3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

All windows quit

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 08:27 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

All windows quit

All my windows just quit working. Electric locks still work. No warning or partial screw up at all- one day they all worked fine the next morning all are dead. Got some rain in the passenger side about a week ago but they still worked after that. Did my master switch go?
Old 08-14-2005, 08:31 AM

Oddly enough mine did the same thing. Its been sitting for a while but I think the problem may just be the wiring in the drivers' side switch. You may take a look at that and see if that is the cause. I haven't had a chance to check mine yet but I'm pretty sure that would be the issue.
Old 08-14-2005, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by bhunter
... Did my master switch go?
I'd first check fusible link, fuse. Then open the master sw and inquire for +12V presence... The pour out all water.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/5

Old 08-14-2005, 02:28 PM
mod or sell?

1st check that the window lock button isn't pressed down.
Old 08-14-2005, 04:22 PM

My 90 maxima done a simmilar thing, mine was under warrenty so the car dealer is fixing it up free. My problem was that the drivers window work perfectly, All other passangers' own window controls worked fine, the only problem was that the drivers window controlls for all the other passangers didnt work properly, it only worked making them go down, but not up. Ive seen many maximas with this problem.. yea i know its stupid huh?
Old 08-14-2005, 05:53 PM

The master switch and the passenger switch looked good and dry. When putting it back together I got it to work for a second by holding the button in and switching on the ignition. This worked a couple times for just an instant but now I have a window down an inch and I can't get it to go up. Weird.
Old 08-14-2005, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by PovCityHustla
My 90 maxima done a simmilar thing, mine was under warrenty so the car dealer is fixing it up free. My problem was that the drivers window work perfectly, All other passangers' own window controls worked fine, the only problem was that the drivers window controlls for all the other passangers didnt work properly, it only worked making them go down, but not up. Ive seen many maximas with this problem.. yea i know its stupid huh?
This just happened to me, too. I have a new unit on the way, though.
Old 08-14-2005, 10:57 PM

...can't get it to go up. Weird.
Pass window 'computers' are controlled from main switch via 5V signal data lines. Oxidation or moisture ruins such stupido communication lines very easily: check for oxidized connectors, pinched wires etc minor external trouble on wiring. If its only one window, swap the switch assemblys to pinpoint the fault.

To get window up, take off the motor connector, jump directly +12V.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:19 PM

Finally got the window up a little at a time by holding the switch in and turning the ignition on and off. It works at one little point part of the time. I checked the fuse link in the engine compartment and it checked good. Still, all windows not working.
Old 08-15-2005, 08:34 PM

Finally got the window up a little at a time by holding the switch in and turning the ignition on and off. It works at one little point part of the time. I checked the fuse link in the engine compartment and it checked good. Still, all windows not working.
I'd start with cleaning contacts then ... as well as switch itself ...
"Current" jumps when you turn ignition on/off - must be bad connection somewhere. And as i already mentioned - switch itself might need cleaning.
Also check master on/off switch ...
Good luck!
Old 08-27-2005, 01:58 PM

My 1990 max done the same thing, only the drivers one was working, all the others were broken,and yes, it is your drivers side master switch, mine just needed a couple pf new solders hopefully yours will be as easy to fix as mine was
Old 08-27-2005, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by PovCityHustla
My 1990 max done the same thing, only the drivers one was working, all the others were broken,and yes, it is your drivers side master switch, mine just needed a couple pf new solders hopefully yours will be as easy to fix as mine was
I started a new thread with the results of fixing it and yes it was the master. I started a new one as a lot of times no one hears the results!