3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Radio Install

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2005, 03:25 PM

Radio Install

Hey fellas. I installed a radio in my 94 se that had the bose speakers in them. I bypassed the amps on each speaker and wired the speakers directly from the radio. The only thing is that when I try to play all 4 speakers together I get a choppy sound. But if I just play the back speaker by themselves it sounds ok. If I play the front speakers by themselves I get the same choppy until I take out all the bass and treble and turn it up. Any ideas? The radio that I installed is a jvc 40wx4. I was told by one guy that it is possible that the radio is not putting out enough power to the speaker. Does this sound like a possible solution.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:27 PM

Those speakers are not designed to handle aftermarket HUs directly, especially the front ones.
Old 05-05-2005, 04:47 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Get new speakers for both the front and rear. Not only does it already sound bad, the one ohm speakers of the old Bose may damage the new HU. There is a bose adapter you can buy but IMHO it sounds like sheitt too.
Old 05-05-2005, 06:02 PM

Yeah, you can get a set of new speakers for like 80 for all four and it will be decent quality. I am using Lightning audio speakers, and it can be bought at Walmart, and they work very well, no complaints.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:16 PM

invest in new speakers. you'll thank yourself later down the road.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:12 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

With lower power and sound for your buck I like component speakers in the front and 2-ways in the rear. You can mount the tweeters w/o too much work and hide the crossovers cleanly; or in the glove box, who needs maps.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:30 PM

I just got some new Pioneers from Walmart for $40 for the front and ended up keeping the Bose in the rear. Yeah I know it's not great for my new HU, but it sounds really good and I dont feel like investing more money into speakers for a possibly worse sound (if that makes sense)
Old 05-06-2005, 05:42 AM

That is the exact idea I had. The back speakers sound real good so I thought about keeping those as mids basically. Then putting some kicker speakers in the front if they make them in that size. Then getting the kicker tweeters in the a pillars. Then a nice sub box in the trunk. I think I may just have to hold out until for a while. I want to put better brakes on the max first anyway.

Anybody got the kicker solo baric's installed in their max. I love the sound they produce.
Old 05-06-2005, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by pito11213
That is the exact idea I had. The back speakers sound real good so I thought about keeping those as mids basically. Then putting some kicker speakers in the front if they make them in that size. Then getting the kicker tweeters in the a pillars. Then a nice sub box in the trunk. I think I may just have to hold out until for a while. I want to put better brakes on the max first anyway.

Anybody got the kicker solo baric's installed in their max. I love the sound they produce.
WOW! A Newbie that thinks brakes are more important than speakers!!! How sensible. It makes me proud of our youth (even if you are 24!)
Old 05-06-2005, 08:54 AM

Originally Posted by pito11213
Stroll down to the audio section. I'm pretty sure a couple of people have them. I'm not a big fan of Kicker myself.

I'm more of a Memphis nut... still trying to get my text changed to "Resident Memphis Audio Nut" But Sprinty hasn't gotten back to me yet. Guess I'll try Jeff next.
Old 05-06-2005, 11:02 AM

Thanks for the newbie comment. I defiantely want the brakes. I have learned that having my car at 100% is a beautiful thing. Then worry about the other trick stuff. Even though I did change my bulb color all around the car. ( I had to have a little fun)

Kicker is a pretty good brand. Their system used to be one of the best out there. I really like kenwood for their amps and head units. If I really wanted top of the line I would probably go nakamichi but I am not spending that kind of money just for that.
Old 05-06-2005, 12:37 PM

put some 6.5 in the front buy the brackers for the front the sound quality comes out great better then factory
Old 05-06-2005, 03:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I have Polk 4" (10-50W RMS) component speakers up front. The sound quality and bass are impressive and if you one day decide to run an amp or two they've a pretty high power handling capability. If you can find a set on sale I'd consider them every time on versatility alone. I've seen a few deals on 2-way plate speakers that fit the 3rd gen Max, I don't know much about 'em, but they might be worth a look.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:48 PM

if you want larger speakers up front, PM james92se and ask for his speaker mounts. think he's selling them around 30 bucks for a set. i bought a set from him awhile back, and mounted some bostons 6.5s up front to replace the dinky 4x6 speakers.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:26 AM

If ya wanna be ghetto, wire both left speakers in series to the left rear (or front, either one) channel, same for the right. Doubles the resistance. That's what I did and it sounds supprisingly decent.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:10 PM

Get new speakers. Bose was meant to work with Bose. Sounds much better with aftermarket speakers. Trust me i know first Hand.
Old 05-12-2005, 06:59 AM

While radios are on subject... anyone know where to buy brackets for putting a radio in a maxima? My car came without a radio or that tray thingy.
Old 05-12-2005, 08:35 AM
mod or sell?

install kit at best buy I think has em
Old 05-21-2005, 12:24 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Pioneer Deck with Bose Speakers....Wire chaos.....

I recently purchased a 90 Maxima GXE and it has a Pioneer CD Player with the Bose stock speakers... From what i've read I've learned you must bypass the speakers or use the amp turn on(blue with white-stripe) wire to power the bose speakers. I've had the car about 5 days and have heard the radio randomly twice over this period of time. I was once playing with the power sunroof and all of a sudden the music started blowing my ear drums. The other time I was playing with the distributor with the motor idling. The deck is getting power(who knows how much) because it reads my cd, tells me the track time, and allows me to adjust every feature on the head unit. Every time i plug the wire harness into the back of my deck, with the key out of the ignition, the speakers give feedback with a violent "pop". This is also true when I turn the radio on and off(both give severe quick and crisp feedback). I have installed a few aftermarket cd players in my time, but nothing as chaotic as this one. Someone did a horrible job, and I'm bound to fix it... I did find they had a small wire bypassing one of the wire harnesses on two wires( yellow to what would be yellow on the other side, and red to waht matches up on the other side of the harness). I removed these wires because to me, the wire harness hooks them up, and they dont need to be connected twice.

this is a picture of the wire harness farthest away from the cd player when they are all hooked up

electrical chaos

this picture is of the rear bose speakers that appear to have stock wiring, and no bypassing of the amps

this picture points to the wire that splices to three other power(im assuming so) wires(all black and from harnesses) and goes somewhere towards the firewall

my electrical knowledge tells me i need to find a new power source because whoever installed the deck found a random wire that had power and spliced into it. if this is true tell me where i can find a new power source. I also inspected the instrument panel and found two popped fuses, neither being the audio fuse. i do remember that the electronic battery(10 amp i think left side, third from bottom?) fuse was on of the fuses popped.

Anything you can give me would be greatly appreciated.... I have found this forum very useful!!!!!!