3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

engine misfire

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2005, 06:13 PM

engine misfire

for a while no i have noticed when i start my car i notice a vibration in my car and a putt putt putt sound coming from my exhaust could this be an engine misfire and if so what could be causing it? maybe bad o2 sensor, or injector. cause i notice sometimes in order to really accelerate i have to really press the gas hard and sometimes the car while jerk really hard into the next gear. also when im driving i hear a tick tick tick sound from the engine. i changed my spark plugs recently to the ngk but ths problem was happening way before that. so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 06-25-2005, 06:41 PM

I got the same problem too. All u have to do is disconnect the spark plug cable one by one while looking for vibration of the engine. If u disconnected one of the spark plug cable and u see vibration that mean that cylinder is working.And do the samething to the rest. good luck
Old 06-25-2005, 06:52 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

tick tick = maybe(probably) VTC's
as for the sluggishness i would say it sounds like it maybe a coilpack when mine get damp they cause something like what you are describing. whats your gas millage like? when my o2 sensor went bad i had poor throttle response and my gas mileage took a nose dive.
Old 06-25-2005, 07:03 PM

excuse my ignorance but what is vtc and coil packs and where are these located and is it a d.i.y. type job to replace and how much $$$$$$$$? also if i pull a spark plug cable and there is no vibrations what dos that mean , do i have to replace that injector?
Old 06-25-2005, 08:04 PM
mod or sell?

ok, let me clear up a few things
1. you have a 91 GXE which means no VTC and no coil packs.
2. when you pull a spark plug wire any cylinder which is working correctly the cars idle will get worse.
however before you go blaming the injectors (which it probably is) check your wires resistance, check your cap and rotor for wear and corosion.
there are a few possibilities that need to be checked well before you throw money at the car.
Old 06-25-2005, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you have a 91 GXE which means no VTC and no coil packs.
doh! i didn't read his info box my bad, so yeah what internet said is right.
Old 06-25-2005, 10:09 PM

hi,

first off the ticking sound could be coming from the tensioner spring,

if you listen to the side of the engine and hear a tick then it is the spring,
Old 06-25-2005, 11:39 PM

mine does the same thing. I did the checks though and listened to the injectors with a s***hoscope with a wooden dowel attached. One of my injectors is not working like the others, so it may be your problem too.

EDIT: why is the word t-e-t censored?
Old 06-25-2005, 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by maximagxe90
...first off the ticking sound could be coming from the tensioner spring,...
And what is that?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hydraulic valve lifters are noisy if oil pressure is not adequate. That might be from oil goo in the channels/lifters and/or wrong oil filter. Cleanup, filter change might help if theyre not worn. See stickies for proper filter... If the noise is still constant after that, I'd try some of the snake oils to shift valve lifter overhaul further.

If the stutter is only cold, ignition CAP and/or TPS is high on the list. The already mentioned cap: Unseen Cracks in the cap lets moist to park in there, causes shorts and thus varying intermittent stutter until warmed up [note: even new caps may be dead]. Later dirt causes the shorting to be constant.

Btw. If you have the carbonsoot hoses instead of ign wires, stutter is guaranteed ...to have perfect spark, DIY REAL wires are needed. (NGK has wire set containing one [eh, possibly] connected wire...)

Worst case is seen as follows, when all soot has vanished from your so called "wires", and your sparks have to jump via air...
clic on: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/12

A/T uses TPS always, and as your gearchange is bad, I'd suggest a look into the TPS. Measure&Clean :

clic on: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/6