3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Auto Window must be pressed x 3

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 09:01 PM

Auto Window must be pressed x 3

My auto window button has to be pressed three times before it is completely open. Does anybody know what could be causing this? I press down on the switch and it moves about a third of the way each time. any comments? thanks
Old 05-01-2005, 09:20 PM

Damn, that sux. The only solution, I could see would be replacing the master switch, but that is not too cheap, it would run about a hundred bucks. I would think that is where the problem would lye. Is the window rolling a third of the way down and stopping completly? or does it sound like it is struggling? Does the window roll down okay when you just press the regular switch, not the auto switch? I'm just giving suggestions here, I'm not too knowledgeable about this type of problem.
Old 05-01-2005, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by JAXMAX
My auto window button has to be pressed three times before it is completely open. Does anybody know what could be causing this? I press down on the switch and it moves about a third of the way each time. any comments? thanks
Open the mastersw and take a luki, possibly broken foil or bad solderings; while there dodoo the auto -up mod by craig:
http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/
Old 05-02-2005, 06:09 AM
what can my max do for me

WOW!!! your auto down works?!?!
Old 05-02-2005, 06:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

One of mine does exactly the same thing. I don't see how it can be the switch, it must be the circuitry. I am thinking of buying a whole new master switch. The parts dealer told me $116. Maybe he will cut me a break. I'm guessing the auto down will work right, It will look great and maybe the "psycho-lock syndrome" that happens occasionally will go away.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:59 AM

My VG did the same thing, now on my VE the auto-down works fine, I opened it up and did the auto-up, now the auto-up has to be pressed 3 times, I think it got wet.

Another problem is with my switch is that I can't roll the back window (driver's side) up (or down, can't remember) from the master switch, but I can roll it down from the master switch, and both work from the backseat switch...I need to open up my switch and resolder some **** I think, any suggestions?
Old 05-02-2005, 08:50 AM

Originally Posted by michaels'max
Damn, that sux. The only solution, I could see would be replacing the master switch, but that is not too cheap, it would run about a hundred bucks. I would think that is where the problem would lye. Is the window rolling a third of the way down and stopping completly? or does it sound like it is struggling? Does the window roll down okay when you just press the regular switch, not the auto switch? I'm just giving suggestions here, I'm not too knowledgeable about this type of problem.
I'll have to check out my master switch. When i click the auto down switch, it goes a third of the way and then stops. then if i click again, it stops 2/3 of the way. then on the third time, it makes it completely all the way down. no sounds of struggling, i can roll it down fine with its regular switch.
Old 05-02-2005, 08:51 AM

More than likely you just have to take it apart and clean the contacts. You may have to do some adjusting as maybe the contacts are not meeting freely and cleanly.
Old 05-02-2005, 09:36 AM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
... I can't roll the back window (driver's side) up (or down, can't remember) from the master switch, but I can roll it down from the master switch, and both work from the backseat switch...I
U win ctrl datalines sink:
- wet or oxidized connectors,
- wet PCB's or bad soldering
- or just low batt supply voltage.
Clic on: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/13

For batt low check groundings, supply connectors.
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/10
http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/14
Old 05-02-2005, 10:36 AM

I've had this problem before, its a relay on the control board. Either replace the relay ($2) or buy a new control panel $110.
Old 05-02-2005, 11:51 AM

are you talkin about my problem or the original thread problem? how could it be the relay if my auto-down works perfect but my auto-up splits in 1/3s
Old 05-02-2005, 08:48 PM

dmad dunno if you have the same problem but on mine, there was a certain way you can roll down from the drivers switch by pressing the switch at a certain pressure/angle. rolling up was fine. wat i did was i took the master switch on drivers door and i opened the whole thing up and took the pins out that push the buttons on the window. wen i put it back together the window started working fine again
Old 05-03-2005, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by DMad8724
are you talkin about my problem or the original thread problem? how could it be the relay if my auto-down works perfect but my auto-up splits in 1/3s
What year is your max? On my auto down, there's no way you can push it back up. The switch only goes down. ??
Old 05-03-2005, 04:29 PM
91 Maxima Girl

Hmm never had that happen to me but i will let you know if I can come up with any new answers.

