3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

changed the injectors in my 93, ran great for 10 min, but....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2005, 11:38 AM

changed the injectors in my 93, ran great for 10 min, but....

like the title said, i changed the injectors in my 93(also a gxe) because injector #5 had infinate resistance. got a reman set, put them in, car started up fine, ran ok, went to fill the tank up, and i noticed at low rpm's the car was stuttering, i figured maybe a vacuum leak, but i sprayed all vacuum locations with starter fluid, to see if there were any changes, nothing, but the car is getting worse. i pulled a couple of plugs up, and they smell like gas, so i know the injectors are ok(plus i pressurized them and tested them and the seals prior to putting the rail permanently in the car) it sounds like a vacuum leak, but the car is running worse now, and i sprayed everywhere and the engine doesnt run any better, in fact it it runs worse. what i noticed that is strange is that when the engine is off, and i move the throttle, it makes an electrical noise by the transmission. i disconnected both connections at the tps, and it runs better for a sec or two, and goes back. am i missing something? could the tps have gone bad? i have the stuff off my 89 to swap if i really wanted, but i dont think that it's a sensor.

any ideas? thanks, juan
Old 05-14-2005, 12:11 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

is it hard to start?
Old 05-14-2005, 12:12 PM

it cranks a lil longer, but not much
Old 05-14-2005, 12:23 PM

ummm try this.take the plugs out and read them to see how its burning. I had to do this three time putting mine in as I for some reason 20to30 miles down the road the dam injectors would start leaking. Check to see if any of the plugs are black or diffrant than others.
Old 05-14-2005, 12:58 PM

i lied. i just let it cool down for 30 minutes or so and its taking longer to turn over. maybe theyre leaking
Old 05-14-2005, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by shavedmax
i lied. i just let it cool down for 30 minutes or so and its taking longer to turn over. maybe theyre leaking
just check the plugs that will tell you witch one and how many. the first time I had two leaking and then i finaly got it down to one and then none. try to read them and see if you have a leak.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:08 PM

Check and clean the 2 little pigtail grounds on the engine.
Old 05-14-2005, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by used parts
Check and clean the 2 little pigtail grounds on the engine.
the ones on the intake? those are the only ones i removed, and they were pretty clean when i put them back on, but ill check

93turbo gxe, one of the plugs before looked like at had been running hot, ill pull the rest out and see whats going on
Old 05-14-2005, 07:33 PM
mod or sell?

rebuilt injectors
are the plugs wet? or do they just smell of gas?
the injectors may just be stuck open.
Old 05-14-2005, 07:49 PM

juan.. when jay and i did mines i had no problem. also check your spark plug to see whether it has oil on it or tip is wet. When i went to change my injector, i previously changed all the spark plugs, so check that out. Just trying to help. bad spark plug could cause it to stutter. On my gxe it would crank and crank but not turn over, replaced the spark plugs and turned on immidately.
Old 05-14-2005, 11:37 PM
Seperated at Birth?

dont listen to anyone else. just me.

you've installed them incorrectly. your o-rings have pinched or torn and need to be replaced. god help you if you used the same o-rings....

slather the outside of the rings with vaseline, set in the hole, use a towel as a cushion and press STRAIGHT down on the injector. it should slide in with a *pop* at the end.

oh, and before you put in the injector again, take a Q-tip and swab the o-ring seats. clean them good!
Old 05-15-2005, 12:55 AM

.... i have the stuff off my 89 to swap if i really wanted, but i dont think that it's a sensor. any ideas? thanks, juan
TPS condition has to be verified anyways, so why not measure it, swap if... Lots easier than injector.

TPS is used only on cold engine & tranny. Warm engine relies on O2, MAF. Nobody can thell when they fail. Check sensors.

PCV?
Old 05-15-2005, 04:45 AM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
rebuilt injectors
are the plugs wet? or do they just smell of gas?
the injectors may just be stuck open.
i was waiting for your sarcasm.

before i put anything together i hooked up the gas lines, disconnected the ignition and had my fiancee crank the car over to ensure the NEW seals had seated and that they were all firing correctly. they were, and i let them sit pressurized for 5 minutes to see if they were leaking, and they were not. could they have gone bad after, sure, but i, would rather check externals out foirst before having to tear appart the manifold and buying new gaskets. i kinda gave up on it yesterday, so i could rear the haynes manual and get my mind off it, so i could be clearheaded today. i really think it's a vacuum leak, but, spraying fluid doesnt make a change, so who knows.

