3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

how to remove airbag steering wheel?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2005, 12:30 PM

how to remove airbag steering wheel?

I have an airbag steering wheel and first of all the leather has dry rotted away and 2nd I dont trust the early models of the airbag. they do more harm than good.

I was at a junkyard today and I found lots of altimas with the leather on the steering wheel but I couldnt get the center "airbag" its self off. does anyone know how to get that center airbag out so that I can try and get to the rest of the wheel? and BTW I am going to disable my airbag and take out the dash light when I do this swap.

also I did see a lot of 240s there. I tried to get one off but Im not strong so I was thinking about renting a steering wheel puller from autozone when I go to get the steering wheel. would a 240 steering wheel fit on an airbag maxima? also how would I wire my cruse up?

Thanks for all of your help!
Old 05-02-2005, 12:39 PM
I'm needing a caw

I could probably help but I'm not really one to assist someone that wants to disable safety systems....
Old 05-02-2005, 12:44 PM

these airbags cause more harm than good IMO. if it were the new ones I wouldnt have a problem with it b/c they come out at different speeds according to how bad the accident is. these airbags come flying out at you at over 200 mph weather its a 10 mph crash or a 100 mph crash.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

Okay good luck there.
Old 05-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well maybe you could help me out then Jeff, because i want to take off my airbag steering wheel and replace it with one in better shape, and i will be using my airbag.
Old 05-02-2005, 01:40 PM
mod or sell?

:read: FSM :read:
Old 05-02-2005, 02:19 PM

the airbag wheel (in our maximas) has 2 T50 torx screws that need to be removed, it took my a while to find a T50 bit, and then i had to drill a hole in the middle of it because the nut in the steering wheel is a "safety" one or something, after you remove those 2 screws (1 behind a little plastic clip, 1 behind the cruise control buttons) and unplug the airbag, check the FSM, it will pull right out, the airbag that is

Originally Posted by Jeff92SE
I could probably help but I'm not really one to assist someone that wants to disable safety systems....
Originally Posted by Jeff92SE
Okay good luck there.
cmon Jeff, just because you don't agree with why he's removing it, that doesn't mean you can't help him out (assuming you know how), you've stated your opinion and so has he, so now lets get to the real problem, which is solving the problem, this is the kinda crap that starts the **** the .org is notorious for
Old 05-02-2005, 02:57 PM

dont do any testing/splicing on the yellow harnesses when you remove the airbag or you could accidentally deploy it

the airbag will not activate at 10mph

I think Jeff wasn't offering that much info since there is plenty of info about simple jobs like this if you just do a little bit of research
Old 05-02-2005, 03:01 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't agree to why he wants to remove it so I won't volunteer it.

I've stated how to do this anyway about 4-5 times. The info is there.

So since he's removing a safety device and since Nissan or the NHTSA hasen't issued any reports suggesting the removal of older style airbags, I'm not inclined to just spoon feed the information.

And if you don't think I help people, I can stop all together I guess. Because according to you, I just start crap. So I'll just refrain from starting crap at all.

Originally Posted by DMad8724
cmon Jeff, just because you don't agree with why he's removing it, that doesn't mean you can't help him out (assuming you know how), you've stated your opinion and so has he, so now lets get to the real problem, which is solving the problem, this is the kinda crap that starts the **** the .org is notorious for
Old 05-02-2005, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
I don't agree to why he wants to remove it so I won't volunteer it.

I've stated how to do this anyway about 4-5 times. The info is there.

So since he's removing a safety device and since Nissan or the NHTSA hasen't issued any reports suggesting the removal of older style airbags, I'm not inclined to just spoon feed the information.

And if you don't think I help people, I can stop all together I guess. Because according to you, I just start crap. So I'll just refrain from starting crap at all.
why should it matter if you agree to him removing it or not, if you have the information itll take you a minute (like it did for me) to type it down and help someone out, maybe make their day

"So since he's removing a safety device and since Nissan or the NHTSA hasen't issued any reports suggesting the removal of older style airbags, I'm not inclined to just spoon feed the information."

they hasen't??

didn't remember saying you didnt help people, but ok
Old 05-02-2005, 03:10 PM
I'm needing a caw

Originally Posted by DMad8724
why should it matter if you agree to him removing it or not, if you have the information itll take you a minute (like it did for me) to type it down and help someone out, maybe make their day
Why exactly should I feel obligated to offer instructions that are contrary to my beliefs?? If the dude gets into a head on and dies because he disabled the airbag, I wouldn't want that on me. Or if he sells the car w/o the airbag and the NEXT person gets into an accident, what then? Remember, he said he's disabling the airbag INDICATOR also.

Originally Posted by maximaboi
and BTW I am going to disable my airbag and take out the dash light when I do this swap.

"So since he's removing a safety device and since Nissan or the NHTSA hasen't issued any reports suggesting the removal of older style airbags, I'm not inclined to just spoon feed the information."

they hasen't??
They have?

didn't remember saying you didnt help people, but ok
You implied my actions are typical and is "crap". So you guys are own you own. But that's okay.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:09 PM

these airbags cause more harm than good IMO
Ask Matt93SE about how much "harm" they cause. He has deployed two so far.

