3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

Well this might be the end folks

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:34 PM
I'm needing a caw

Actually the track editions are pretty rare. Rarer to find for sale. Rarer yet to have as set come up days after I get mine ripped. But I don't "think" theae are the same ones. Yes there are some things about this particalar set that I could tell from another set.
Nothing I'd like to post though.

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
Theres like a million of these wheels out there. Why would you guys even consider them being his/how would you prove it? Unless you got any particular marks you can identify them with?
Old 09-08-2005, 01:13 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by Jeff92se
Actually the track editions are pretty rare. Rarer to find for sale. Rarer yet to have as set come up days after I get mine ripped. But I don't "think" theae are the same ones. Yes there are some things about this particalar set that I could tell from another set.
Nothing I'd like to post though.
If it's around your side of the world, theres a very good chance they are yours. They come off of the 05' Track Edition Z, right?

Edit: Forget it, I just seen the link where he bought the car. Probably just selling the wheels off it. Could be a plot to throw you off though, but I highly doubt that. Wouldn't hurt to take a close look at them though.
Old 09-08-2005, 05:33 PM

Theres like a million of these wheels out there. Why would you guys even consider them being his/how would you prove it? Unless you got any particular marks you can identify them with, theres really no proof.
doesnt jeff have 2 sets of fronts???
Old 09-08-2005, 05:46 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

wow i just checked the boards now, sorry to hear that jeff but im glad you got her back !
Old 09-11-2005, 01:33 PM
Apple Pie Monster

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
Did you have wheel locks on? I still run wheel locks. All the tire shops tell me not to and say they will still the whole car. But even if they do, they are going to have a hell of a time getting them off. I lost the key to one a while ago and with all the tools in my garage I could not get them off, I was able to get one! and that was all.
Wheel locks are a joke honestly, you dont have to take the whole car. Whoever u talked to simply doesnt deal with rounded bolts very often. I worked at quick lube places for the better part of 4 yrs. Seen lots of other peoples work, and had to fix their shiat for customers. All it takes is a trip to sears, the tools, a hammer and a cresent wrench. Im not giving away ideas, so dont get ticked. Just stating that if "they" want the rims/car/stereo bad enough "they" will get it. Trust me, living in the IE for 17 years I seen allot of things disapear. Imagine seeing my buddies dads Super Duty with the side doors to the work bed open, the inside used to house a huge damn near rollaway size craftsmen box, filled with tools, and welding supplies, empty! Broad daylight, in the driveway, always ppl coming in and out of garage working on bikes/mopar/dunebuggy. Its sad, course I seen plenty of cars, trucks and bikes go bye-bye too.
Old 09-11-2005, 03:58 PM
Ford Only.

Originally Posted by wolfpack_5150
Wheel locks are a joke honestly, you dont have to take the whole car. Whoever u talked to simply doesnt deal with rounded bolts very often. I worked at quick lube places for the better part of 4 yrs. Seen lots of other peoples work, and had to fix their shiat for customers. All it takes is a trip to sears, the tools, a hammer and a cresent wrench. Im not giving away ideas, so dont get ticked. Just stating that if "they" want the rims/car/stereo bad enough "they" will get it. Trust me, living in the IE for 17 years I seen allot of things disapear. Imagine seeing my buddies dads Super Duty with the side doors to the work bed open, the inside used to house a huge damn near rollaway size craftsmen box, filled with tools, and welding supplies, empty! Broad daylight, in the driveway, always ppl coming in and out of garage working on bikes/mopar/dunebuggy. Its sad, course I seen plenty of cars, trucks and bikes go bye-bye too.
I can honestly say that a $15 set of wheel locks helped stop some punks from stealing my $1200 rims in the ghetto one night. I came out after a party to find 3 lug nuts on the ground, one loose and the wheel lock? nice and TIGHT! They decided to steal my fog lights instead. I say why not make it harder on them also.
Old 09-11-2005, 04:05 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Originally Posted by dmontzsta
I can honestly say that a $15 set of wheel locks helped stop some punks from stealing my $1200 rims in the ghetto one night. I came out after a party to find 3 lug nuts on the ground, one loose and the wheel lock? nice and TIGHT! They decided to steal my fog lights instead. I say why not make it harder on them also.

True....No security system is fullproof....and eventually will bypassed or broken..But the common punk thief is looking for easy and quick to steal...If they see as they are trying to steal something that there is something put there to slow them down....chances are they will give up for fear of getting caught....
Old 09-11-2005, 05:09 PM
Apple Pie Monster

very good point, punks looking for an easy buck will walk away.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

The jerks that tried to use my car as an autoparts store never came back.
Old 09-11-2005, 05:46 PM

For your next set of wheels, try this trick...

Get a copy of your registration and/or driver's licence, and a note, saying - "Dear Tire Installer - If you see this note, and I'm not the one getting the work done, please call the cops."

Put the whole thing in a plastic bag, then have _your_ tire jock duct-tape the package inside your wheel.

