3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

superchargered maximas

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2005, 10:28 PM

superchargered maximas

are there many supercharged 3rd gens out there? if so, what kind of supercharger is used and how much work/money would it be to do that sort of thing?
Old 07-23-2005, 11:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

none, and if you have to ask, you probably shouldn't bother
Old 07-24-2005, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by MrGone
none, and if you have to ask, you probably should bother
this is the kind of negativity that immediately struck me when i first came to this forum. but i got used to it...

maybe that's why there ain't new stuff happening to our cars around here.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:44 AM

Originally Posted by Maxzilla91
...why there ain't new stuff happening to our cars around here.
Generally: Realist answers cannot hinder ppl from educatin, testing themselves: Too many forums keep alive the 12V propellerturbo salesmen... (not this thread).
Old 07-24-2005, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Maxzilla91
this is the kind of negativity that immediately struck me when i first came to this forum. but i got used to it...

maybe that's why there ain't new stuff happening to our cars around here.
This question is asked at minimum once a month, combined with the engine swap threads and turbo threads.

If someone wants to supercharge their 3rd gen then they will. The fact that no one does is because most 3rd genners lack money and the skill to do so. Those that do are working on or have some kind of power adding project, and you will never see those members post how/what/why/where/blah, atleast not in a general sense. They research on their own and just put their nose to the grind stone and 'git er done'.

All of the info is on this site, you just have to search. They even have a poor mans search, although it is not nearly as good as the built in one.
Old 07-24-2005, 04:44 AM
Im izz sexay

On cardomain there is one third gen maxima that is s/c'd.
Old 07-24-2005, 05:15 AM
mod or sell?

you have a GXE, it'd be easier to just turbo it.
there's even a guide to doing it posted somewhere within these forums and cardomain
Old 07-24-2005, 06:04 AM

mtcookson is the guy to ask if you wanna look into turbo. try to find his cardomain lots of stuff. i believe 1992maxman (something like that) used to be on the .org and had a supercharger project but i dont think he has his 3rd gen anymore
Old 07-24-2005, 07:08 AM

Also about the turbo/SC questions ther eis a forced induction board with every bit of info you owuld need pretty much in the stickies also if ou searched google at all there is a like turbomaxima.com or something like that.but eyah turbo on a gxe is way easier and cheaper then a custom s/c setup

BJ white
Old 07-24-2005, 08:12 AM

HERE IS ONE!
Old 07-24-2005, 08:15 AM

Originally Posted by VG Ridah
On cardomain there is one third gen maxima that is s/c'd.
Yeah...I wish I could find that again, because I thought his setup was pretty ingenious
Old 07-24-2005, 09:13 AM
Way out West

Originally Posted by internetautomar
you have a GXE, it'd be easier to just turbo it.
there's even a guide to doing it posted somewhere within these forums and cardomain
This is the best answer. If you have a GXE, a lot of the parts you need are floating out there in the form of a z31 turbo. The rest you are going to have to fabricate or have someone fabricate for you.

Like MrGone said, if you have to ask questions (especially on this board), you probably aren't skilled enough to do the job yourself. You should either know the answers or have a mechanic/fabricator close by that can work with you and answer your questions.

Any kind of FI on a 3rd gen requires custom fabrication, there is just no way around it. There are no kits or bolt ons that will work.
Old 07-24-2005, 10:19 AM

thanks for the help. it's just that, i think i'm going to be keeping this car for a while, and would like to make it a bit faster. I will look around for the stuff.
Old 07-24-2005, 12:10 PM

turboantor - werd
Old 07-24-2005, 05:37 PM
Maxima of the Month Dec. 07

I think this is the cardomain that everyone is talking about- http://www.cardomain.com/ride/304102
Old 07-24-2005, 06:26 PM

Yeah...I wish I could find that again, because I thought his setup was pretty ingenious
actually, it was kind of a bad idea. he did an awesome job putting it together but the way a turbo works it would be next to impossible to make work running on a belt. turbos spin in excess of 100,000 rpm and centrifgual s/c's in the 30,000's to 40,000's or so. basically, it wouldn't have made much boost nor would have been as efficient as running a regular turbo setup. if he had used a true centrifugal s/c it would have worked much better but that leads me to the next thing.

