3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

rattling only when I go over bumps?

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 07:09 AM

rattling only when I go over bumps?

I have noticed that when I go over speed bumps, small pot holes, or anything that makes my suspension go up and down I hear this rattling comming from my front passengers side wheel. I took the wheel off to see if I could see anything that looked out of place but I didnt. I was thinking that it could be my ball joint but wouldnt it rattle all of the time instead of just when the suspension goes up and down?

what do you think it could be?
Old 06-12-2005, 07:14 AM
"I'm just sayin'..."

Not really enough information for me over the net, but I will try to point you in the right direction. Check these things out for wear/damage: strut mount, control arm bushing, sway bar link, ball joint. As the suspension travels further/faster, there is more of a load on these components. Left alone, it will eventually occur during all driving conditions.
Old 06-12-2005, 07:47 AM

rat-ling = rat offspring ...just let THE cat loose?

- Light sound may be caused from loose/rotten disc brake shield

Leftmost mid- greenish circ area...
Old 06-12-2005, 09:12 AM
mod or sell?

i'd look at the strut mount personally
Old 06-12-2005, 04:08 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

I'd look at the steering rack mount. When it's loose it'll rattle like h3ll on bumps.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:57 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Check everything for wear in that corner and that will tell you. I've been getting rid of assorted clunks in my car for the last year. I'm down to just needing the new exhaust becasue the hanger rusted
Old 06-13-2005, 07:52 AM

check that 3 screws in there for the strut. i replaced mine before and was in such a hurry that i forgot to tighten them...i drove the car and i thought the whole front suspension was going to fall off.
Old 06-13-2005, 08:21 AM

Does it make a difference if you go over a pothole or over a bump? If it only rattles on the potholes, than it's a ball joint. If on the bumps, than it's most likely the bushings, tie rod ends, vinil sleeves of the spring, strut or strut mount.

You have not specified what kind of rattle it is: knocking like heavy hard parts or rattling like a marble in a tin can...
Old 06-13-2005, 02:00 PM

it makes the same noise if its a pot hole or a speed bump. the noise does not sound like a bad bang like its something heavy. I dont really know how to describe the sound. I guess the only good way I could describe the sound would be if you took your knuckle and hit it aginst the drywall in your house like your trying to find a stud. I hear the sound about 3 or 4 times during and after I have hit the bump.
Old 06-13-2005, 02:32 PM

I vote ball joints.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:25 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I hear a clicking noise when turning my steering wheel. I learned that it is about CV joint. How much would that cost to replace? It is a 1994 MAXIMA 5spd se.

p.s.

I just bought the car and it is really well kept, but I think I overpayed it (payed 3000$). What do u think?
Old 06-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

depends on the mileage/condition, 3000 is a pretty damn good price for a VE 5spd in reasonable condition. the cost of replacing the cv joint is dependant on the direction you take it. i'd just buy a new axle and replace the whole thing, you can get them new for 80 bucks. takes about 30 min to an hour to replace.

i have a similar problem myself, not really worth a whole new thread: i get a clunk (drivers side, feel it with my feet and hear it) only when my wheel is turned left. when its turned right i never get a clunk, it occurs most noticeably going over bumps. strut mount? why only when turned left?
i just replaced the axle and ball joint.
thanks
tom
Old 06-13-2005, 06:40 PM
Moved on to BMW's :(

Originally Posted by klanjsek

p.s.

I just bought the car and it is really well kept, but I think I overpayed it (payed 3000$). What do u think?
See also: "Hi-jacking a thread."

I'm still guessing "Steering rack loose." Will you please let us know when you find out?
Old 06-14-2005, 07:39 AM

yeah for sure I will post when I find out what it is. it might be a little while because I am moving again back to kentucky so after I get the move all done and Im in my new place then I will have more time to check it out further.
Old 06-14-2005, 08:45 AM

After i replaced my ball joints, rear shocks and tie rod ends, the ride is as smooth as ever.
Old 06-14-2005, 11:18 AM

Several dull knocks? Hmm, sounds like a strut to me. Are your struts completely dead?
Old 06-14-2005, 12:42 PM

no they should be new. I know that there not original. I just got the car not to long ago.
Old 06-14-2005, 06:31 PM
94c Big Max

check all of your rubber parts for the rottenned ones, esp the control arm & sway bar joints.
Old 06-16-2005, 08:38 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

HELP, PLEASE.

Sorry for piggybacking this thread; the current mod rules don't allow new users to post new threads until they've got 15 messages on file, and for a newbie who hasn't donated yet, searches aren't enabled either.

