3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Flippin window!

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2005, 09:57 AM

Flippin window!

first of i'd like to say ive never had a window problem before so...im a virgin and dont really know what im doing, but the other night as a i drove some drunky's home from a bar i rolled down my passenger window, and i noticed that it came down really fast, "hhhmmmm thats odd" and then it wouldnt roll up (it was raining ps), i can hear the motor turning but it wont roll up or down, and it seems to slide up and down by hand without any resistance, which i guess was lucky for me since i was able to slide it up by hand into the sil on top so it stayed closed. What the flip happened? Did it come off its track and how do i fix it, like i said, window virgin, so I really appreciate any help given, thanks alot!
Nick
Old 08-14-2005, 10:00 AM

either it fell of track, or youre the victim of the window regulator problem......i've replaced all 4 in both the maximas i had
Old 08-14-2005, 10:10 AM

how do i figure out which one happened and if it fell of track how do i fix it?
Old 08-14-2005, 10:22 AM

take of the door panel, use this link

http://www.geocities.com/craigbrace/

take out the window regulator and motor and see if the plastic thing that holds the window on track has broke, its most likely this because thats what happened to all of mine

oh and make sure you tape the window up or it'll fall to the bottom and break
Old 08-14-2005, 12:25 PM

It's your window regulator. Go to a self-serve wreckers for another, or order new from your local Nissan dealer. You can separate the motor from the regulator.
Old 08-14-2005, 12:41 PM

order it through nissan and they'll make you go broke, go to autozone, its 69.99 for just the regulator
Old 08-14-2005, 12:59 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

lets not forget internetautomart.....he is cheaper than idiotzone.

http://www.internetautomart.com/
Old 08-14-2005, 01:01 PM

lol forgot about him, yep go through him, prolly the best to go through
Old 08-14-2005, 02:35 PM
mod or sell?

sheesh, you guys started to get me worried that I was being forgotten
Old 08-14-2005, 09:28 PM

don't worry we won't forget ya
Old 08-14-2005, 09:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Forget you... Ya Right!!! BTW what the HE doublehockysticks is a KH2?????
Old 08-14-2005, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by CyMax

where do you see that??
Old 08-14-2005, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by ghostridden
where do you see that??
I'm a schmutz... diddling bewteen this forum and the SR20DE site (the females car) Sorry.
Old 08-14-2005, 11:08 PM

I'd say pull apart the door panel from the door, cause' that's the only way your gonna really know for sure. It only takes about a couple of minutes to take it off and put back on. Just don't loose any screws. I would say, it is either the plastic clip that holds the window to the regulator track, or the cable broke. The cable breaking doesn't seem all that probable, only becuase it is a fairly thick metal cable, but it or the plastic clip breaking would give you similar results at what your encountering now. The window regulator's for the front seem to always be cheaper than the ones for the back. my rear passenger window regulator needs to be replaced, becuase the cable has been "bunched up" in the wheel where it it rolls into. If your motor is still good, which one can assume from just listening. I would say just go to a junk yard and get a window regulator there. I wouldn't pay anything over $20 for a regulator at a junkyard, especially if it doesn't come with a motor. Be sure that the regulator you purchase fits the door that it is going in. The regulators are not compatable with the different doors, FR, FL, RR, RL. This meaning, only a rear passenger side window regulator will fit in that rear passenger side door, it won't fit and work properly in a different door. Good luck, this is not a hard job to do.

Oh also, if the plastic clip is what is broken and your short on cash, try playing with some adhesives and a spare piece of metal or plastic and try and rig it up yourself. I don't think it would be hard to do. The concept isn't all that mind boggling.
Old 08-15-2005, 12:31 AM

Thanks michael, that was a very good post, and im going to do exactly that tommorow and ill post back on the results.. Thanks alot
Old 08-15-2005, 04:29 AM
mod or sell?

the paint code for my J30
my DC4 has a totally different paint code though as does my F-body
Old 08-15-2005, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by internetautomar
the paint code for my J30
my DC4 has a totally different paint code though as does my F-body
DC4, aint that a plane?!?!?
Old 08-15-2005, 05:13 PM
mod or sell?

DC4, aint that a plane?!?!?
yup, I bought it with all the profit I make off of my website
Old 08-15-2005, 08:13 PM

okey dokey, so i have the door apart but im not sure, which part is exactly the regulator..sorry im a dumbass to windows, on this photo whats the regulator http://www.geocities.com/bracecraig/...w/window15.jpg, and how can i tell if its broken or not?
Thanks a ton!
Old 08-16-2005, 06:06 AM
mod or sell?

Look for broken pieces. or if the cable isn't wound correct (it'll look wrong)
Old 10-13-2005, 01:06 PM

Thanks, got it all taken care of, it was the regulator it was cracked and broken in several places, got a brand new motor and regulator assembly for 50 bucks shipped off ebay.

