3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

'93 GXE might undergo a VE transplant

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2005, 08:23 PM

'93 GXE might undergo a VE transplant

most of u guys already know that its a waste of time and money and not even worth it. but it seems so damn hard to come across a VE 5-speed in good workin' condition in Miami. but just today i came across a VE motor in the junkyard with 156k on it. if im lucky enough i can get just the motor for less than $200. of course i will be gettin' the ECU and harness along with it. my '93 apparently just went through its first motor swap successfully with no problems. haven't had problems since i swapped in the low mileage VG into it. but its the VE that i want under my hood. now money, time, parts, and not havin' my car for awhile is not an issue for me. i can get the parts that i need to bring the VE back to life really cheap since i work at a shop. i will be doin' all the labor myself again with some help on doin' this swap that is if i am able to get the motor. people on here have thought about it long and hard on doin' a VG -> VE swap. but they have all been told not worth, too much money, sell the car and buy a VE, etc... includin' myself have said the same to other members. but me bein' me just can't deal with havin' a VG. don't want to sell my '93 and look for mint condition VE 5-speed cuz its hard as ***** to find one but i have the luck of findin' the damn motors and maybe the tranny. so y not me invest on this little project and c how it turns out. now of course i will need people's thoughts on this. i will also need to know from the VE owners on here what i should look for and change on this motor "if" i get it??? Jeff, Michael, Danny, Matt, James, Sean, Craig: u guys r the experts on the VE's on here so shed some light in here for me and give me some positive honest feedbacks cuz i am really serious about this.
Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

well i know you think its going to be hard but i think its going to be really hard. its not just the motor and trans you need but all the accessories like altenator ps pump all hoses and relay boxes vaccum accesories brackets axles not just the wiring harness for motor but all other related electrical parts and its going to be even harder if you want the ac. im not the one to discourage i think its duable but the amount of down time and there are going to be a million things you will forget and need. my opinion if you can get a good motor and trans and can find a front clip with everything id say go for it. id probably buzz down and help you but you just need to remeber what your getting yourself into. i think searching online for a ve5 and driving a few hours to get one would be a lot easier but i can understand your frustration
Old 09-24-2005, 08:42 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

Patience.......Lots and lots of patience.....
Old 09-24-2005, 08:46 PM
¯\(°_o)/¯

You will need the fuel pump for ve.....I think the vg pump is different...
Old 09-24-2005, 08:49 PM

i have thought about it and understood ur post Harvs and thanks for offering ur help man i appreciate it. i took a look at the a/c components and all the other stuff and yeah i know its goin' to be a serious downtime but im willin' to do it. if a 4th gen got a 5th gen swap y can't a 3rd gen VG get a VE swap??? i have thought about searchin' online and drive a few miles but i figured that if i do that i would loose time from work, money for the trip, gettin' all the paper work for the car legalized, etc... **** if i would c more VE's down here more often of course i would just buy the damn car and not deal with doin' the swap. another reason i want to do this swap is cuz i want to do something diff. to the car and just fritter my money away on b/s parts that i don't need. now this project will only take effect "if" i end up gettin' the motor but now that read ur post about gettin' a complete front clip or even the whole car for the swap sounds like a better idea. Harvs u just made another good point and might end up savin' a couple hundred $'s as well. now im gonna c how much i can get the whole parts car for cuz i know members on here have gotten a complete parts car from junkyards for about the same amount of money that i might end up payin' for the motor itself. that really slipped my mind right there. thanks for that thought Harvs.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:25 PM
I miss my VE

Well, before my timing belt popped on the GXE, I was always dreamin for a VE. Before the incident, I havn't even bothered lookin, because I really didn't have the time, money, etc. to go out and look for one, when I had a perfectly good running VG. The VE 5spd was always just something to think about. Even after the T-belt incident, I had my mind set on swappin in a VE, but shortly after I realized it's just way too much headache. So I started lookin... Within an hour, I found this priced at $2,995 with 136k, only 16 miles away in another state, which in the end became $2200 because of a mild case of VTCs that a Toyota oil filter pretty much got rid of...

And plenty more of the same type at www.edmunds.com So I really don't know what to tell you... Did I get lucky, probably. Because clean VE's just don't exist here in NY. People don't really care about their cars here. Can you get just as lucky, sure why not. But unless you wanna do something different, I would suggest you start lookin
Old 09-24-2005, 10:45 PM
Way out West

If you really think you can do it, go right ahead. IMO, it's definitely not worth the time and headache.

On the market, VE 5-speed really don't sell for much more than a VG AT in similar condition/miles. If you are that desperate, it is far less trouble to fly half way across the country and drive back if you really want one badly. The cost of plane ticket (apx $150 one way anywhere) and gas (<$400 even from the west coast) is still probably less than you would put into a VE swap. You also get a road trip out of the deal.

I think it would even be a hella of a lot easier to find a VE AT, then do a 5-speed swap than do a VE-->VG swap. There are lots of VE autos out there and eventually you will come across a 5-speed tranny in a wrecked car. Worst case scenario, you could buy the tranny from out of state and have it shipped. Then, you would just have to get the hydraulics and the clutch pedal.

