3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Found Some Rust(pics)

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2005, 07:26 AM
I miss my VE

Found Some Rust(pics)

Finally got around to really taken a good look into the back seat and I was not expecting it to be this bad. I know many people have it alot worse though, so I won't cry about it. Just wanna know if this is really seriose, and what steps I should take to make sure it doesn't spread. Below are pics taken of pretty much most of the rusty spots. Enjoy, and tell me what ya think.

Still okay I guess...

I tried pressing on the rust spots and the structure seems to still be holding...

I already knew about this. It's not really noticable in person and especially when the door is closed...
Old 08-21-2005, 07:27 AM
I miss my VE

Looks like somebody wuz here. I could be wrong though, but looks like somebody tried to do something about it a long time ago. I bet this can qualify for Nissan's little recall since it's around the seatbelt area. Oh and I ran a Carfax on the car before I bought it, and it came out clean. Is that were I would find if the recall was done or not? I didn't see anything about a recall done...

Some minor rust spots...

And last but not least, the worst one of them all. This is the one that really caught my eye. Seemed okay at first, but when I touched it, my finger fell through. So I just put some tape over it to close up the hole...

Also, if there are any other places I can check, I would love to do so. Thanks.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:55 AM
Im izz sexay

Check at a dealer for recalls and they'll tell you. Also don't mention that someone tampered with it if it's true that someone did.
Old 08-21-2005, 11:00 AM

hey joe, that pic with the one where you put your finger through it, i did the same on mine, but i have no rust anyhere else. in my trunk area, i have no rust and same with the filelr neck, so it doesnt affect my seatbelts, but for now i put silicon over the hole so when you drive, water does not come inside the car.......just a temporary fix for mine, you might wanna think about that since when you drive in the rain, water might come inside your car.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:01 PM

Wow.....that looks bad

What a rust bucket

-D
Old 08-21-2005, 02:32 PM
mod or sell?

on the light rust areas, I'd use a stiff wire brush and some EXTENDS
in the case of the hole, the only real solution is to cut and weld.
Old 08-21-2005, 02:36 PM

Yep it does. Have you looked under the car yet, paying particular attention to the frame and rocker panels?
Old 08-22-2005, 05:18 AM

I've been fighting Nissan for about 5 months now with the rust in my car. The rear seatbelt holder has completely fallen off. You could almost shove a 20 oz. bottle through the hole in the trunk/wheel well. Good luck!
Old 08-22-2005, 05:57 AM

i believe this was one of the things we told you to check when you went to buy this car.......
Old 08-25-2005, 12:28 PM
I miss my VE

Excuse for late reply...

Originally Posted by D-sta
Wow.....that looks bad

What a rust bucket

-D
Wait till it happens to you

Hows the M3 coming along?

Originally Posted by belakithom
Yep it does. Have you looked under the car yet, paying particular attention to the frame and rocker panels?
Yeah, I have but it looks fine under there. What about the rocker panels? Im not too sure what those are.

Originally Posted by Nocheez
I've been fighting Nissan for about 5 months now with the rust in my car. The rear seatbelt holder has completely fallen off. You could almost shove a 20 oz. bottle through the hole in the trunk/wheel well. Good luck!
Have you tried calling Larry Long? I heard about him helping other members out who were having trouble getting Nissan to do the recall. Sorry to hear your rust is that bad. I think you could use the luck more then I can.

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
i believe this was one of the things we told you to check when you went to buy this car.......
I popped the seat, but I didn't know to take the upper part off too. I just figured you pop the seat and see the problem there. And since I didn't see anything too bad, I went for it. Plus I needed a car ASAP, and most of the clean 5spds were in different states. This one played the part mechanically and looks wise. If you were in my situation, I don't think you would refuse it for the price that I paid for it, to suffer a bit of rust that can hopefully be repaired soon. What do you think?
Old 08-25-2005, 07:55 PM

Yeah, I have but it looks fine under there. What about the rocker panels? Im not too sure what those are.

That is the metal that is underneath the doors between the wheel wells. If you look directly under a door, you can see them. They are most susceptible to salt, dirt, etc.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:08 AM

Wow.....that looks bad

What a rust bucket

-D
whatta punk.

i would try to seal up the holes as best possible, silicone, figerglass, something, then take off the wheels and heavily undercoat your wheel wells. it wont stop the rusting, but itll at least stop it from getting in your car. mine were worse.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:39 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Ouch, Nasty rust bucket!
Old 08-28-2005, 09:15 AM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by shavedmax
whatta punk.

i would try to seal up the holes as best possible, silicone, figerglass, something, then take off the wheels and heavily undercoat your wheel wells. it wont stop the rusting, but itll at least stop it from getting in your car. mine were worse.
Yeah, Im gonna get on the rust ASAP. My friend does body work so most likely I don't even have to bother with Nissan. He can help me out with the tools, etc. With Nissan, too much trouble I hear, and would probably take too long.

Just curiose,

1) Does rust like this spread fast? Can I be safe for another month or 2?
2) What would be the best natural thing to do for now.. Not drive in the rain? No car washes?

Thanks alot.
Old 08-28-2005, 11:08 AM

Never will happen to my maxima and yes I said never. Always kept clean and if salt does touch it before I park I hose it down in the building garage, I don't think I have a spec of rust.

Juan I'm only 50 exits away to show you punk.

The m3 is coming along nicely. I just installed some HIDs and did some maintenance to it, I've been driving it everyday while the maxima sleeps in the garage.

-Diego
Old 08-28-2005, 06:10 PM

Never will happen to my maxima and yes I said never. Always kept clean and if salt does touch it before I park I hose it down in the building garage, I don't think I have a spec of rust.

Juan I'm only 50 exits away to show you punk.

The m3 is coming along nicely. I just installed some HIDs and did some maintenance to it, I've been driving it everyday while the maxima sleeps in the garage.

-Diego
i thought the maxima turned into the family bucket. i work alot closer than you think so dont get me going........................

i hope to have an end of summer bbq at the crib, ill let you know when that'll be so we can get together.

oh and on the rust thing. just let it be until you fix it. stick sone duck tape on it so water doesnt get all over, but it's been like that until now, just let it be.
Old 08-28-2005, 06:43 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by shavedmax
i thought the maxima turned into the family bucket. i work alot closer than you think so dont get me going........................

i hope to have an end of summer bbq at the crib, ill let you know when that'll be so we can get together.

oh and on the rust thing. just let it be until you fix it. stick sone duck tape on it so water doesnt get all over, but it's been like that until now, just let it be.
Gotcha, thanks.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:17 PM

duct tape???? do camoflage kind, LOL, silicon is clear if u want to use that.and it should come off easy enough.