Thanks again,
Nick
Old 11-10-2005, 05:17 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Other Window Help

My headache is different and I can't find any threads on it yet. I can't post a new thread cause I am a new member. Anyhoo, my problem is that my passenger and rear windows roll down from my master switch, but will not roll up. They roll up and down fine from the individual door switches, including the drivers window which is on the master switch. I tried a new master switch, but it didn't fix it. Any suggestions?
Old 11-10-2005, 05:25 PM

I'm going to have to order a couple as well. My driver's side rear window reg broke a couple months back, so I just have it manually up for now. My driver door one is also funky...it only goes up when the car has been sitting for a long time, but it'll go down any time you want it to.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:53 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It's the regulator, stupid

Easy one, its the window regulator. Use genuie to replace. 1st one will take a while, the next 3 will go quickly.
Old 11-10-2005, 06:02 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Redrider2327
My headache is different and I can't find any threads on it yet. I can't post a new thread cause I am a new member. Anyhoo, my problem is that my passenger and rear windows roll down from my master switch, but will not roll up. They roll up and down fine from the individual door switches, including the drivers window which is on the master switch. I tried a new master switch, but it didn't fix it. Any suggestions?
I'd start by checking to see if you have a signal going to the windows when the master switch is flipped.
you may have to check for continuity on the wires. your problem does not sound like a regulator issue to me since they work fine from their individual switches.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:40 PM

Did you try a new or used master switch?

This is more than likely a master switch problem.

Have you noticed the driver's window going up by itself yet? Having trouble with the door locks? All of these happened to me. Replaced the switch, everything OK.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:34 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I tried a used one, but the used one worked in the car it came out of. I am also having trouble with the locks too. It's intermittant, but currently they are not working either. They stopped before the windows stopped. No, my drivers window has not began going up by itself. That sounds like some fun..... I could try a new one, but they cost about 120.00, and I don't think I can return it because it's an electrical component. Any other thoughts?
Old 11-11-2005, 01:24 AM
what can my max do for me

I tried a used one, but the used one worked in the car it came out of. I am also having trouble with the locks too. It's intermittant, but currently they are not working either. They stopped before the windows stopped. No, my drivers window has not began going up by itself. That sounds like some fun..... I could try a new one, but they cost about 120.00, and I don't think I can return it because it's an electrical component. Any other thoughts?
u should try www.car-parts.com
Old 11-11-2005, 10:27 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

To All Who Helped:

I tried a new master switch and it fixed the problem with the windows. Thanks for your help. I still have my lock problem and will tackle that later as there are some threads on that issue already. Thanks again!
Old 11-12-2005, 07:19 AM

SLIGHTLY OFF TOPIC for internetautomar

Hay internetautomar i was wondering since you have window regulators front and rear availible to you can you tell me how diffrent in design the front and rear reguilators are? The reason i ask is i have been thinking about modding some Front window regulators so that i can roll the rear windows all they way down.
Old 11-12-2005, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by Loco7
Hay internetautomar i was wondering since you have window regulators front and rear availible to you can you tell me how diffrent in design the front and rear reguilators are? The reason i ask is i have been thinking about modding some Front window regulators so that i can roll the rear windows all they way down.
Won't work due to the shape of the doors vs. the shape/size of the glass...........
Old 11-12-2005, 08:18 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by klymkow
Won't work due to the shape of the doors vs. the shape/size of the glass...........

There is nothing you could do to the regulator to make it roll the glass all the down, due to the rear glass being larger then the doors are....
Old 11-12-2005, 04:49 PM
mod or sell?

pics:
Front left

Rear left
Old 11-15-2005, 02:02 AM

Well it was a thought....
Old 06-22-2007, 09:59 AM

I replaced the regulator (reused my motor) and the window tilts in a little. All the screws are in. I lubed the crap out of it with white lithium grease and the cable. Also the window moves a little slower sometimes, because of the window I'm guessing. But when I use the window in the morning it always moves super fast like all the other ones. What I want to figure out is why the window can move or tilt a little. The side closest to the door mirror is where it tilts towards. The regulator I bought: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...124501803&rd=1
Old 06-23-2007, 01:30 PM

The glass has to be following the track and regulator. You sure the regulator isn't bent? Also someone used the search feature this thread is 2 years old. I noticed people saying to go to the junkyard to get a regulator. Why? They are prone to break in these cars and you are buying another part that is just as old and has been sitting in the elements.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:40 PM

When I compared the new regulator to the old one, the new one's metal track does not have a triangular top like the old one but a rectangular one. Did I get the wrong regulator? I just looked at the picture in the listing:

and the regulator looks to have rectangular ends at both ends unlike the old one. IS it possible for the right front regulator to have a rectangular shaped end rather than a triangular one?

-------EDITED-------