The next time that someone needs new rubber or a repair, they may be greeted with a surprise...

M
Old 09-11-2005, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by RyderMax

Get a copy of your registration and/or driver's licence, and a note, saying - "Dear Tire Installer - If you see this note, and I'm not the one getting the work done, please call the cops."

Put the whole thing in a plastic bag, then have _your_ tire jock duct-tape the package inside your wheel.

The next time that someone needs new rubber or a repair, they may be greeted with a surprise...

M
Old 09-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by RyderMax

M
That's gonna throw off the wheel balance a tiny bit, haha. Also, the thieves would probably see it but of course, some are really dumb. And besides looking ugly, it'd probably come off after enough rainy drives. Might be worth it if you're in a really bad area, though.

So I take it either Jeff did not have wheel locks or the thieves cracked his wheel locks with a hammer and chisel or something similar.

Dmonstaz, are those VW rims on your 4th gen? Look good!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:27 PM

well just write on the inside of the wheels with a magic marker that says that.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by VQuick
That's gonna throw off the wheel balance a tiny bit, haha. Also, the thieves would probably see it but of course, some are really dumb. And besides looking ugly, it'd probably come off after enough rainy drives. Might be worth it if you're in a really bad area, though.

So I take it either Jeff did not have wheel locks or the thieves cracked his wheel locks with a hammer and chisel or something similar.

Dmonstaz, are those VW rims on your 4th gen? Look good!
He had wheel locks on the car
Old 09-11-2005, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by tripleGmax
well just write on the inside of the wheels with a magic marker that says that.
seriously that is an excellent idea
Old 09-11-2005, 07:36 PM

i assumed he had wheel locks. anyone found the rims for sale by any chance yet?
Old 09-11-2005, 07:38 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I am guessing he meant to put that message on the inside of the wheel, inside the tire. So, the next time a tire guy removed the tire at a tire shop, he will see that message.

I think it is a great idea. I have never thought of that. I've seen the tire guys write messages on the inside of the tire. My last tire guy wrote the date of when he patched a certain puncture. It came in handy when I had to go back b/c the guy didn't seal it correctly the first time.

My only problem with that message idea is, most like, by the time the tire guy sees that message, the wheels will already have exchanged owners. Some guy will probably not know he has bought stolen wheels and tires.

But it's still a good idea, especially if you have expensive wheels.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:41 PM
Chassis Freak

Originally Posted by Aaron92SE
I am guessing he meant to put that message on the inside of the wheel, inside the tire. So, the next time a tire guy removed the tire at a tire shop, he will see that message.

I think it is a great idea. I have never thought of that. I've seen the tire guys write messages on the inside of the tire. My last tire guy wrote the date of when he patched a certain puncture. It came in handy when I had to go back b/c the guy didn't seal it correctly the first time.

My only problem with that message idea is, most like, by the time the tire guy sees that message, the wheels will already have exchanged owners. Some guy will probably not know he has bought stolen wheels and tires.

I was thinking that too, but you'd have to wait until you got new tires mounted to do that. Not exactly something you can do in your garage unless you have a tire mounting machine.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:44 PM

ah but that guy who bought them could call the number in the wheel and then the original owner could find out who he bought the stolen rims from....and bam someone is busted
Old 09-11-2005, 07:46 PM
NWP Engineering.com

I was thinking that too, but you'd have to wait until you got new tires mounted to do that. Not exactly something you can do in your garage unless you have a tire mounting machine.
Exactly. It's something that the thief wouldn't have a clue about until he picks up a nail or changes tires. Next time you have the tire off at the tire shop you can ask the guy to write on your wheel and date it.

This reminds me of another theft deterant where you get a bunch of business cards and slide them down in every crack you can find. All your windows, inside your dash, behind the seats, etc. I read this on a police website. I'm not sure exactly how this can help you in this case. I am guessing that most theives sell parts in large chunks. And if they find one business card inside your door, they might think about the 100s of business card that can be spread around the entire car. I think it's something that cops know to look for.

Also, enscribing your VIN number on every window is suppose to help somehow. I'm starting to see that on a lot of Camrys.
Old 09-11-2005, 07:47 PM
NWP Engineering.com

ah but that guy who bought them could call the number in the wheel and then the original owner could find out who he bought the stolen rims from....and bam someone is busted
Good point!
Old 09-11-2005, 07:51 PM

This reminds me of another theft deterant where you get a bunch of business cards and slide them down in every crack you can find. All your windows, inside your dash, behind the seats, etc. I read this on a police website. I'm not sure exactly how this can help you in this case. I am guessing that most theifs sell parts in large chunks. And if they find one business card inside your door, they might think about the 100s of business card that can be spread around the entire car. I think it's something that cops know to look for.