DASH RATTLE... I'm plagued by a moderate buzz/rattle somewhere around the glove box; it's not a persistant noise, but one that's activated by a bump or rough road. Basically, it's a minor vibration, a loose screw or a piece of ill-fitting panel.

I'm driving around with my right hand on various parts of the dash and glovebox assembly, trying to affect it, and I can't--nothing I do seems to alter the noise. You'd think it was buried deep, but I swear, it sounds like it's right on the surface. But I CAN'T FIND IT.

Anyone dealt with this succesfully? Any good links?

I've seen FAQs describing how to get into the central dash console, but how about the glovebox area?

THANKS.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:55 AM

i had that once, but it actually went away after a few days on its own accord.

the glove box is much easier than the dash. just open the lid, you will see screws around the perimeter, inside. remove those screws and the whole glovebox comes out as a unit, iirc.
tom
Old 06-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Thanks. I'll definitely tear into the glovebox ASAP. Any clues as to what I might find? What I should look for? I have some foam tape... not that I'm sure what to do with it...
Old 06-16-2005, 11:59 AM

well... i think the AC blower is directly behind it, thats one culprit. once you remove the box, see if you can pinpoint the noise.
Old 06-16-2005, 07:27 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

Originally Posted by maximaboi
no they should be new. I know that there not original. I just got the car not to long ago.
the car has brand new monroe senstrac struts on the original suspension when you bought it. hows it goin by the way ? got any new pics of her ? you may want to check the ball joints as i never had to replace them so they may be as old as the car for all i know. the strut mounts looked ok to me when the struts were installed. shoot me an email with any more questions i can probably answer them best since i had the car for so long id know any creak it makes. good luck !
Old 06-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally Posted by Minty91GXE
well... i think the AC blower is directly behind it, thats one culprit. once you remove the box, see if you can pinpoint the noise.
Alrighty. So I pulled the glovebox out, secured and padded every contact point on it, checked the blower assembly for any obvious noodling (didn't find any), and replaced the box.

Took a spin; the chatter remained.

The good news: while driving along, I think I pinpointed the source. If I mash my hand hard against the molded top-dash cover (not sure what you call it), just above and to the right of the right-center vent, I can deaden or control the rattle.

Question... what's in that vicinity, and how do I access it? Can this big dash cover be removed (easily, that is)? Suggestions?
Old 06-17-2005, 06:11 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
the car has brand new monroe senstrac struts on the original suspension when you bought it. hows it goin by the way ? got any new pics of her ? you may want to check the ball joints as i never had to replace them so they may be as old as the car for all i know. the strut mounts looked ok to me when the struts were installed. shoot me an email with any more questions i can probably answer them best since i had the car for so long id know any creak it makes. good luck !

thanks. Im thinking that its prob the ball joint if your saying that you never had any replaced.

for the past 2 days now I have been having issues with it starting up. it will start up just fine and the RPMs will go to about 1,200 but then when the RPMs go to idel just as soon as I turn it on it will die. I have to give it a little bit of gas to get the RPMs up to about 2k and keep it there for about a minute then when I let off of the gas it will idel fine. I was thinking it was the fuel pump or the alarm messing up.

I looked under the hood and one of the rubber hoses that connects the fuel rales on the passengers side was leaking a little gas. the screw that holds the clamp tight was loose so I tightened it up and have not had a problem starting it after that (its only been about a day now)

I guess I should be emailing you this but ooh well lol. I just wanted to know if this has happened to you before or not I guess. no I dont have any new pics of the car right now but I will have some soon.

BTW there was some rust in the wheel well that I found but there was none up in the area of the seat belt. I know that you didnt know about it because I had to take off the rubber undercoating to get to the rust. I got all of the rust out and patched the holes all up and you would never be able to tell that it was ever worked on.
Old 06-18-2005, 06:18 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

glad to see its being taken care of. as far as the starting issue that must have managed to break after i sold her cause ive never ever had a starting or running problem with her. sounds like you found the problem fast though great job ! as far as the rust goes i never noticed it but im glad it got fixed !
Old 06-19-2005, 04:24 PM

lokstah - you dont seem to be able to receive private messages. since these guys seem to have resolved their issues, i will muck up their thread without remorse.

there is 1 quick possible answer. the window vents, where the glass meets the dash, the long skinny vents, can come loose. they only pop in and out and arent held in any way. there are also bolts behind them.

here is a picture of the max with the dash off. as you can see there is not much in that area... just a duct tube and some wires:

good luck
tom
Old 06-19-2005, 10:03 PM

Uhh, why is your dashboard missing?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by maxitech
Uhh, why is your dashboard missing?
it's a racecar silly, it's to reduce weight