why bother?
oh man...you should've went crazy after the company. they hit your car...look at where the damage was. you had rear damage and i assume the other car had front damage. how is it NOT the other car's fault? THEY HIT YOU! realistically it's their fault...but since they know you don't have full coverage they are trying to get out of paying for it.
Old 04-18-2005, 08:58 AM

That's not always true... Could have been pulling out of entrance way into traffic, and a car skimmed the bumper.

Damage to rear on one car, and damage to the front end on the other, but in this case it's the car with damage to the reat that was at fault.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
That's not always true... Could have been pulling out of entrance way into traffic, and a car skimmed the bumper.

Damage to rear on one car, and damage to the front end on the other, but in this case it's the car with damage to the reat that was at fault.

Ummm NO. I was not at fault in any way. The lady was even given a ticket or something (there was a statute # next to her name on the report)
I was STOPPED at a stop sign. No motion/movement on my part. How could it have been my fault? The lady was taking a right onto the road I was stopped on (it is a VERY narrow road) and she must have swerved a little as she was passing and hit the back of my car.

So please, KNOW the info BEFORE you speak...

Also...can we please stop stressing this? You guys are getting more worked up then me over it! LOL
I KNOW I was screwed but guess what? It was almost a year ago I already got more than my moneys worth outta this car...even with the damage so I really dont care anymore. yes, I'd care if my car was totaled or was completely smashed in and would really break the bank for me to fix, but it doesnt so I just dont give a crap. Its not worth it to me to take it to court, cause I'll be spending more money in the end. Not to mention that its been almost a year and I think it will be tough to try to take action now. Looks kinda strange ya kno?
I would just like some insight on how to go about repairing it...without paying too much, but still a decent quality of work.

Thanks for all the feedback BTW. I love Maxima.org!!!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:31 AM

well a way to have it repaired without paying too much...........hmmm im thinkin that bishes insurance company......
Old 04-18-2005, 09:31 AM

well a way to have it repaired without paying too much...........hmmm im thinkin that bishes insurance company......
hmm...I will stress it one more time: NOT WORTH IT.

Look at the headache I'm getting from you guys about it....nevermind the courts!
Old 04-18-2005, 09:36 AM

whatever its your money.......i dont give two ***** if you get taken for a ride then.
Old 04-18-2005, 09:39 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

ok let's just all let it go and move on...shall we?
Old 04-18-2005, 10:01 AM
I'm needing a caw

Suprised it went this long.

ok let's just all let it go and move on...shall we?