3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

hail storm.....how do you pop dents on this thing!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 07:15 AM

hail storm.....how do you pop dents on this thing!!!!

Ok, last night we had hail almost the size of baseballs , i have pings....EVERYWHERE, i was hoping to just kinda knock them out but ummm can't do that cause well the trunk and hood have a layer of metal welded to it, so how can i get the dents out??? there is prolly about 30 dings on my hood (they indent about 1/2 a centimeter to a full centimeter) and my trunk has some bad ones also, i didn't see any on the top of the car, however that happened, but either way, is there anyway to get the dammed things out????
Old 04-23-2005, 08:22 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

I've wondered the same thing myself. Paintless dent repair companies make buckets of money keeping these industry secrets from being known to the public. I know 'Dent Wizard' makes you sign a confidentiality form when you are hired. My suggestion is to call up one of these companies and get a quote. Remember, their prices are negotiable just like anyone else if you know how to haggle. As far as doing it yourself, make a writeup if you do find an efficient way.
Old 04-23-2005, 08:26 AM

I'd be more concerned about getting the ones on the roof..my car has been hail damaged since it was new, and if it were anywhere close to a priority, I'd have the ones on the roof pulled and just replace the hood and trunk lid...course, I plan on painting my car somtime in the next year or 2...
Old 04-23-2005, 08:34 AM

so basically i gotta call either a company or body shop.....well not what i was hoping for but oh well gotta do what i gotta do
Old 04-23-2005, 08:35 AM
Back in a 3rd Gen.

Originally Posted by ghostridden
Ok, last night we had hail almost the size of baseballs , i have pings....EVERYWHERE, i was hoping to just kinda knock them out but ummm can't do that cause well the trunk and hood have a layer of metal welded to it, so how can i get the dents out??? there is prolly about 30 dings on my hood (they indent about 1/2 a centimeter to a full centimeter) and my trunk has some bad ones also, i didn't see any on the top of the car, however that happened, but either way, is there anyway to get the dammed things out????

I have heard you can take heat...heat them then use a piece of dry ice and place over the ding for it to pull out. Dan gave me this tip when I had similar damage. I tried it with a heat gun and regular ice and it didnt work. Probably would with dry ice though.

you will probably have to use a good PDR guy.

Maybe try one of those ding king things (pdr guys actually have a tool similar).

I am glad we missed that mess. I had just loaded the wife and kids up last night to go out and it started to hail here...luckily it lasted less than a minute and it was very very small...like green pea small lol...so no damage.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:15 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

[QUOTE=ghostridden]Ok, last night we had hail almost the size of baseballs [QUOTE] Good god!!! I feel your pain man. Last week we had just some pea sized hail that encouraged the crack in me sunroof to grow, but no dents. On your problem, I hear good things about that as seen on t.v. kit.
Old 04-23-2005, 09:43 AM

ya i had thought about the tv thingy, but wouldn't sure

the hail here started off really really small, then it kept getting bigger and more, and bigger and faster till the point the building i was in had hail flying through the roof, at that point i cried for my car, lol, well i know of a really good body shop down the road i can try, only prob is, insurance won't cover it, all i have is liability, oh well, lol just one more thing to fix on it
Old 04-24-2005, 12:08 AM

what is hail?????

j/k..you guys should move to cali
Old 04-24-2005, 08:21 AM

Originally Posted by awsm66
I have heard you can take heat...heat them then use a piece of dry ice and place over the ding for it to pull out. Dan gave me this tip when I had similar damage. I tried it with a heat gun and regular ice and it didnt work. Probably would with dry ice though.

you will probably have to use a good PDR guy.

Maybe try one of those ding king things (pdr guys actually have a tool similar).

I am glad we missed that mess. I had just loaded the wife and kids up last night to go out and it started to hail here...luckily it lasted less than a minute and it was very very small...like green pea small lol...so no damage.

I tried dry ice, but I didnt have any success. We ended up making a bunch of dry ice bombs with the leftovers and getting the cops called.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:28 AM

cali = needs to be separated from the logical world..besides..i'll take hail, tornados, snow, and ice over earthquakes any day..
Old 04-24-2005, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by nelledge
Paintless dent repair companies make buckets of money keeping these industry secrets from being known to the public. I know 'Dent Wizard' makes you sign a confidentiality form when you are hired.
I know how it's done... one of our body shop guys showed me how... but it's a long mind boggling process. I still don't fully understand how it works... but it does. And some of the tools you need are hard to come by. And I don't remember exatcly what some of the stuff was called.

It's been so long, but if I remember right... it requires slightly heating up the area, applying a chemical, and using a rod slowly circling the dent. As you do this the dent shrinks flatening itself out.