viking i'll check the tps, do you really thing the pcv could cause that bad of a problem? i changed it last year, but it was dirty when i took the hose off.

no one has any idea what that buzzing noise by the tranny could be? it only happens when the tps is moved. and it doesnt happen on my 89, which makes me think maybe the tps got damaged somehow and is screwing things up.
Old 05-15-2005, 04:58 AM

... i really think it's a vacuum leak, but, spraying fluid doesnt make a change, so who knows. ... viking i'll check the tps, do you really thing the pcv could cause that bad of a problem? i changed it last year, but it was dirty when i took the hose off.
Veeery easy to clamp the PCV hose for tst. I would also test sensors before going after injectors, just because its easy, and could be a problem...

TPS is used to ctrl the tranny. If tranny works ok, dont bother as there are solenoids working... Check for tranny info: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/15
Old 05-15-2005, 06:36 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Veeery easy to clamp the PCV hose for tst. I would also test sensors before going after injectors, just because its easy, and could be a problem...

TPS is used to ctrl the tranny. If tranny works ok, dont bother as there are solenoids working... Check for tranny info: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/15

my pvc hose is all hard and brittle, so if i clamp it itll just break, i guess i can take it back off and just cover the pcv.
Old 05-15-2005, 07:31 AM

my pvc hose is all hard and brittle, so if i clamp it itll just break, i guess i can take it back off and just cover the pcv.
Take hose off and plugit. The PCV Positive Crancase Valve is a enviro feature not needed: one could put a hose running down the engine, plug the intake.

Brittle hoses may play weird games as they warm, I suggest u buy new hose.
Old 05-15-2005, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by antonthegrey

you've installed them incorrectly. your o-rings have pinched or torn and need to be replaced. god help you if you used the same o-rings....

slather the outside of the rings with vaseline, set in the hole, use a towel as a cushion and press STRAIGHT down on the injector. it should slide in with a *pop* at the end.

oh, and before you put in the injector again, take a Q-tip and swab the o-ring seats. clean them good!

I had to install my NEW injectors 3 times until i could get them to seat correctly. One was always stuck open. When i first started it, it would work fine, then the cylinder would fill up w/ gas and foul out the plug. The one plug was literally drenched in gas. I really think u are having the same issues. The plugs will let u know, just see if they are soaking in gas.
Old 05-15-2005, 11:56 AM
mod or sell?

1. it wasn't meant as sarcasm, but seriousness.
2. unless you had the rail installed and watched the injectors fire (I'd love to know how someone did that) there is still the possibility of a torn o'ring
3. propane works better / more accurately for finding vaccum leaks.
a vaccum leak can occur anywhere the manifolds meet not just at the vacum lines.

4. PCV is not strictly an emission thing, it's also to help your crankcase maintain the proper pressure.

I hope you figure out your problem soon and find it to be a simple stupid fix like an intake bolt came loose as is causing a vaccum leak.
i was waiting for your sarcasm.

before i put anything together i hooked up the gas lines, disconnected the ignition and had my fiancee crank the car over to ensure the NEW seals had seated and that they were all firing correctly. they were, and i let them sit pressurized for 5 minutes to see if they were leaking, and they were not. could they have gone bad after, sure, but i, would rather check externals out foirst before having to tear appart the manifold and buying new gaskets. i kinda gave up on it yesterday, so i could rear the haynes manual and get my mind off it, so i could be clearheaded today. i really think it's a vacuum leak, but, spraying fluid doesnt make a change, so who knows.

viking i'll check the tps, do you really thing the pcv could cause that bad of a problem? i changed it last year, but it was dirty when i took the hose off.

no one has any idea what that buzzing noise by the tranny could be? it only happens when the tps is moved. and it doesnt happen on my 89, which makes me think maybe the tps got damaged somehow and is screwing things up.
Old 05-15-2005, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
1. it wasn't meant as sarcasm, but seriousness.
2. unless you had the rail installed and watched the injectors fire (I'd love to know how someone did that) there is still the possibility of a torn o'ring
3. propane works better / more accurately for finding vaccum leaks.
a vaccum leak can occur anywhere the manifolds meet not just at the vacum lines.

