3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Battery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:12 PM

Battery?

In searching for a car stereo, I have been informed that a lot of the specs that you will see for the car stereos are incorrect. Well, not so much incorrect as misleading. Some people say that specs such as rms are not accurate if your installing your system in a car that uses a 12v battery. Cause these specs are derrived from using a 16v battery. So my question, is this true? and secondly, is there any harm in putting in a 16v batter into a car that uses a 12v. Would you have to make any other modifications to do this? And, thirdly, where would you find a battery that is higher than 12v? I've only seen 12v ones.

Thanks a lot.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by michaels'max
In searching for a car stereo,... I've only seen 12v ones.
Thanks a lot.
Hmm... I have been informed that a lot of the specs that you will see for the Maxima are incorrect. Well, so much so as misleading... Dont mess with maxima voltage level; if u need something weird for u audio, keep it separated: find and install separate alt and batt. ...but, where would you find a car audio that is higher than 12v? I've only seen 12v ones. But then what do I know; c-cassette hillybilly...

... a battery that is higher than 12v? I've only seen 12v and 24V ones - for vehicle use, that is.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:22 AM

Well, what I meant was that, apparently using a battery with a higher voltage rating would allow you to get the type of watts out of your audio system that these companies advertise. I don't know, it's just what I have heard. I don't want to put in some "monster" stereo system, I'm just basically curious that if this rumor of using a higher voltage battery is correct in that it will provide more rms wattage. And also if putting a higher voltage battery into the car would do any other damage?
Old 05-17-2005, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by michaels'max
...And also if putting a higher voltage battery into the car would do any other damage?
V x A = Watts

The higher value for V, results in higher value of W

I dont think 16V will still ruin the vehicle systems. But std alt will never load u battery which needs about 18V recharge voltage. That ? could ruin ECU; dunno. will ever never try.

Silence rules: http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/748507/17
Old 05-17-2005, 02:49 AM

Hmm I don't think it would be a great idea, I wouldn't do it. The electronics are designed for a specific voltage, current etc and so it could cause damage that way?

Would a secondary battery be an option?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:07 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

A second battery IS an option, people have done it, but what is used to recharge the battery is still unknown to me, unless you plan to plug the battery in everynight.
Old 05-17-2005, 05:35 AM

I'm not really serious about doing this to enhance my car stereo system or anything, I'm really just curious about it for personal knowledge. It was just something that interests me. Does anyone know if there is any truth to the ratings of car steros to be based off of a higher voltage battery than what is in normal cars?
Old 05-17-2005, 05:52 AM

Ive got two batteries in my 4x4 which is for additional power for a portable fridge/freezer and drinking water pumps in the back. I think its wired in parrallel with the other battery so it does charge with the other, and can be disconnected with a rubber washer when not in use. Its handy if the other battery is low and car struggles to start.

As for the Rms values I have also heard speaker power output is overrated.
Old 05-17-2005, 06:28 AM
mod or sell?

turbo start makes an 18V battery, but as you can probably guess by it's name it's mostly for starting boost
Old 05-17-2005, 07:07 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

"most" amp companies and the like usually give you ratings at 14.4 volts.
that's the highest voltage rating the car should be running on w/o blowing something up. a normal car should run anywhere from upper/high 12s to low 14s while the engine is running.

running odd ball voltage would gain you nothing but a fire under the dash.

adding additional batteries would increase cap (wired parallel)....but if you wired it in series it will give you 24v (2 12v batteries).
Old 05-17-2005, 07:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

It is common for car stereo manufacturers to give an inflated "watts" output figure. It is just another method of measuring. True RMS is the more accurate method. The Alpine I just put in one of my three SE's listed both. 45x4 (inflated method) and 16 x4 RMS--big difference. There is nothing you can do to make it better.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:53 AM

you can get 16v alts and batteries at..jegs or jcw, I forget which. The stock alt on my truck charges at 16v with highbeams/heater/tailgate lights/stereo on, and 17.4 with nothing else on. 16v systems arn't hard on older vehicles, but I wouldn't suggest it on a maxima, or any other computer controlled vehicles. Running higher voltage DOES make your amps drive harder, but its also harder on the internals. I plan on replacing the alt in my truck with one with a few more amps output and a better voltage regulator when I stick an amp in with the stereo.

As for dual batteries, I run and always will run atleast two batteries on all the vehicles I put a stereo in. In the max, my rear battery is for the stereo, and is isolated from the front while driving, but if I need the CA to start it, I can reconnect it to the front battery and start the car. I have a 1.5a charger/maintainer connected to the rear battery and I keep it plugged in when parked.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:46 PM

Thanks a lot for the info guys, that's exactly the type of info I was looking for.