Doing the VE engine into VG car you have sooo many wires and one screw up could take hours and hours to figure out. You are seriously looking at probably hundreds of hours and lots of headaches.
Old 09-24-2005, 11:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IMHO the hardest part will feeding the harness through IMHO, unless there is some easier way lol (probably is, I just didn't realize it 3 years ago lol). Along with cutting the hole for the slave cylinder.

Actually the slave cylinder should be the only modding/fab (well defab hehhehe) that you should have to do. If you can drop and install an engine you shouldn't have any troubles with the swap as it is pretty much all bolt on.

Then just axles
Old 09-25-2005, 06:00 AM

my '93 is already a 5-speed so i don't need to worry about makin' more holes on my firewall. like i said in my earlier posts i can get the VE motor very cheap but its an auto but that doesn't bother me at all. as for the 5-speed tranny for the VE i already found one just don't know how much longer its gonna sit at the boneyard cuz the guy wants $200 for it. i pretty much know what im gettin' myself into and i know its gonna take a long time but who knows maybe it will work out for me and i just might be the first person to have a VE in a GXE body. once i can get the complete VE motor if not the complete parts car i will have all the help i need from my boss at the shop and co-workers. down south there really isn't alot of VE's out here even the 5-speed tranny's for both VG and VE r impossible to find. took me about 2 1/2 years to find my 5-speed tranny for my VG. i mean this is just a project i want to do plus i get to rebuild the motor on my own and learn more about the VE. i may seem to be desperate but i think its just time to do a complete swap. im not keepin' my hopes up just yet on this but if its meant to be then by all means i will do it. now if i do get the parts car or just the motor and i change my mind later on doin' the swap i can just sell it to someone thats interested in doin' the swap, plus there isn't alot of 3rd geners down here that know about VE's down here. i even have a new co-worker that just bought a 4th gen and thought he had the 300zx motor in his car. of course i told him that wasn't true. the wirin' isn't goin' to be a problem for me cuz i have help in that dept. time and headaches im already used to that since always pullin' motors or helpin' friends doin' motor swaps on their 240's, sentra's, and civics. it will seem hard at first but once im on the job it should be fun and interesting.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:24 AM

if people these days are doing 3.5 swaps and retaining the stock ecu, then it would be pretty much the same thing as a vg -> ve swap, just not quite as much in the way of gains. I say go for it, and see what happens
Old 09-25-2005, 07:48 AM

y not do a ve tranny and a turbo vg more power and you get the vlsd probably way more fun and a crap load easier
Old 09-25-2005, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by twinkle
if people these days are doing 3.5 swaps and retaining the stock ecu, then it would be pretty much the same thing as a vg -> ve swap, just not quite as much in the way of gains. I say go for it, and see what happens
completely impossible

completely different set of sensors
COP vs Distributor

really though, like I said, if you can remove and reinstall an engine you shouldn't have any troubles doing the swap. Now you said you already swapped it so it is a 5spd. If you already have a VG 5spd in there then all you need is:

VE30DE + wiring harness/ecu
Radiator hoses
Heatercore hoses (not sure if they are different, but better to be safe than sorry)
intake piping from throttle body to the top portion of the air box.
Exhaust headers + y-pipe
Motor mounts + cross member
VE flywheel
You can use your current clutch or get a new one, eitherway
If a 5spd, then the vacuum canister mount + parts

should do it. If you are putting a VE 5spd in then you will need
-VE 5spd transmission
-VE 5spd Axles
--->Option A: VG axles, and put the VG ends onto the VE Axles
--->Option B: VE hubs, and just use the entire VE Axle
Old 09-25-2005, 11:30 AM

went back to the boneyard only to find out that the damn VE block has a massive crack in the rear banks. that really pissed me off damn it. but im not givin' up on it yet. i will still search again for the motor and tranny and possibly also keep an eye out for a mint condition VE out on the streets. but this project will never leave my brain until i have one. but if i c that its goin' take more than i thought it would then i guess im just gonna have to move onto something else which is my backup plan. if that happens i don't know what to buy out on the market. either a truck, SUV, or a newer Nissan. but i will keep on searching for my project.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by MrGone
completely impossible

completely different set of sensors
COP vs Distributor

really though, like I said, if you can remove and reinstall an engine you shouldn't have any troubles doing the swap. Now you said you already swapped it so it is a 5spd. If you already have a VG 5spd in there then all you need is:

VE30DE + wiring harness/ecu
Radiator hoses
Heatercore hoses (not sure if they are different, but better to be safe than sorry)
intake piping from throttle body to the top portion of the air box.
Exhaust headers + y-pipe
Motor mounts + cross member
VE flywheel
You can use your current clutch or get a new one, eitherway
If a 5spd, then the vacuum canister mount + parts

should do it. If you are putting a VE 5spd in then you will need
-VE 5spd transmission
-VE 5spd Axles
--->Option A: VG axles, and put the VG ends onto the VE Axles
--->Option B: VE hubs, and just use the entire VE Axle

no, no, I dont mean put a 3.5 in a third gen, that would just be rediculious.
Old 09-25-2005, 02:07 PM