You will end up doing what you're planning on anyway, so this might go to waste, but do not remove your airbag. Godforbid, should you get in an accident, I don't think you will feel too unlucky to find your face still in recognizable condition after an otherwise catastrophic collision.
Old 05-02-2005, 04:54 PM

Not trying to step on anyones feet, because i respect everyone here and everyone helps me out alot. But Jeff your first comment wasn unneccesary... if you didnt want to help him because you didnt agree you should just not say anything at all because all it does is start stuff, and this topic is a legitmate example of such things. And Jeff its nothing personal because i know you have helped me alot and i appreciate it, but i just dont think it was the best idea to say that, and taking out your airbag isnt the best idea either.
Old 05-02-2005, 06:05 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

bye bye airbag, can i have it as a souvenir ? J/K you mentioned that to me when you bought it and i have to agree with keeping it in. a head on catastrophic collision you cant avoid would be bad. having your face intact.......priceless. and the airbag sensors in the bumper will need a pretty good hit to deploy the bags. they are supposed to be checked by nissan 10 years after the date of manufacture. my suggestion is find an airbag wheel that has nice leather and swap it out. i wouldnt tamper with the safety features of the car unless you NEVER going to sell it and will junk the car when finished with it <-----j/k but its your ride so you do what you feel comfortable with everyone here is just handing out opinions including myself, sometimes its good to hear others out. well anyway good luck hope shes treatin ya well so far. (can i buy her back?) ssssssshhhhhhh ::::::::::.......voices in head.....:::::::::
Old 05-02-2005, 09:25 PM

make sure u unplug the airbag wiring harness on the bottom of the wheel before even touching the wheel and i wouldnt recomend going to a non airbag wheel unless u want to tear into the wiring to retain the cruise control and horn, it is possible i have a 240 wheel in mine but the it was kind of a pain in the *** to get the wiring right

edit: oh yeah u can get the torx bits with the hole in it so u dont have to drill it out
Old 05-02-2005, 10:49 PM
I'm needing a caw

I don't mind you speaking your opinion. But if this person is going to blatently go out of his way to disable the system and disable the light, then I'm going to say something about that. Because I feel it's not right for the next person that might own the car.

I think taking out the airbag to move it to a better condition wheel is fine. I've done it. I wouldn't have a problem with it.

But to take out the bag and disable the light is wrong IMHO. Especially if you have to mangle the wiring to get the other stuff to work right. And to me that indicates it won't ever be put back to stock for the next person

Originally Posted by mtnbikeair
Not trying to step on anyones feet, because i respect everyone here and everyone helps me out alot. But Jeff your first comment wasn unneccesary... if you didnt want to help him because you didnt agree you should just not say anything at all because all it does is start stuff, and this topic is a legitmate example of such things. And Jeff its nothing personal because i know you have helped me alot and i appreciate it, but i just dont think it was the best idea to say that, and taking out your airbag isnt the best idea either.
Old 05-03-2005, 04:21 AM

Stirrup of the horNets..

I havent got tha explosives that kill mechs and rescue personnel...am I lucky?... one inhalation of a ripped bag kills u in 4minutes, no known cure. Have fun, choking death... (suspicious: I really suspect these kill more than save, at least ammo is very toxic environmental poison and unsolved complicated junkyard ecological problem. But who cares if we kill thousands in the name of safety...)

Btw. wouldnt it be fastest way just to hit the wall over 30mph? Then u would also know if it really was in working condition...

Ghost Bag; The happyBag is one of the hottest blkmarket selling item - they do disappear during routine maintenance at stealerships (according the news)... go an check: are yours still there?
Old 05-03-2005, 05:31 AM

well I did plan on connecting the airbag back up if I ever did sell it. that would be a good selling point because most 93 cars dont have an airbag.

I had no ideah that this would cause so much drama. I respect what everyone has to say. but I have seen videos and heard stories and I NEVER drive without my seatbelt so IMO I will be safer with it off than with it on.

Thank you to all that have answered my queston. I saw that bit and I didnt know if I had to take that out or what. now I know and will have to go find one.
Old 05-03-2005, 11:03 AM

I NEVER drive without my seatbelt so IMO I will be safer with it off than with it on.
Man, I am sorry for acting like a leech and just not letting go of this. But your comment above is the reason why every time I see a trauma victim (i am an intern at a local hospital) arriving from the scene of an accident, I question myself why he/she or others made the choices that did that to them. Last month I saw a girl whom I didn't believe originally had blond hair when her brother told me. She was driving an '89 Corolla...no airbag. And yes, her belt was on.

Airbags say SRS on them because that's what they are: a part of the Supplemental Restraint System. Without a seat belt, one might as well not have any SRS in place. To say that you never drive without a belt so IYO you will be "safer" is like saying you don't need to learn how to swim because you are never around pools.

Yes, there are times when airbags can harm you, just like there are times when a seat belt kills you because you are trapped in a burning car, etc. etc. But not being omnicient, we just never know what will happen when we put the car in gear and get going. So we do what we can to protect ourselves from the "what ifs".

You have seen "videos" and heard "stories" huh? If you are ever in Denver, PM me and I will show you a real life trauma center just like I do to teens once every two weeks who are caught excessively speeding or street racing. They freeze in their spots.

Again, I am sorry for being such a pain in the @ss. But if it is between that and godforbid hearing you got hurt as a result of your actions, I will take the former any day.