3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I'm At The End Of The Line.

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2005, 07:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I'm At The End Of The Line.

Back in the first week in april I found out that my engine was running on 5 cylinders and my 5 speed tranny was shot. I decided to do the whole swap (tranny and engine). Being that I bought the car for cheap, I thought that buy doing the swap that my budget for the car wouldn't be bad. Boy, I was wrong. Check this out. I went to a friend that owns a junkyard, I bought the engine and tranny for $1200. Went to the mechanic, he was charging me for the swap $700. I thought hey thats not bad $1900 for the hole job, so I did it. What happend next is the killer. Once the mechanic put the engine he calls me up like 2 weeks later and tells me that the engine is bad and no compression and wouldn't start and the mech felt bad so he charged me for the install $550 and to put the other engine $500. So I had to call my friend and tell him about the engine. So he got me another engine. The mech put that one on. I got the car last week and the car was leaking oil by the crank so I took it back the the mech. On may, 25 I go to the mech and he tell me that theres small crack by the timming chain cover. What to do i'm out now $2400, I'm trayin to get some money back from my friend that sold me the engine. I have no car. no money. I'm at the point to gettin rid of the car. Guys, what to do?....................
Old 05-28-2005, 08:57 AM

I had pretty much the same problem. I decided to do stuff myself to save money. In tulsa i can get an engine for 105 that is already compression checked. Do it yourself, it will suck your first time doing so, but it will be worth it in the long run.
Old 05-28-2005, 09:04 AM
STFU n00b!

you won't get a VE for that much... a VG sure..

my advice on the car is to fix the timing cover problem.. it shouldn't take too much labor to swap the timing cover from one of your other dead engines..
and next time, be sure to inspect the engine much better before purchasing it and paying that kind of cash to have it installed.
Old 05-28-2005, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by furious max
...he tell me that theres small crack by the timming chain cover. What to do ... what to do?...
I have succesfully patched a mazda trannys 2" x 4" hole, with a alu piece & blk [sikaflex]. The alu tranny block never leaked after that. I'd think there are multiple stuffs like that... give it a try: clean, grind, patch, let dry long enough. Depends on location, maybe possible without taking it off? At least that 15$ test will not spoil anythin. DIY, use minidrill grinder: basically question of how/where the crack is, cleanness.

(The end story for that mazda tranny was a -20 acceleration on a icy road, spinning, then clean asphalt, and the end. But sikaflex did not leak.)

Get going: buy old low mile nissan stanza...
Old 05-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Get Off My Lawn

Like said before, inspect engines/tranny's before buying if possible, after receiving absolutely! There is a generic checklist of things before installing a used engine. If a VG, replace timing belt and I would also say waterpump. You should check compression and timing. Check for any cracks or leaks around gaskets. Many recommend to re-torque the heads. Replace any broken exhaust manifold studs, change all belts and oil as well. I would also check injectors and injector harness. Go ahead and give a tuneup with new plugs, rotory button, and distributor too. I don't think these things should just be recommended, but mandatory for any engine swap. To do otherwise is begging for trouble and problems soon down the road. Shame on your mechanic for not doing/recommending these things before. I would recommend going to someone else who isn't in as big a hurry to just "do the job." And now you've had an excellent learning experience as well. Sorry it's cost you this much.
I'm sure others have other things to add and maybe take away from my list.
Old 05-28-2005, 12:50 PM
Way out West

I have all the spare timing chain covers in my garage for a VE. I will sell them to you cheap. They are already off the engine and ready to ship out. I think they will fit in a flat rate box, which is $7.70 for shipping and it will be there in 2-3 days.

It sounds like you are close to getting everything back together. I would just hang in there.
Old 05-28-2005, 01:02 PM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
It sounds like you are close to getting everything back together. I would just hang in there.
I agree. After all that money and being so close to complete, it would be a waste to give up. Cars are cars. They cost money. New or old. Don't toss your investment when you're getting close to seeing the return.
Old 06-09-2005, 10:43 AM

Well the update. I got my car back but I can't drive it because the mech told me that the leak is on some kind of cover under the front head. he said that it might be some kind of the timming chain cover but not sure. he told me that he had a lot of work and that it would take some time and some more money alot more . So he told me if I could find someone that could do it for me for less, that to do it. The crack is about an inch long. but besides that the engine is fine. the dude that sold me the engine told me that he would have put some A & D weld on it and that was it. The mech told me that i should keep the car.
Old 06-09-2005, 12:23 PM

This gets more hilarious, $2400.00 on repairs and the car isn't 100%, well you don't seem to be 100% happy. I just feel bad that you're dumping all this money into an old car which most likely will bring more problems down the road. Hope whatever u decide to do to fix it works and you can be happy with your 3rd gen.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by D-sta
This gets more hilarious, $2400.00 on repairs and the car isn't 100%, well you don't seem to be 100% happy. I just feel bad that you're dumping all this money into an old car which most likely will bring more problems down the road. Hope whatever u decide to do to fix it works and you can be happy with your 3rd gen.
Well if I can get this leak fixed then that sould do it. I got evo rims w/ tires brand new still in plastic, stillen spoiler kit, rear spoiler, sound system. I already put in a warpspeed Y w/magnaflow cat and exhaust, eibach springs, kyb gr2's, and a pro clutch 6 puck clutch. I can't fix the leak then the car is gone. I hope I can do it and make it. Lets see....
Old 06-09-2005, 10:03 PM
Way out West

To do a good job with JB Weld, you would have to take the cover off. You might as well replace it with a good one.

Man, like I said, I have all of the timing chain covers in perfect condition sitting in my garage. If one of yours is cracked, I said I will sell them.
Old 06-11-2005, 07:17 AM

I went to the mech shop with a friend of my cuz. He works on car as well honda, mustang, really good with engines. He checked it out and told me that if what I showed him was the problem that it could be the oil pump cover and it would be a big job. He told me to bring the car to him to make sure. He want to check it out himself. I have to take it to him on tuesday. Let see what happens. Like I said it's been 2 months without a car. I miss the hell out of it.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:24 AM

Originally Posted by furious max
...what happens. Like I said it's been 2 months without a car. I miss the hell out of it.
Like I said buy a cheap commuter for 200$...

Oil pump cover? Hmm. Make sure this guy repairs more than destroys. And u know, its lots more cheaper and fun to destroy the engine uself; I've got experience... b never without u car. Whatever, dont believe one instant expert, get another opinion before dumping money.

You have not yet specified the leak: how much is it leaking? Engine bay full of oil? One drop a week? There are leaks and LEAKS. Take a pic and winch it to cardomain.com for us to see...
Old 06-12-2005, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wiking
Like I said buy a cheap commuter for 200$...

Oil pump cover? Hmm. Make sure this guy repairs more than destroys. And u know, its lots more cheaper and fun to destroy the engine uself; I've got experience... b never without u car. Whatever, dont believe one instant expert, get another opinion before dumping money.

You have not yet specified the leak: how much is it leaking? Engine bay full of oil? One drop a week? There are leaks and LEAKS. Take a pic and winch it to cardomain.com for us to see...
I will see if I can take a pic this week. And I will post it. Thanks you guys for the help.