4. PCV is not strictly an emission thing, it's also to help your crankcase maintain the proper pressure.

I hope you figure out your problem soon and find it to be a simple stupid fix like an intake bolt came loose as is causing a vaccum leak.
honestly, thanks for actually caring, we usually have a post feud from our differances.
i actually had the injectors in the rail and hooked the rail up to the feed lines. i then disconnected the ignition coil wiring(not the coil plug, as it could still look for a way to ground) and had my fiancee crank the car, this way i knew the injectors were working, plus before i bolted them down i made sure they were'nt leaking. the car actually started right up this morning, so i doubt the injectors were kealing or else it would have taken longer to crank over. i was actually afraid of having a vacuum leak at the manifold, so i torqued it properly and i bought a torque wrench(for some reason i never got one). i doubt that the manifold is leaking, but it may. i noticed that when i take the car off part throttle it seems to make a noise by the egr, so maybee there's something leaking there, or it could just be that trans noise i hear when the throttle is opened. i'll try propane and see i it does anything. luckily i have another way to get around, so its not a huge deal, but my fiancee is gonna drive me nuts until i get her her car back.
Old 05-15-2005, 05:58 PM

honestly, thanks for actually caring, we usually have a post feud from our differances.
i actually had the injectors in the rail and hooked the rail up to the feed lines. i then disconnected the ignition coil wiring(not the coil plug, as it could still look for a way to ground) and had my fiancee crank the car, this way i knew the injectors were working, plus before i bolted them down i made sure they were'nt leaking. the car actually started right up this morning, so i doubt the injectors were kealing or else it would have taken longer to crank over. i was actually afraid of having a vacuum leak at the manifold, so i torqued it properly and i bought a torque wrench(for some reason i never got one). i doubt that the manifold is leaking, but it may. i noticed that when i take the car off part throttle it seems to make a noise by the egr, so maybee there's something leaking there, or it could just be that trans noise i hear when the throttle is opened. i'll try propane and see i it does anything. luckily i have another way to get around, so its not a huge deal, but my fiancee is gonna drive me nuts until i get her her car back.
Did u check fuel pressure? I'd check that to see if the fuel pressure drops. If it drops then u most likely have an injector that's stuck open or pinched o-ring. Good luck
Old 05-16-2005, 06:35 AM
mod or sell?

shaved- there's also a little "insulator" that a couple people have had crack on them that goes on the tip of the injector. double check that too.
Old 05-17-2005, 03:30 PM

pulled all the plugs, all of them are sooted up, so it doesnt seem that i have a vacuum leak, its running rich instead. pulled the plug wires one by one, # 2 and 6 dont have an effect, so it gound either be plugs(it has spark) or the injectors are plugged up(ressistance is good). im going to swap plugs and see if it makes a difference
Old 05-17-2005, 04:11 PM
mod or sell?

I wish you luck that it is the plugs.
you probably have to clean/replace them now anyways
but we all know the real problem
Old 05-17-2005, 04:46 PM
Seperated at Birth?

jeezus christ, did you not listen to anything I had said?

here it is again just in case you passed it by....

Old 05-17-2005, 05:21 PM

jeezus christ, did you not listen to anything I had said?

here it is again just in case you passed it by....

WOW i've never seen a 19 yr old be cockier than you, no offense but there are people on here that i would listen to first before someone who says, and i quote "dont listen to anyone else. just me.

you've installed them incorrectly. your o-rings have pinched or torn and need to be replaced. god help you if you used the same o-rings...." makes me feel like the 2 yrs i spent getting a automotive engineering degree were well spent. i understand that you too had a problem, and it very well be my problem as well now, but since you didnt read my first post well enough, i'll reiterate --so i know the injectors are ok(plus i pressurized them and tested them and the seals prior to putting the rail permanently in the car-- in 19 year old tems that means, i took the rail completey off the car, i took my old injectors off it, i cleaned the rail with solvent and lacquer thinner, then cleaned it out with mineral spirits and wd40 to get the solvents out, because solvents eat seals. i then wd40'd the seals and the rail(as per the manufacturer's specs) installed the injectors, took the rail assembly(i know this is getting lengthy, but stay with me, the good part is comming up) and i hooked that up to the gas feed and return. disconnected the ignition this way i would have no spark, and GET THIS, i cranked the car on!!!, with the rail sitting on top of the engine!this way, before i spent 2 hrs bolting stuff together and wasting 25 bucks on gaskets, i made sure the seals werent leaking and injectors were firing. both were ok, therefore i would prefer to rule out any other problems that i may be having before i rip the intake appart again. once i rule that out, i can undo the intake and see if the injectors are leaking.

oh and thank you for your concerns
Old 05-17-2005, 06:24 PM
Seperated at Birth?

so I take it my ASE Certs mean nothing? my short stint at tech school meant nothing (went over everything minus brakes, heavy duty diesel, and auto trannies, i left before I could take those classes)? I might have been foolish enough to assume you were just an amature wrencher, but so were you.

