3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Might buy a 93 that threw a connecting rod

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2005, 05:36 AM

Might buy a 93 that threw a connecting rod

Just getting some input. The car is lowered, kitted, has upgraded wheels, exhaust, and brakes. The kid (who I know from school) bought the car RUNNING for 800, so I figure I could pick it up for less than 300. How difficult is it working on third gens? Is there a lot of room in the engine bay? How difficult would it be to swap another VE engine? Even if I buy a junkyard engine for less than 600, I figure someone will be willing to pay at least $2k running well, and hence, make a profit. Who knows, maybe I would really engoy the VI and IRS...Thanks for any advice
Old 08-19-2005, 05:47 AM

I think it would depend heavily on how skilled you are. If its only the engine thats gone and the rest of the car is in good condition I would go for it. Even if you decide to not fix it, you can make more than $300 selling parts alone. The room in the engine bay is decent and it shouldnt be too hard to swap in another engine.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:03 AM

Nevermind this post. I have a lot going on in my own current car, plus I am going to college in a week, so this was spur of the moment excitement. Thanks for the reply though.
Old 08-19-2005, 06:05 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Just getting some input. The car is lowered, kitted, has upgraded wheels, exhaust, and brakes. The kid (who I know from school) bought the car RUNNING for 800, so I figure I could pick it up for less than 300. How difficult is it working on third gens? Is there a lot of room in the engine bay? How difficult would it be to swap another VE engine? Even if I buy a junkyard engine for less than 600, I figure someone will be willing to pay at least $2k running well, and hence, make a profit. Who knows, maybe I would really engoy the VI and IRS...Thanks for any advice
Your profile says that you are 17. I would assume that means you have zero experience working on cars? If that is case, you are biting off WAY more than you can chew.
Old 08-19-2005, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pervis Anathema
Your profile says that you are 17. I would assume that means you have zero experience working on cars? If that is case, you are biting off WAY more than you can chew.
I wouldnt say that. Age means nothing.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:10 PM

I don't have zero experience working on cars, and have in fact taught myself to do many things. Since I would be buying the car for that cheap, this would give me that experience that you speak of - how else am I going to get it? This is besides the point since the post right above yours states why I'm not going to get the car. I admit: too much work and hassle, not enough reward. I have things I need to straighten out with my 96 within the next year (axle, vacuum leak from IM) that will keep me more than busy with work, college, etc. Don't judge by age, I pride myself on working on my own car.
Old 08-19-2005, 09:43 PM
I miss my VE

I agree with Pervis. The majority of teens really don't have any experience with cars since they are just opening their eyes to the automotive world. And if you can tackle major repairs at a young age, doesn't mean you can do it right unless you been locked in a garage being trained from the age of 13 or something like that for the age not to matter as stated before. It just doesn't work that way. Also just because you can take something off and put it back on a car, doesn't mean you have real experience with cars. Anybody can do that. Theres alot more to it then that. Alot more.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:41 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by 4dscPat
I wouldnt say that. Age means nothing.

Nobody has experience in doing anything until they do it...Then you have it.

I think fixing the car would be a good "EXPERIENCE" for you.

Go for it....
Old 08-20-2005, 06:42 AM
Way out West

Actually, it would be a good deal if you have the means to put in another engine. By "means" I mean you have the tools and can do it yourself or you have a dad/uncle/brother, etc. that has the tools and skill to help you.

Being young can sometimes be an advantage. If you are in school and are in autoshop, the teacher can help and you usually have full access to a complete set of quality tools.

Sounds like it has several hundred dollars in mods, so if you do pick it up, just selling the mods (which are fairly easy to take off) would get your money back.

Working on a 3rd gen isn't that hard if you do not crack into the engine itself. The VE is a lot more complex than most engines, with DOHC, three timing chains and VTCs. Your best bet would be by far doing an engine swap.

It is kind of difficult finding a decent junkyard engine for these. Most will have VTC tick and/or lots of miles. Your best bet would be to fork over about $600-$900 for a low mile JDM engine and swap it in.
Old 08-20-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Nobody has experience in doing anything until they do it...Then you have it.

I think fixing the car would be a good "EXPERIENCE" for you.