turbochargers are superior to superchargers in nearly every way. the compressors are more efficient (some centrifugal s/c compressors are more efficient than turbos but turbos are way more efficient in making the power simply due to being hooked up to the exhaust. superchargers take quite a bit of power from the engine since they're running from the crank of the engine on a belt.

with newer turbo technology lag is nearly eliminated making the reason to not run a turbo due to lag a moot point. granted you won't have boost as fast as a positive displacement s/c it'll be damn fast. centrifugal s/c's have lag.

turbos don't produce as much compressor heat and are easier to aftercool than a positive displacement supercharger.

once a turbo spools it keeps full boost to redline. positive displacement s/c's will sometimes lose boost up high. centrifugal s/c's don't reach full boost till redline.

basically what i'm getting at, as i said before, turbochargers are simply the way to go.
Old 07-24-2005, 06:53 PM
I'm nutty for Nissans

i have seen that car long ago. he wanted to mount it to the chassis..... that was when it started to go down hill. good effort, but dice. comon no oil lines, flimsy boost pipes, and a belt driven turbo compressor? ehhhh.
Old 07-25-2005, 08:53 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by mtcookson
turbochargers are superior to superchargers in nearly every way. the compressors are more efficient
I was having an argument with a friend about this because I remember you said this in a previose thread. Then he was like, "if they are more superior, then why do all those Merc 55's decide to use s/cers?" I really couldn't give him an answer on that, cause those things are just as fast as their 600 counterparts that come twin turbo.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:22 AM
mod or sell?

an S/C is effecient at low RPMS and consistent across the entire RPM band which also means that at higher RPM they become a hinderance.

a turbo is the opposite, the faster it spins the more power it makes, (up until the point where you chose too small a turbo)
yes that's an oversimplification (extremely)
I plan on doing TT on the camaro anyhow
the teg is gonna get a single T
Old 07-25-2005, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
I was having an argument with a friend about this because I remember you said this in a previose thread. Then he was like, "if they are more superior, then why do all those Merc 55's decide to use s/cers?" I really couldn't give him an answer on that, cause those things are just as fast as their 600 counterparts that come twin turbo.
my best guess would be reliability since superchargers would be more reliable for most people than a turbo (this is simply due to turbochargers needing to be cooled off before the car is shut off, which i'm sure most people wouldn't due unless they had a turbo timer and i bet they wouldn't put one of those on a car stock).

something interesting to note is that the turbo version of the mercedes mentioned has more low end torque than the supercharger does.

another thing to note is that the very powerful vehicles that require low end power to pull things are... turbocharged.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
an S/C is effecient at low RPMS and consistent across the entire RPM band which also means that at higher RPM they become a hinderance.

a turbo is the opposite, the faster it spins the more power it makes, (up until the point where you chose too small a turbo)
yes that's an oversimplification (extremely)
I plan on doing TT on the camaro anyhow
the teg is gonna get a single T
not all superchargers have lowend
some turbochargers have great lowend

unless you are planning grassroots ghetto style, a decent turbo setup will cost you between 10 and 20 cars
Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by MrGone
not all superchargers have lowend
some turbochargers have great lowend

unless you are planning grassroots ghetto style, a decent turbo setup will cost you between 10 and 20 cars
i found one for 8 cars

if I could weld I'd straight up ghetto it y0!

the only conventional part I'd buy are the manifold(s)

but for 8 cars, I'd rather just get the kit, mucho easier install.
Old 08-02-2005, 08:18 AM

my best guess would be reliability since superchargers would be more reliable for most people than a turbo (this is simply due to turbochargers needing to be cooled off before the car is shut off, which i'm sure most people wouldn't due unless they had a turbo timer and i bet they wouldn't put one of those on a car stock).

something interesting to note is that the turbo version of the mercedes mentioned has more low end torque than the supercharger does.

another thing to note is that the very powerful vehicles that require low end power to pull things are... turbocharged.
It shouldn't be a huge surprise that the turbo Mercedes have more low end torque. Its a damn twin turbo V12.
Old 08-02-2005, 09:06 AM

...and diesel.