3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Installing 12' and amp need help

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2005, 10:14 AM
nek
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Installing 12' and amp need help

I brought 2 12's in a box with the capacitor built on top of it. I wanna keep my bose speakers. I have a kenwood head unit with the changer. the speakers are 1000 and amp is 800. The speakers and pioneers and the amp is kenwood. Can I keep my bose speakers and have the box still. Can someone give me step by step instructions on installing my new system.
Old 04-23-2005, 10:46 AM
Im izz sexay

Installation is soo easy. Does your HU have RCA pre-outs. if it does then all you need is an amp installation kit. IF you need help once you get the kit just PM me. I've installed two already. I had to remove one but I'm going bigger so I have to upgrade to a 0 ga. I suggest you getting that kit also so you can upgrade w/o worrying about your wire handling capabilities.

The amp installation kit will tell you what to connect

1) You'll need a power wire to connect to the + terminal on the battery. you can run that wire through the firewall if you remove the drivers side tire and fender well thingy (lol) there is a grommet. Remember to place the fuse atleast 10" from the terminal. You can stuff the wire into there. Then just wire the cable through the cabin , under the backseats to the amp. What ever you do do not connect the wire before running it through You'll set you car on fire if the wire touches the chassis.

2) Then you have to connect the RCA plugs to the HU and run them to the amp.

3)You need to connect the remote wire to the hu remote wire IIRC. Or it could be the HU's power wire I would check but it's raining outside. run that to the amp.

4)After that you need a ground wire. A good spot is right where the upper part of the backseat bolts to the chassis. I don't have any type of alternator whine from it. I do have it from a crappy amp (I found that out because my subs have a pretty decent amp hooked up and they're grounded in the same area and there's no whine from it but there's a whine from my rear speakers.)

4) After the ground wire hook up the speaker cables and you should be all set.

I know I forgot something. Oh yeah the Cap is kind of usless as I have a 1200 max watt system and I get no dimming whatsoever and I don't use a cap I just made sure my grounds are all good and don't have corrosion. But if you want to use the cap just run the power wire to it then run the same guage wire out to the amp positive terminal.

If I forgot something chime in people.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by nek
the speakers are 1000 and amp is 800. The speakers and pioneers and the amp is kenwood.
are those watts or dollars? If they are dollars return that ish ASAP
Old 04-23-2005, 02:42 PM

Just need to add some things

Originally Posted by VG Ill ridah
1) Remember to place the fuse atleast 10" from the terminal.
Place the fuse within 12 inches of the battery (He could take how you said it as put the fuse no less than 10" away from the battery). Just wanna make sure he does it right . Also the best gromet to use is the one for the hood release cable.

2) Then you have to connect the RCA plugs to the HU and run them to the amp.
Also run the RCA's on the passenger side of the car if you run the power on the drivers side.

3)You need to connect the remote wire to the hu remote wire IIRC. Or it could be the HU's power wire I would check but it's raining outside. run that to the amp.
yeap. Use the remote wire, your headunit should have one, if not, use the ACC power wire (normally red) not the constant 12v (normally yellow). Run the remote wire with the power wire if you can. The remote wire is usually blue. Make sure you dont hook it up to your power antenna wire or you will wonder why only your radio works.

4)After that you need a ground wire. A good spot is right where the upper part of the backseat bolts to the chassis.
Also try to keep the ground wire no more than 18" long.

I know I forgot something. Oh yeah the Cap is kind of usless as I have a 1200 max watt system and I get no dimming whatsoever and I don't use a cap I just made sure my grounds are all good and don't have corrosion.
Yeah, but it really depends on your amp. I had a Bazooka EL1500 powering 2 Infinity Reference 10"s (500watts @ 2ohm) in my old black maxima and the headlights would dim when I got it up to around 20 on the volume (kenwood HU). Sold that, bought a JL 300/4 for my mids and highs but didn't wire the entire car yet. Hooked up the JL to my two subs (150watts @4ohm) and if I got past 16 on the volume the fuse would blow under the hood. Added the cap, didn't have that problem anymore.
Old 04-23-2005, 02:50 PM

the shorter the ground wire, the better. also, when you're grounding it, sand any paint off to get a good connection. this would also reduce the chance of getting noise in your system.

as for the RCAs and power wire, you can run them down all one side if you wish. you won't induce any noise if you do. i have all my wires down one side and have no noises at all.

last but not least, check out the audio forum. it's dedicated to....well...audio.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
as for the RCAs and power wire, you can run them down all one side if you wish. you won't induce any noise if you do. i have all my wires down one side and have no noises at all.
yeah, but are you running an amp for your mids/highs?
Old 04-23-2005, 03:24 PM

nope, not yet. the amp is sitting under my bed, been too lazy to install it
Old 04-23-2005, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by AscendantMax
nope, not yet. the amp is sitting under my bed, been too lazy to install it
fwiw, the first thing I did to my car was install a 4 gauge power along with a 12 gauge remote, then 6 channels to the rear of the car. I have not used them once in 1.5 years.

There is a 1000/1 powering 2 10w6v2's and a 450/4 powering MB quart PCE's and RCE's in my Dad's car . Everytime I turn on his stereo its on AM radio
Old 04-23-2005, 03:41 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
There is a 1000/1 powering 2 10w6v2's and a 450/4 powering MB quart PCE's and RCE's in my Dad's car . Everytime I turn on his stereo its on AM radio
that's when you go "dad, since you're not using them...can i have them?"

Old 04-23-2005, 03:46 PM

fosgate ( ) I've tried.

Originally Posted by nek
I brought 2 12's in a box with the capacitor built on top of it. I wanna keep my bose speakers. I have a kenwood head unit with the changer. the speakers are 1000 and amp is 800. The speakers and pioneers and the amp is kenwood. Can I keep my bose speakers and have the box still. Can someone give me step by step instructions on installing my new system.
I dont remember what is required to run an aftermarket HU with the Bose speakers. I know you can though. Also don't forget to secure the box.
Old 04-23-2005, 04:01 PM

damn, been awhile since someone addressed me as fosgate
Old 04-24-2005, 01:23 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
fwiw, the first thing I did to my car was install a 4 gauge power along with a 12 gauge remote
Slight over kill on the remote wire. Check your amps requirements, a lot of amps these days don't require a lot voltage to turn on an amp. You can get away with 16 or 18 guage on them.

I run 12 guage for my speakers... not my remote. And 10 guage in the box... wiring can do wonders just by itself, they pound the crap out of my head
Old 04-24-2005, 02:13 AM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
Slight over kill on the remote wire. Check your amps requirements, a lot of amps these days don't require a lot voltage to turn on an amp. You can get away with 16 or 18 guage on them.
Yeah, but if you add more amps in the future you will be happy. Plus I would rather go over kill.
Old 04-24-2005, 03:24 AM

Ehh I only need 1 in my truck. And I'm going with a Memphis Belle (5 channel) for my Maxima. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone.
Old 04-25-2005, 12:05 PM
nek

I paid 230 for everything and the my bose system is still working with the kenwood head unit. I need to know if the bose speakers will still work with 12's
Old 04-25-2005, 12:13 PM
nek

baby steps please

I need to know what do I need to buy such as parts in order to start the installation. How long do ya'll think it will take me to do the install. How do I install the capacitor since it is already connected to my 12's. This would be my first install so I need basic instructions. Please pm them to me or email them to me @ Neknek3@excite.com