Supposedly... (rumor here) You can take ice, when the metal is hot, and it'll cause the metal to shrink, pulling the dent back out. I've tried it myself, and it seemed some of my many of thousand dents, some seemed to end up being smaller, others nothing affected them. As you say, it's how they keep a crap load of money.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:14 AM

DO they have options on insurance for nature occurences like that? If they did i assume it woudl cost more , but if you are in a region where that happens multiple times a year i think i'd be worth thinking about. Sorry to hear that man, in my opinion dimples and dings like that are far more obnoxious and frustrating looking than regular ole dents , really ruins the consistency look of the paint and body.
Old 04-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Plus you can't use the "ding king" on them either.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:02 AM

well what sucks is we were just thinking abuot putting full coverage on my car, oops, too late, well anyways i'm thinking about just replacing the hood and trunk, and try and fix the rest of the dings, i noticed yesterday when i was cleaning the car that there was some even on the sides of the car, damm hail, oh well it just proved to be one hail of a day....lol
Old 04-24-2005, 11:07 AM

just remove yoru hood and trunk, i think that adds about 45 hp at the wheels from what i hear from some fellow civic drivers i shouldn't say fellow, i don't own one thank god
Old 04-24-2005, 11:08 AM

Hey, you should see my Max... OMG. I dare not leave it out in a storm. I bought it with hail damage. My windsheild was f'd up on the passenger's side. And my sunroof still has cracks. Luckily all the cracks are internal, so I don't have to worry about leaking. But I'm not going to chance leaving it outside during a stormy night. I think if anymore hail finds it, it'll finish it off.
Old 04-24-2005, 11:10 AM

oh yes, then maybe i can outrun my neighbors all so grand civic
Old 04-24-2005, 11:20 AM

I can't stand Hondas
Old 04-24-2005, 07:55 PM

we got the same storm here. what I always do if there is even a chance of hail is drive my car to a car wash that has the bays that you can pull in to. then I just sit in my car and watch the storm go by. no ones going to be washing their car in that weather so it really doesnt hurt anything. next time they say that there could be hail just try doing that.
Old 04-24-2005, 08:27 PM

how are your windows and such? i would imagine if the hail is that damn big, it would crack the glass on your car.
Old 04-24-2005, 09:08 PM

some how it didnt' do a bit of damage to any windows

i hate honda's too.....they all think that they're so much better than all cars.....hahaha too bad they never see anything but smoke and my @$$ when we race, lol

well the problem with going to a car wash is that usually if there's hail, then there's tornados, so umm.....dents or.....risking my life to save a few dents.......i think i'll risk my life, haha
Old 04-25-2005, 11:46 AM

weird that we talked about hail because this morning it hailed here in massachusetts but it made no sense cause it was partly sunny and over 40 degrees, must have been very cold in the stratosphere. NOthing big enough to damage cars, but i was tryign to jump one for work at the time
Old 04-25-2005, 11:59 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

Originally Posted by kcidmil
I know how it's done... one of our body shop guys showed me how... but it's a long mind boggling process. I still don't fully understand how it works... but it does. And some of the tools you need are hard to come by. And I don't remember exatcly what some of the stuff was called.

It's been so long, but if I remember right... it requires slightly heating up the area, applying a chemical, and using a rod slowly circling the dent. As you do this the dent shrinks flatening itself out.
you don't apply any chemicals. it's good to heat up the area/panel so the paint won't crack.

you place the rod behind the panel...finding the tip from the light. using the light/reflector board and basically you bend the metal from the back very very little at a time. it's an artform...not something you pick up over night. if you mess up you'll end up getting a high spot on your panel and sometimes the punch down won't get it down correctly.

the dry ice thing was some old racer's trick. they would heat up the panel to the point it's to hot to touch...then quickly press the dry ice to the dent...when you do that it creates a vacume between the ice and the dent. the CO2 trapped in there will cool the panel rapidly and make the air that's stuck in the dent contract. very old school...no one does that anymore i don't think.
Old 04-25-2005, 01:53 PM

I had hail damage on my Maxima, and was planning on having the insurance company fix them, but when the estimate came to $2,000 I used the money elsewhere. That heat cycling thing realy works, as most of the dents are gone now. I didn't do anything, nature did it all. All but the biggest dents are gone, and the biggest ones are now very small and hardly noticeable.

My advise, wait through the summer and see how the hot Alabama days works magic on those dents. Then fix the ones that are still noticeable.
Old 04-26-2005, 05:45 AM

I had the same thing on my 91 Accord in late 99. Still no problems no rust. I just left the pings alone. Came home from work - it was sunny with some gathering clouds. Took an elevator to the 5th floor, looked out of the window and it looked like a white wall and sounded like an army of drummers in training.
Old 04-26-2005, 12:26 PM

haha what are you a poetry major
Old 04-27-2005, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by DanNY
you don't apply any chemicals. it's good to heat up the area/panel so the paint won't crack.

you place the rod behind the panel...finding the tip from the light. using the light/reflector board and basically you bend the metal from the back very very little at a time. it's an artform...not something you pick up over night. if you mess up you'll end up getting a high spot on your panel and sometimes the punch down won't get it down correctly.

the dry ice thing was some old racer's trick. they would heat up the panel to the point it's to hot to touch...then quickly press the dry ice to the dent...when you do that it creates a vacume between the ice and the dent. the CO2 trapped in there will cool the panel rapidly and make the air that's stuck in the dent contract. very old school...no one does that anymore i don't think.
It's been almost 3 years since he showed me the process. Couldn't remember for sure... and I don't work in their shop. I only go over there every once in awhile to help with doors, windows... and relieve stress on old body parts that going to scrap