3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Engine Ideas

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2005, 07:16 PM

Engine Ideas

What's up errrybody???? I was looking for some insight and advice about my car, and thought wait a second.....why not ask the org. Hmmmmm. haha So anyway here goes. I just bought a VE5 a few months back with a bad engine (pistons hitting valves and whatnot). I ripped that one out and found an allright deal on a yard engine and put it in so I could start drivin the thing. Now I have a spare VE engine lying around and I am looking to build it up a lil. I already have some ideas on what I will do and what exactly Im looking for but I wanted some help from everybody here and especially from the people that have overhauled their VE before.

First of all, let me say this.......Im just looking for a VE that will put out respectable perormance, you know nothing crazy. I would love to go turbo, but I have to think about the furture too. The odds of me turboing the engine are fairly small, but I need to build the engine accordingly. For instance I dont want to build for N/A now and then slap a turbo on later, cause I wont get the kind of results I would if the engine were built for forced induction. This is all obvious to anybody with engine knowledge, And of course it is all if the engine doesnt just melt or blow up before getting to see the results. Ultimately, what I decided to do is just build for N/A. A pretty nice setup for N/A, lets put it that way.

I already plan on a P&P job on the heads and the intake and all, and an angle job on the valves if I can, but my main question was about the internal-internals I guess you could say. I was wondering what my options are for pistons and oversizing. I heard a while back that Nissan sells oversized pistons for a not so bad price considering its stealership pricing, but they werent oversized by much (40 thousanths I think at the most-----I really cant remember so dont make fun of me too much). I was just looking for yous guys and gals thoughts on the subject.

Like I said before Im just looking for a considerably quicker that stock and common bolt-on (ie. CAI, UDP, etc.) VE. I will be replacing all non-reusable parts when I do the rebuild (ie, reusable PS pump, or alt, and things of that nature....compared to replacing water pump and whatnot of that nature), but I do intend to include an UDP and CAI and bolt-ons of that nature to the rebuild. Rather than have an internally built motor with stock intake and all.

So If anybody or errrybody can help shed some light on my troubles I would appreciate it. Thanks

EDIT:----Sorry its such a long post--------------
Old 06-30-2005, 02:08 PM

To be quite honest...there's not too much stuff offered for a VE motor out there. I honestly can't ever recall seeing aftermarket pistons for it. And JWT only has ECU for that motor.

But that's not saying a good overhaul wouldn't bring a few ponies back. Especially if you put all new bearings, pistons, and rings. As well as the port and polish.

Also, I haven't really taken a look, so I don't know if this would apply. But adding a baffle to the oil pan might help
Old 06-30-2005, 03:18 PM

Yeah, I know that there isnt much out there performance wise for the VE, unfortunately, but like I said, its laying around and its gettin rebuilt either way.

On the other hand, the baffle idea sounds not too bad though. Ill have to do some more research on that to see if it could benefit the VE. Thanks

Anymore ideas out there
Old 06-30-2005, 05:33 PM

i too will be rebuilding a VE soon, so let me know what you come up with. I Plan on turning my 93 GXE VG Auto to A VE 5 speed. Lots Of Work.

Chris
Old 06-30-2005, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by Magik93Maxima
i too will be rebuilding a VE soon, so let me know what you come up with. I Plan on turning my 93 GXE VG Auto to A VE 5 speed. Lots Of Work.

Chris
wow, have fun with that one, I think that a VQ35DE would be a swap that wouldn't be that much harder, and gain a h*ll of a lot more...
Old 06-30-2005, 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by twinkle
wow, have fun with that one, I think that a VQ35DE would be a swap that wouldn't be that much harder, and gain a h*ll of a lot more...

Good Idea, But, I Don't Have A Spare VQ35 Laying Around.. LOL

Chris
Old 06-30-2005, 09:33 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

quite honestly there is very little room for improvment on the ve the stock heads flow great and it has fairly high compression stock

with the amount of money youd end up spending on parts to rebiuld the thing youd be very close to a turbo but youd be no were near the power increase of the turbo

in my opinion its pointless but dont let me discourage you

remember you can use any pistons and rods avalible for the VG30DE(TT) so that will give you some options but thats about all thats interchangable and there still not cheap
Old 06-30-2005, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by subs1000w
......remember you can use any pistons and rods avalible for the VG30DE(TT) so that will give you some options but thats about all thats interchangable and there still not cheap
So your saying that I can basically put in pistons and rods from a 300ZXTT and theyll fit and produce respectable performance??????

See I was thinking of that but then I thought that cause theyre out of a turbo engine that they would be less compression as the stock VE pistons, and if I didnt turbo the engine in the long run then it would just be a VE with lower compression, which wouldnt be. Does that sound right???????

I know I should be turboing it, but like I said its too up in the air to build the motor for it. But maybe I should be askin a question to the turbo VE guys. How hard was it to turbo the VE and hows the performance?????

Keep em coming everybody......Im appreciating the insight
Old 06-30-2005, 09:50 PM

What ends up happening to the stroke if you use the pistons and rods out of the VG30DETT????

Because since it's a TT setup, the compression should be lower to deal with all that forced air. Not saying it could be a bad idea... just doesn't quite make sense. If you're going for a NA setup, you'll want a higher compression.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:07 PM

VG30DE/VG30DETT use the same specs on the pistons and rods. Rods are the same lenght, journals are the same diameter, etc. Bore and stroke are the same.

The VG30DE (NA Z32 300zx) uses 10.5:1 CR pistons which is the most cost effective upgrade.

then pretty much everything Matt (subs) said.

