3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

3rd Gen Gauge Mounting Idea.

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2005, 05:11 PM
Ford Only.

3rd Gen Gauge Mounting Idea.

I was thinking about mounting a new temp and oil pressure gauge. The dummy light just isnt cutting it and my temp gauge only works half the time. I do have my triple pillar deal, but I am having second thoughts about it, I like to be stealth. I was thinking of buying two gauge cups and mounting them on the piece under the steering wheel, one on each side of the wheel. So when you look down the sides of the wheel, you will see them.

Here is where.

Does anyone have the skills to actually mold a pod on each side of the wheel in that spot? I was thinking how it could be done, but I cant think any further, I just thought it would look better than a pod with a bracket.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:30 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I dont know about you, but I think I'd hit my knees on it if it were right there. I think your best bet would be to fiberglass that whole lower piece and add the pods that way if you want it there.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:37 PM

ya, my knees would hit, what if you somehow put them into the dash??? or whatabout in the drink tray or something??? you can push it in and the guages will pop out
Old 06-07-2005, 05:41 PM
Ford Only.

I have pretty long legs. I was driving my car as I thought of this and it doesnt look like it would be a problem as long as it doesnt exceed 3-4" from the dash piece. Go out to your car and check it out and see what you think, that is the first thing I thought also, but I ruled it out, especially if they were mounted nice and flush to the piece.
Old 06-07-2005, 05:55 PM

hey mr. gone, do you have a decent picture of your guague pod??? i think i have the same ones. i need to know where to find the tube for the oil pressure, and how to intertwine it with the oil line.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:55 AM

yea, that is definatly RIGHT where, my knee sits when i drive
Old 06-08-2005, 11:04 AM
Ford Only.

Do you sit way far up eating the steering wheel? the tops of my lower leg are there and around 6" away from that spot. I am going to try and hack up this gauge pod I have here and see if I can mold something up.
Old 06-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Ad·min·is·tra·tor

only problem i see with that is you have to look down to see what's going on. if you really want to get drastic then try gutting out the area where the clock is and one of the AC vents.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:39 PM

Hey if you do go and do the stealth idea... And have a 3 piller pod oin hand that ya wont need... ILL BUY IT! Let me know~ Thanks!
-Ben
Old 06-09-2005, 12:02 AM

The only thing (for me anyway) is that I don't want to avert my eyes downward.
Of course, the easy fix for that is to not look at the gauges while you're driving I guess. But you know you're gonna.
Here's my recent voltage gauge install. I decided to install it in the vent opening right of the wheel. With a little extra fabricating I will add a second one next to it in the same vent.
I chose this location because I wanted to keep the clock where it was and I didn't want pods.

In this picture I Photoshopped the second gauge in to illustrate the completed project.

This is the gauge as it looks now AT NIGHT
Old 06-09-2005, 12:15 AM

I'm with Craig on the knee thing, I just dont think it would work, and he's even taller than I am.

You could modify and fiberglass a pod there and it could look smooth. I just decided to run the pillar instead. Even keeping them in the first din has angle problems.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:13 PM
Get Off My Lawn

My opinion, find out what the problem is the the water temp sensor and FIX IT! It may be the sensor or a loose connection. I have a parted out guage cluster for the max, you think it's the needle/motor? I'll sell you mine and you can replace it! To install another guage for the same thing is like installing a huge RPM guage on your hood. Just illogical IMO. Like already mentioned, there are lots of places to install ONE guage for Oil pressure (or more if you still want the temp or some other reading). I put my A/F guage in place of my non-working clock. Why? Becuase I own a watch AND my stereo has one, AND my Nissan clock (like most others) never worked! You can put it at the vent like already shown or below your radio. You can easily make a bracket out of sheet metal, cut a hole and install it below the radio. Most people who mod consider two things: 1. Form- looks, appearence, or in your case "stealth." 2. Function- ability of something to do/perform in the way it was intended. IMO, if you mount them at your knee, you've killed BOTH. You won't be able to see it and is a hazard due to having to look down to view/read = no function. It will only take one hit and the mount is broke, and such placement does not add to the design or appeal/attractiveness of the interior= no form. Again, my opinion, take it for nothing more. Last thing: Answer this. Are you gaining more from mounting at your knee than you believe you would lose mounting anywhere else (especially on pillar)?
Old 06-09-2005, 06:57 PM
Ford Only.

I would like a little more accurate reading, the gauge doesnt really show you the exact temp, so you cant monitor it fully. I am going to have to brain storm some more, the vent idea is ok, but then you lose all that beautiful A/C as it is now people in the back dont get air, with that vent gone they really wouldnt.
Old 06-09-2005, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
...the vent idea is ok, but then you lose all that beautiful A/C as it is now people in the back dont get air, with that vent gone they really wouldnt.
I hear what you're saying, but then again, with that vent now closed off I am getting more forced air to the back. Similar to when you use the little wheel to shut a vent - more power to the open ones.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:45 PM

install a digital readout where your clock is. then maybe you can re-mount your clock in your guague cluster with your tack, and MPH guague
Old 06-13-2005, 08:41 AM
NWP Engineering.com

I like where my gauges are. But in the future, I will need to add more gauges and I am looking for other spots other than the pillar. The vent idea is a decent one.