3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

led taillight bulbs...anyone got em??

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2005, 04:48 PM

led taillight bulbs...anyone got em??

i know i know...im linking to an ebay auction but are these a good candiidate for leds in our taillights??

i ask because you can see they have bulbs on top and on the sides..

wouldnt that make them better since they sit on their sides in the housing?? just throwing it out there? i think our taillights are 1157...not positive, even if nt they could be retrofitted. i dont need the led look so to speak just brighter is cooler.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:02 AM

ok well ill just try them out myself, if i see an improvement yay, if not all well.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:13 AM

i dont know, let me check with our C.E.No

umm, look at the bulb housing. the bulbs are side mounted.

you would need a 90 degree led to make this work properly. i would advise against leds in the tail anyway. there isnt enough light dispersion in the light housing. unless you rework the reflectors and do some really custom stuff, you are going to get hotspots. you do a custom led board (which would also look like azz)
Old 05-23-2005, 09:18 AM

haha very funny, but i have looked at the bulb housing, hence the reason i asked about these specific bulbs. SO if you look at that pic there are bulbs that shoot out the top AND SIDE. i dont want a custom led board that is gay youre right. but i just want brighter tails thats all.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:35 AM

....How about different tail lights?
Old 05-23-2005, 09:38 AM

lol, well $5 is easier than totally changin my tails....

i like the tails of our maxima, just want them brighter.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
a custom led board that is gay
yea, a custom led board would be conducive to homosexual tendencies huh? thumbs down for being ignorant.

you would really need something like this to make it work:

even though you have a few leds around the side of the bulb, its still going to look jacked up. you are still going to have 95% of the light projecting forward from the bulb, which would be to the side of the tail light housing. in my opinion, its going to look terrible. i havent tried it firsthand.. so like you said, try it out and prove me wrong.

if all you want is brighter tails.. a custom led board would probably be your best bet. not g35-like though (bleh). you would most likely have to solder up a board chock FULL of individual wide-angle LEDs and just hope that the light is dispersed enough through the clear inverted cones to get enough coverage. then again, you wouldnt want anyone to question your sexuality with something like this, so....

simply put, our tails were designed with filaments in mind. i would suggest keeping them that way. kudos to you for trying something new though.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:51 AM

im sorry..but "thumbs down for being ignorant".. is that directed at me? how am i being ignorant? because i said gay instead of azzzz? i dont think sexuality was ever brought up in this and gay is a loose term now a days anyway....so if you are gay, im sorry if i offended you.
i think ill just stick with what i got.
Old 05-23-2005, 10:00 AM

i didnt intend to spread hate on your thread..

not that my sexuality matters.. but no, im not gay. but it is an offensive term to those who are and you need to recognize that. thats all.

that being said, i would stick with bulbs.. but at $5 a pop, why not at least try it, right? worst case scenario.. they dont look good and you pass them off to your friends or someone else who might be able to use them.