Also, enscribing your VIN number on every window is suppose to help somehow. I'm starting to see that on a lot of Camrys.
hmmm. thats something i never thought about, business cards. one that reads. "thanks for buying a part from my stolen car. please call me so i can get it back, thanks."
Old 09-11-2005, 08:00 PM
NWP Engineering.com

hmmm. thats something i never thought about, business cards. one that reads. "thanks for buying a part from my stolen car. please call me so i can get it back, thanks."
You can create your own 250 free business cards at www.VistaPrint.com. Just pay a $5 shipping and handling charge.
Old 09-11-2005, 08:01 PM

LOL sweet i think i might do that. thanks
Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 PM
I'm needing a caw

Well they want to total the car. So let the negotiations begin. I'll more than likely just throw some 17" Z wheels on (I think they clear the bbk) and consider parting the car out or something.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:41 PM
Do I get a tax break?

Jeff - just saw this... Sorry to hear it... Whatever happens, don't leave us!
Old 09-12-2005, 03:17 PM

Let them total it, then buy it back for like 100 bucks. Why would you consider parting it out? It breaks my heart every time another 3rd gen bites the dust, especially when its a sweet one like yours. From what I gather it still runs and drives, keep 'er going.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:37 PM

so how many people are gonna come on here calling dibs?
Old 09-12-2005, 03:48 PM
I'm needing a caw

I could sell it whole for the right price. But let get the car back and settle things down a bit. I JUST got to a point where I was enjoying the car too.
Old 09-12-2005, 03:55 PM

once I sell mine I might be interested if you really want to

not really sure yet, but would be nice to get that one project finished
Old 09-15-2005, 10:56 AM

Jeff, what are you going to get in its place?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:02 AM
I'm needing a caw

Right now, I'm leaning toward a G35 sedan. I need 4 doors, low-ish miles, fairly easy repair, inexpensive modability, rwd/awd. I'm shying away from the european stuff for now. I don't like the repair parts costs. I know you have a fairly reliable bmw and I'd like to have a 2000-2001 330i sedan but I believe it's a tad smaller than the G. Audi A6 4.2 or 2.7TT are nice. But the 4.2 is 4k lbs and the 2.7TT has expensive turbo replacement costs.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:09 AM

Right now, I'm leaning toward a G35 sedan. I need 4 doors, low-ish miles, fairly easy repair, inexpensive modability, rwd/awd. I'm shying away from the european stuff for now. I don't like the repair parts costs. I know you have a fairly reliable bmw and I'd like to have a 2000-2001 330i sedan but I believe it's a tad smaller than the G. Audi A6 4.2 or 2.7TT are nice. But the 4.2 is 4k lbs and the 2.7TT has expensive turbo replacement costs.
breaking my heart here

only because I'm jealous

IBHornswogglerBMW
Old 09-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I miss my VE

Jeff, I still don't get why your getting rid of the car. Didn't they just take some wheels, and scratch some stuff? Or you just tired of the 3rd gen?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:25 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Dibs on the new p/s hose...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:27 AM
I'm needing a caw

Here's the plan. Slap some wheels on it and get it out of the bodyshop. Insurance wants to total it (so far at least, I faxed 22 pages of receipts/documents tuesday ie.. about 6 grand in mods/repairs/etc). So I need to see if they still want to total it and see what they want to pay me out minus the buy back. It will get either a salvage, rebuilt or theft recovery title. I'll part out the mods and sell it stock or sell it as modded. Don't quite know yet. Shawn has expressed interest. From there, this $ would be put toward a down on a newer used car. Or it will be put toward a dedicated project car. I like either a 5.0 1st gen rx7 swap or a LT1/LS1 2nd genr rx7 swap.

Either way, I need a good newer commuter/family car.

1 previous total, 3 engine swaps (one was about a month after the 1st total!), 4-5 clutch/tranny/flywheel swaps, 2-3 suspension swaps, 1 spark plug blow out, and many, many other misc things later, I believe it's time to start considering something else. I've had a 3-gen since 1998 or so.

Don't get me wrong, with the engine mods, suspension and brake stuff, this thing still gets up, handles and stops better than most stock family sedans out there now (despite the price or year)

Just sorta tired of having to wrench like a ***** because I need the car the next day. I'd have to do engine swaps in like 2 days to get the car ready for the next week's commute on monday.

Jeff, I still don't get why your getting rid of the car. Didn't they just take some wheels, and scratch some stuff? Or you just tired of the 3rd gen?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:28 AM
I'm needing a caw

Dork.............

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
Dibs on the new p/s hose...
Old 09-15-2005, 11:46 AM

Jeff, what about the current Acura TL? Those are pretty cool cars (except for being FWD). Seriously, if you like a lot of space and 4-doors, they are pretty roomy and very nice. Good value too.
Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Dork.............

I just didn't want a perfectly good hose to go to waste....
Old 09-15-2005, 12:03 PM
I'm needing a caw

It's already on the car.

Originally Posted by MyGreenMax94
I just didn't want a perfectly good hose to go to waste....

Quick Reply: Well this might be the end folks