Old 05-03-2005, 04:36 PM
I miss my VE

i had this problem before. it all started after i was working with the door panel off, and it started to slightly rain. once i noticed it started raining, i closed the door and waited till it stopped raining so nothing would get wet. i guess i was too late, so i would need to push the up and down on the master switch a few times till it would work, since im guessing something got a bit wet. after about a week, the problem went away completely. never had it since. guess it dried up
Old 05-07-2005, 11:38 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

My window has similar problems

I have a 92 Maxima. My window problem starts like this. At first, I can't press "UP" on driver side for all other windows except driver window. I can press "Down" ok, and I can press up in all the other door itself. Then, after a few days, the driver side window is hard to push "UP" now, i have to keep pushing it and suddenly it would work back to normal. I'm just afraid that one day it will just stop working. All the "down" is ok. Anyone aware of this issue please give me a hand. Thanks!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:48 PM

mANY here seem to have moist and/or oxidized connectors:

How u computerized win's networks? http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/13
Old 05-08-2005, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by mrhuggiez
I have a 92 Maxima. My window problem starts like this. At first, I can't press "UP" on driver side for all other windows except driver window. I can press "Down" ok, and I can press up in all the other door itself. Then, after a few days, the driver side window is hard to push "UP" now, i have to keep pushing it and suddenly it would work back to normal. I'm just afraid that one day it will just stop working. All the "down" is ok. Anyone aware of this issue please give me a hand. Thanks!
I just take the power window switch out today, but can't do anything about it. The "UP" is still not working as normal. The door lock is dead too. Do you think putting a new master switch would work or maybe other problem?
Old 05-09-2005, 05:56 AM

How can we get auto up and down on all windows?
Old 05-09-2005, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by mrhuggiez
I just take the power window switch out today, but can't do anything about it. The "UP" is still not working as normal. The door lock is dead too. Do you think putting a new master switch would work or maybe other problem?
Two different problems; win master sw will not hlp in door lock. Still the master sw might be bad, and new one needed... is +12V present at win sw? Grounding ok?

Door lock pwr comes via Batt fusible link (grn), under the hood. Then there is a circ breaker in the left farthest corner under dash. There it goes to door lock timer, a box under dash. 'These boxes' tend to have bad solderings; resolder helps in scuh case.

Edit: See now schema at http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/13
Old 05-09-2005, 09:01 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

for auto-up, check out my site
Old 05-11-2005, 06:51 PM

i had the same problem, i just went to a junk yard, and got one, cost me $15 but no guarantee that it will work, i was lucky, and if you still have lettering on your switch, just switch the switch heads out
Old 05-12-2005, 06:14 PM

Just checked out my Aussie TI max and it has auto-up and down stock
Old 05-14-2005, 10:15 AM

Had a problem with my driver side switches not working. Tried to clean the contacts, but no use. Had to replace the master switch to fix the problem. I'd try a junkyard to see if you can get one for cheap (I bought mine from the dealership and it was expensive. Dont remember how much exactly.)
Old 05-15-2005, 03:13 PM

this may not be the case for you at all, but this same type of thing happened to me a couple weeks ago. first my auto down switch would have to be pressed 3 times for the window to go all the way down. then sometimes, using the drivers side window controls for the passenger window, nothing would happen. but, if i would reach over to the passenger side and use that window switch, it would go down and come up with no problem. then a few days later, my alternator went out on me. i got a new one and replaced it a couple days ago and now all my switches are working fine. may or may not be the case for you...just my crappy experience.
Old 05-15-2005, 06:04 PM

wait, actually mine was doing that same thing before i got the junk yard one, it would go down partially instread of all the way down, my guess was that the switch was bad, i just bought a junk yard one, was lucky, it works great. one more question, with the sunroof switch, when you hold it, should it close all the way??? or does it stop partially through even though you still have the switch pressed???
Old 05-15-2005, 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by vansskaterfreek
one more question, with the sunroof switch, when you hold it, should it close all the way??? or does it stop partially through even though you still have the switch pressed???

sunroof closes after hittin switch twice..safety feature to prevent pinching of hands/fingers