Lemme explain this in 24 year old terminology...

I did the exact same thing as you. Well, everything minus pressure testing the rail removed from the engine (a very stupid move, i might add... no tech/mechanic worth his left ******** would have done something so... rash. Y HELO THAR! LETS TEST AN OPEN (key word) FUEL SYSTEM AROUND A LIVE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT! )

anyway... i put it all back together and there were no leaks...

FOR 3 HOURS. Then everything went to hell. Sure enough, my so called "secure" seals had taken a crap and were leaking fuel at the rate of 1/4 tank to every 6 miles.

Any tech/mechanic who knows his **** knows that a pressurized fuel system on a non-running vehicle is not even close to a pressurized fuel system installed in a running engine, in terms of testing and diagnosing. Nine times out of ten, when there's a leak, it's not pressure thats forcing the leak, it's flow AND pressure resulting in the said leak.

This "cocky" 19 year old might be just that. That being said, I'll take the "cocky" nomenclature over the "ignorant" one that's pasted on your forehead any day.

edit: oh, and my car started right up also... even with a pinched o-ring.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:42 PM

so I take it my ASE Certs mean nothing? my short stint at tech school meant nothing (went over everything minus brakes, heavy duty diesel, and auto trannies, i left before I could take those classes)? I might have been foolish enough to assume you were just an amature wrencher, but so were you.

Lemme explain this in 24 year old terminology...

I did the exact same thing as you. Well, everything minus pressure testing the rail removed from the engine (a very stupid move, i might add... no tech/mechanic worth his left ******** would have done something so... rash. Y HELO THAR! LETS TEST AN OPEN (key word) FUEL SYSTEM AROUND A LIVE ELECTRICAL CIRCUIT! )

anyway... i put it all back together and there were no leaks...

FOR 3 HOURS. Then everything went to hell. Sure enough, my so called "secure" seals had taken a crap and were leaking fuel at the rate of 1/4 tank to every 6 miles.

Any tech/mechanic who knows his **** knows that a pressurized fuel system on a non-running vehicle is not even close to a pressurized fuel system installed in a running engine, in terms of testing and diagnosing. Nine times out of ten, when there's a leak, it's not pressure thats forcing the leak, it's flow AND pressure resulting in the said leak.

This "cocky" 19 year old might be just that. That being said, I'll take the "cocky" nomenclature over the "ignorant" one that's pasted on your forehead any day.
again, read one line at a time instead of attacking what i said. i disconnected the ignition system. there's a plug that goes to the coil. if the coil doesnt get a signal, it doesnt charge, therefore, no risk of a fire, but i still had a fire extinguisher with me.

how could i not assume you were an ammateur wrencher with the comment you left. people like matt, jeff, internetautomart, wiking have proven to have alot more experience than you and dont post assenine comments about other people like they are the center of the universe. if you had stated that you had put your car together and 3 hours later you had a leak, then i might have listened, but you jumped the gun and said, i'm the man, i fixed it in my car, and no one else is worth spit, so listen to me only. and god help you if you were too stupid to relaize you should have put new seals on.
whats even better is that you saw that i gave you no attention and you posted again to draw attention to yourself.

if you feel like having a pissing contest have fun, i just want to fix my car
Old 05-17-2005, 08:43 PM
Seperated at Birth?

again, read one line at a time instead of attacking what i said. i disconnected the ignition system. there's a plug that goes to the coil. if the coil doesnt get a signal, it doesnt charge, therefore, no risk of a fire, but i still had a fire extinguisher with me.

how could i not assume you were an ammateur wrencher with the comment you left. people like matt, jeff, internetautomart, wiking have proven to have alot more experience than you and dont post assenine comments about other people like they are the center of the universe. if you had stated that you had put your car together and 3 hours later you had a leak, then i might have listened, but you jumped the gun and said, i'm the man, i fixed it in my car, and no one else is worth spit, so listen to me only. and god help you if you were too stupid to relaize you should have put new seals on.
whats even better is that you saw that i gave you no attention and you posted again to draw attention to yourself.

if you feel like having a pissing contest have fun, i just want to fix my car
edit2: i dont care anymore.

good luck with the car!