Also IMHO a y-pipe nets much better gains than a CAI, I would do the y-pipe first. Also if it is in your budget throw a fidanza (flywheel) on.

fwiw, I have 10.5:1 cr pistons and a spare new fidanza I'm not going to use, PM me if you are interested.
Old 06-30-2005, 10:12 PM

So what happens to your compression if you dump the pistons & rods into a VE30DE motor? Does it stay the same as VG30DE motor, or is there some gain in compression ratio?
Old 06-30-2005, 10:29 PM

IIRC the combustion chambers and deck height are pretty much the same size (might need someone to verify though, not completely sure). should have a 10.5:1 cr motor, if the VE heads are smaller, then it will have a higher CR
Old 06-30-2005, 10:55 PM

It would be worth it if the CR did increase. Otherwise, all you end up with is another set of rods & pistons.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
It would be worth it if the CR did increase. Otherwise, all you end up with is another set of rods & pistons.
there is a good difference between 10:1 VE pistons and NA 300zx 10.5:1 pistons

I'll see if I can snap some pics tommarrow. I'm not sure if I still have my spare VE pistons though
Old 06-30-2005, 11:07 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by subs1000w
quite honestly there is very little room for improvment on the ve the stock heads flow great and it has fairly high compression stock

with the amount of money youd end up spending on parts to rebiuld the thing youd be very close to a turbo but youd be no were near the power increase of the turbo

in my opinion its pointless but dont let me discourage you

remember you can use any pistons and rods avalible for the VG30DE(TT) so that will give you some options but thats about all thats interchangable and there still not cheap
I am definitely going to have to go with subs on this one.

If you want to build your engine up correctly, you are going to spend a lot of money on parts, the machine work and all of the time to assemble it. You might be in for maybe 20 hp more than stock. A 50 shot of nitrous defeats all of that extra work.

If you have a good running VE in there now, just spend the money on turbo or nitrous and call it done. I am not saying don't do it, but just consider the hp/cost factor.

As for doing a GXE at swap with a VE 5-speed -- you have far too much time on your hands. That is a LOT of labor time working just to have something you could buy for around $2k-$3k dollars. I would just sell everything you have and start over with a real VE 5-speed.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:08 PM
Way out West

Originally Posted by MrGone
there is a good difference between 10:1 VE pistons and NA 300zx 10.5:1 pistons

I'll see if I can snap some pics tommarrow. I'm not sure if I still have my spare VE pistons though
You missed out. I had a set from my spare engine, but sold them.
Old 06-30-2005, 11:25 PM

Originally Posted by Red92MaxSE
You missed out. I had a set from my spare engine, but sold them.
I loaned mine to my of a friend, then decided to throw all my stuff away.

Old 07-01-2005, 08:22 AM

As for doing a GXE at swap with a VE 5-speed -- you have far too much time on your hands. That is a LOT of labor time working just to have something you could buy for around $2k-$3k dollars. I would just sell everything you have and start over with a real VE 5-speed.

Time Isnt Really A Factor, I Could Do The 5 speed Swap in a 3 or 4 day weekend. and the engine rebuild I Can Do in a Few Days. As far as swaping the VG30E with The VE30DE, It Shouldnt take but a few days too. We are talking about a week and a half tops. But I Wouldnt Do It All At Once. Just Spread It Out And Have Fun. But Just for sh*ts and Giggles, does anyone have the piston size, bore stroke,etc of the VQ35DE? I Might Want To Try Something...

Chris
Old 07-01-2005, 08:23 AM

does anyone have the piston size, bore stroke,etc of the VQ35DE? I Might Want To Try Something...
yes

no, it wont work
Old 07-01-2005, 08:52 AM
I'm needing a caw

You must have done alot of these right?

Time Isnt Really A Factor, I Could Do The 5 speed Swap in a 3 or 4 day weekend. and the engine rebuild I Can Do in a Few Days. As far as swaping the VG30E with The VE30DE, It Shouldnt take but a few days too. We are talking about a week and a half tops.
Chris
Old 07-01-2005, 09:01 AM

Here's a good question. What's the stroke of the stock VG30DE pistons, compared to the ones from JWT?

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/cus...asp?PartID=347

I've been thinking about getting these for when I build up a spare engine
Old 07-01-2005, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by kcidmil
What ends up happening to the stroke if you use the pistons and rods out of the VG30DETT????

Because since it's a TT setup, the compression should be lower to deal with all that forced air. Not saying it could be a bad idea... just doesn't quite make sense. If you're going for a NA setup, you'll want a higher compression.
thats what Im tryin to say........I dont want a higher compression for turbo, but I do for N/A, and if I build for N/A now then turbo it later I wont get good performance.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:18 PM

I am definitely going to have to go with subs on this one.

If you want to build your engine up correctly, you are going to spend a lot of money on parts, the machine work and all of the time to assemble it. You might be in for maybe 20 hp more than stock. A 50 shot of nitrous defeats all of that extra work.

If you have a good running VE in there now, just spend the money on turbo or nitrous and call it done. I am not saying don't do it, but just consider the hp/cost factor.
Yeah Im ready for the expense part. But I mave a friend that does machine work, and Ill be assembling the engine myself. I can get discounted parts through work from the dealer and whatnot so...

The problem is that the engine in there now isnt really all that great and if I were to put time and money into a turbo setup then Ill probably blow it up 10 mins after the first start. The engine runs allright now (knock, knock, knock) cause its stock, but I dont think itll work well with boost.

However I did say that I would like to turbo, but Im not sure of how to on the VE. Would I be using the same exhaust manifolds as the VG turbo setuo from a 300zx??? or would it have to be all custom???? If I can find out and it actually seems worth it and possible to me then maybe Ill go that route.