3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Injector connectors causing intermitent miss...

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2001, 03:41 AM

hi all,
I've read a few posts on here about that rather annoying little miss that our engines seem to have, and although i'm sure other ppl have noticed this, I may have a fix for a contributing factor.... I was sitting there 1 day with the engine idling away, ****ing around ander the bonnet as u do, and i noticed that 1 of the little rubber boots over the electrical connectors for the fuel injectors was cracked, so had a closer look and saw that the connector was actually corroded, obviously the boot has been naffed for a while, and just my touching the boot made the engine miss. A quick check revealed all 6 boots were stuffed. After pulling off all 6 connectors, cleaning off the corrosion, ans CRC'ing the whole thing, along with some electrical tape to seal the cracked boots, i now notice the miss has almost entirely disappeared. Another i found that was making my engine miss at idle was a pin-hole leak in a heater hose. No water was coming out, but air was getting in, enough at idle to produce bubbles in the auxiliary air valve, which told the computer to lean out the engine, then when the bubble moved on, it would enrichen the mix, making the engine surge 500 rpm for a second. This was only something that happened at idle, under load was not a problem.... So anyway, moral of the story, if u have a what u think is a bad miss at idle, check ur connectors and hoses!
Old 05-22-2001, 10:18 PM

I had the same problem and I had the same fix

I had the same problem with the injector harness boots being cracked and the car all of a sudden missing and hesitating. Well I myself tried to use elctrical tape to seal them off and it worked fine for a day until it started again. Well I desided to have my mechanic look at it and we were actually thinking of replacing them, but they are ****ing expensive. As luck would ahve it, Nissan harnesses cost $35 each!!!!! My mechanic said that the rubber boots being cracked had nothing to do with the hesitation, and that it didn't matter if the wires underneath where exposed. So he just disconnected them and cleaned them out with crc lub or whatever it is. Now the car runs great!! You need to understand that those harnesses are under extreme heat and they get corrotion and **** like the kind on your battery terminals. Just clean them and enjoy the ride.

Kevin
Old 05-23-2001, 07:27 AM

Mechanics Only Want Your Money!!! They Omit This The Following :

I'm having the same problem. My mechanic wanted me to relpace 2 Injectors and 6 Injector Connectors. Now, That would've cost me about $350 w/Labor. Pfft...

BUT! Check this out... Nissan had a recall on the injectors for model years '87 thru '90. So if you fall within those years, you've got free service at any Nissan Dealer!

Enjoy!

-BeatJunky!