3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

idle woes

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2005, 12:26 AM

idle woes

before I start, idle problems have got to be quite the problem around here, I've seen many threads asking about it. I think I know whats causing my problems, but here are my symptoms, tell me what you think!

My car will stall or idle very low (100-200 rpm?) when turning with the clutch engaged or in neutral. This does not happen every time, it's completely random. The air conditioning does not affect the problem. It seems the more I turn the steering wheel, the more likely it is to happen.

I was led to believe this was due to my faulty power steering pump and rack, but I guess I was wrong. Now, my car also goes *putt putt* on the exhaust side. I do have an exhaust leak, but its nothing major. It just sounds like a fart when it happens. The exhaust leak doesn't always make noise. Now a few weeks ago, I noticed my car lose a tremendous amount of power for 2 minutes. It was DEFINATELY a fuel injector. Thats the only way I can ever tell if one is going out. BUT if one is on its way out, can it screw with my idle and cause my car to stall like what is happening now?

My car will sometimes have a rough buzzing idle, and other times quiet as can be. Now, when I'm accelerating my car does feel like it's lost *****, but it does not have a viberation to it (like when a fuel injector goes out really bad and no matter how much you screw around with your rpms, it feels like it has something caught in its throat (if it had a throat)). I guess you can say its like, someone is pushing my car in the opposite direction, and the car just keeps on chugging. I'm going to replace fuel injectors but I really need to know if this is whats causing it. I mean, its so bizarre how when i am turning the car comes close to stalling. thats my biggest issue, the car coming close to stalling and the buzzing // viberating idle
Old 06-21-2005, 02:54 AM

Points to several problems. What fixes have u tried?

How many miles on fuel injectors? Suggest cleaner before swap - lots easier if it happens to help.

Try fixing some:
Knock sensor dying. Ignition maintenance. Fuel pump dying. Steering fluid press switch bad. Groundings bad. Connectors oxidized. etc. etc.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:03 AM

O_O thanks, all of those I shall try in two days.
Old 06-21-2005, 03:27 AM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
O_O thanks, all of those I shall try in two days.
- For dying Knock sensor: rent/buy from autozone the nissan consult -testtool and test drive -or- try bypass resistor: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/9 (If KS is bad, ignition retards some 10 degrees =real pwr loss, possibly intermittent)

- Ignition maintenance: VG/VE??? for VG new wires, cap, for VE new coilpacks.

- Fuel pump dying: get a gauge to check pressure.

- Steering fluid press switch bad: take belt off -or- bypass switch with a short wire to test if any problem lies there.

- Groundings bad. Connectors oxidized. etc. etc.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/10
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/14
Old 06-21-2005, 03:30 AM

WOW!! thank you so much wiking. Now I can troubleshoot all those. I was reading through my chiltons and it just wasn't showing most of the stuff you mentioned. I'm in the process of getting an FSM, but until then this chiltons that i accidently bought will have to do. I can't thank you enough for giving me ways to test this out

Edit: BTW, I have a VE...
Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by kiyakerz
... I'm in the process of getting an FSM, but until then ...
--->process: see the links on my cardomin page. -94 manual is 99% ok.