3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

I cleaned my engine and my tranny was strange...

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2001, 02:43 PM
Ford Only.

So last weekend I cleaned my engine.And I mean cleaned it good 3 cans of gunk.Then I rinsed the hell out of it.Nothing I havent done before I usually wash my motor about every 2-3 weeks.But this time I got in it to drive around the block to get most of the water off.And my tranny wouldnt shift and then when it finally did it slammed hard into gear.And after the shift reved like it was in neutral.So I get home park and look under the hood and connectors and check to make sure everything was Ok.Got back in the car drove around the block and it shifted like new.Anyone know what happened here?
Old 05-18-2001, 03:24 PM

Originally posted by dmontzmax
So last weekend I cleaned my engine.And I mean cleaned it good 3 cans of gunk.Then I rinsed the hell out of it.Nothing I havent done before I usually wash my motor about every 2-3 weeks.But this time I got in it to drive around the block to get most of the water off.And my tranny wouldnt shift and then when it finally did it slammed hard into gear.And after the shift reved like it was in neutral.So I get home park and look under the hood and connectors and check to make sure everything was Ok.Got back in the car drove around the block and it shifted like new.Anyone know what happened here?
If its fine now...Dont worry!
Old 05-18-2001, 03:31 PM
Ford Only.

Thanks for your confidence,But I was just worried.I guess it is safe now.I was thinking maybe because the engine and the tranny were so cold and wet it was causing it to run funny.But I will definately be worried if it happens again.
Old 05-18-2001, 03:56 PM

Re:

Sometimes the tranny does weird things like that, the computer either gets a wrong reading or something, but if it's good now, chances are it's nothing, especially if you change the ATF often and don't drive hard
Old 05-21-2001, 06:34 AM

Stick or Auto....

Originally posted by dmontzmax
If you have a stick then I would say the clutch was wet but I noticed your profile says shift kit leading me to think you have an auto. Chances are you got some connectors wet which caused phaucked up readings and caused the shifting problem until it dried up. Be careful when washing your engine because one day it may cause a problem that cannot be fixed.
Old 05-28-2001, 05:50 PM

Re: Stick or Auto....

Not good to short out computer, sensors nor to cold shock the engine, injector, etc. Be happy that you didn't warp any parts or blow a circuit.