Go for it....
Going from not knowing how to swim to attempting a crossing of the English Channel would be suicide.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:05 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Going from not knowing how to swim to attempting a crossing of the English Channel would be suicide.
If an inexperienced swimmer tried that they would probably die. Replacing a connecting rod is not the same thing...He's not going to drown in the ocean if he does it wrong, you are comparing apples to handgranades...
We are talking about rebuilding the bottom end of an engine..Which can be done by An inexperienced person with instuctions and guidance..
Old 08-20-2005, 08:31 AM

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
If an inexperienced swimmer tried that they would probably die. Replacing a connecting rod is not the same thing...He's not going to drown in the ocean if he does it wrong, you are comparing apples to handgranades...
We are talking about rebuilding the bottom end of an engine..Which can be done by An inexperienced person with instuctions and guidance..
So we just went from him doing the job himself to having instruction and guidance. Care to change the conditions any further?
Old 08-20-2005, 09:49 AM
I'm needing a caw

A few of us went to alot of trouble to document this swap. Read the stickies and judge for yourself if you can handle it.

IMHO, worst case is you hire someone. So you have to spend another $2,000 at the most.

Originally Posted by BigLou93SE
Old 08-20-2005, 10:02 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Umm....you are all missing the point here. He said he decided to NOT get the car.
You are arguing for nothing.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:33 AM
I'm needing a caw

Point being he could have read the stickies and come up with his conclusion all by himself.

Or for the other newbies that don't read, might as well put some info out there.

Just like your gem of a reply.

Originally Posted by seanneal
Umm....you are all missing the point here. He said he decided to NOT get the car.
Old 08-20-2005, 10:57 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by seanneal
Thats not the point. We were discussing if he could do it or not, regardless of him getting it or not.
Old 08-20-2005, 12:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just because someone is a teen does not mean they have no automotive expirence. My cousin grew up with a mechanic father, and completly restored a Firebird, both engine and body at age 14. I on the otherhand started out knowing nothing, but now have quite a bit of expirence. I have bought and repaired 3 cars, then sold them, and now I am putting a tranny in my 90 max and that is going to be sold too.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:42 PM

sorry buddy, but i partly disagree. You should not "assume" anything i am only 19 and have been doing engine swaps, rebuilds, tranny swaps, rebuilds and all sorts of mechanical work for years, not saying ive never made a mistake just saying ive done it and am very mechanically inclined. So don't judge a book by its cover. I do agree that some teens dont know what they are doing but not all.
Old 08-20-2005, 01:53 PM

My dad was in the same boat growing up. His dad was a great mechanic/bodyman. I don't really know how much my dad did, but he built some pretty fast cars growing up. I just wish he'd show me the same experience his father showerd him. unfortunately my father is very with his job, and he also doesn't own his own business doing this kind of work. At least not anymore. he enjoyed working on the cars more than managing the business.

Edit:
Pervis, I agree with your assumption though, because a lot of kids these want to do so much but don't have either the knowledge, or the right tools and environment the gain the knowledge.

Originally Posted by geoff.doctor
Just because someone is a teen does not mean they have no automotive expirence. My cousin grew up with a mechanic father, and completly restored a Firebird, both engine and body at age 14. I on the otherhand started out knowing nothing, but now have quite a bit of expirence. I have bought and repaired 3 cars, then sold them, and now I am putting a tranny in my 90 max and that is going to be sold too.
Old 08-20-2005, 02:54 PM

I think Anyone that has read this now understands that some kids have it and some kids don't! Just because I was able to rebuild my first car at the age of 16 doesn't mean the next kid could. Catagorizing teens as "not knowing what they're doing" is wrong. If I were 17 again and some guy said that Because of my age I couldn't do it, I would have told him where to go and how to get there. But in stating that, I'm also going to say that most of these "kids" out there who have changed a starter, or done small repairs and thinks that they have the skills to do a fuel injected, front wheel drive engine swap is gonna have their eyes opened when they get half way and get lost, or better yet get it all in and it doesn't run. Or my personal favorite, Get it in and then notice something on the ground that should have went in near the begining of the swap, and have to start all over again. Experience is something that you have to gain through trial and error, so if you have the guts to give it a shot go for it! But don't come crying when it doesn't work! Just because I built my first car at 16 doesn't mean that I knew everything! I've learn't soooo much since then, that I realize now that I didn't know s#!t when I was younger!