Originally Posted by twinkle
no, no, I dont mean put a 3.5 in a third gen, that would just be rediculious.
I know

it is impossible to use a VE with a VG wire harness/ECU and vice versa
Old 09-25-2005, 06:37 PM
YoU CaNt SeE mE

nething is possible with cash and patience
Old 09-26-2005, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Maxima-4DSC
nothing is impossible with cash and patience
nicely put down!!
Old 09-26-2005, 07:36 AM

ok so add up all the crap you have to buy, engine, tranny, axles, misc, etc.......just find a ve5spd somewhere and go get it its got to be about the same price roughly.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:37 PM

Why not put a vq35 in it if you are going to spend that much time in? I know a guy who put one in a '99, thing hauled so much a** is was incredible.
Old 09-26-2005, 07:28 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by ArcticDC5
Why not put a vq35 in it if you are going to spend that much time in? I know a guy who put one in a '99, thing hauled so much a** is was incredible.
I thought the 3.5 can't go into a 3rd gen
Old 09-26-2005, 07:49 PM
mod or sell?

a 99 isn't a 3rd gen it's a 4th

and you can put any motor you want inot any car you want
Old 09-26-2005, 08:02 PM

yes any engine you want.....

http://webzoom.freewebs.com/axepower/450ZXTT_A[1].X.E._POWER_12_2004.wmv
VH45DETT in a 300zx
Old 09-26-2005, 08:15 PM
mod or sell?

that's nothing.
try a Small block chevy into a CRX
Old 09-26-2005, 09:44 PM
I miss my VE

Originally Posted by internetautomar
a 99 isn't a 3rd gen it's a 4th
Thats amazing I didn't know that. But what does the 4th gen have to do with anything?
Old 09-27-2005, 04:33 AM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by Joe Fontinyatz
Thats amazing I didn't know that. But what does the 4th gen have to do with anything?
4th gen got the VQ30DE so the motor series is the same as the later generations (all VQs) which means easier interchangeability
Old 09-27-2005, 10:07 PM
I miss my VE

4th gen got the VQ30DE so the motor series is the same as the later generations (all VQs) which means easier interchangeability
I think I knew that. Why don't you tell that to the guy that told the original poster to put it in his 3rd gen.

Originally Posted by ArcticDC5
Old 09-28-2005, 04:55 AM
mod or sell?

because you can swap one in if you are patient and creative
Old 09-28-2005, 07:32 PM
I miss my VE

because you can swap one in if you are patient and creative
Good enough. Just cause you said that, I went out and picked up an Enzo engine, and it's waiting in my closet to be swapped in Eh-Sap with my imagination and a ratchet set.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:39 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

SB Chevy into a CRX, Caddy Northstar V8 into an MR2, 302 Ford into a Miata, blown 350 Chevy into a Saturn, a Scirocco with front and rear engines, 215 Olds V8 into the passenger seat of a Datsun 510. I've seen it all. Any engine can be put into any car.

And it doesn't need to be expensive. The CRX and Datsun swaps were parts of the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 and $2005 challenges. That's right, the cars and motors and parts all for less than $2005.

Now whether that swap is worth the money, that's kinda hard to say before it's done. All I'm saying is get crazy, and it doesn't have to cost a lot.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:10 PM

The VE is a teriffic engine, but if you're going to go through all that trouble, why not try something more exciting like a VQ swap?
Old 09-29-2005, 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by lecherous84
The VE is a teriffic engine, but if you're going to go through all that trouble, why not try something more exciting like a VQ swap?
before you get flamed, go read teh stickies and do a little searching on putting a VQ in a 3rd gen. it can be done, but nobody has done it and its not gonna be easy what so ever.

edit: ok one person
Old 09-29-2005, 07:18 PM

not so it has been done we all saw pics a year or so back
Old 09-29-2005, 07:22 PM

yeah yeah, but that guy didnt even realize what he had. but whatever. nobody here ever drove it and there was one long **** discussion bout it.

i guess if i had the time and all, id probably try a VQ over a putting in a VE in a VG...but i dont.
Old 09-29-2005, 07:42 PM

it think a vq would be a better choice too more bolt ons and other parts and i think the fabrication would be the least of another swap besides a ve
Old 09-29-2005, 08:15 PM
mod or sell?

Originally Posted by ShortFuse
SB Chevy into a CRX, Caddy Northstar V8 into an MR2, 302 Ford into a Miata, blown 350 Chevy into a Saturn, a Scirocco with front and rear engines, 215 Olds V8 into the passenger seat of a Datsun 510. I've seen it all. Any engine can be put into any car.

And it doesn't need to be expensive. The CRX and Datsun swaps were parts of the Grassroots Motorsports $2004 and $2005 challenges. That's right, the cars and motors and parts all for less than $2005.

Now whether that swap is worth the money, that's kinda hard to say before it's done. All I'm saying is get crazy, and it doesn't have to cost a lot.
GRM - my favorite mag.

also to those discussing the VQ swap, you'd also have to fabricate a harness , while a VE swap can more easily use the donors harness without modification.
also the VQ swap may require other changes as well to make everything work right.
the alleged VQ swap also had it's dash swapped too