3rd Generation Maxima (1989-1994) Learn more about the 3rd Generation Maxima here.

94 GXE not Starting**Replace w/ O.E. Fuel Pump vs. Walbro Fuel Pump?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 01:26 AM

94 GXE not Starting**Replace w/ O.E. Fuel Pump vs. Walbro Fuel Pump?

I have been having trouble with my 94 GXE for the past month or so. The crazy thing will not start at times, and then other times it starts everytime. It will turn over like it wants to start, but it seems like it is getting no fuel. My tank now is completely full, and will not start.

So I initially purchased a fuel filter to see if that would fix the problem. But once I bought it, it did not want to act up again. So the new filter is still sitting on my table in the box.

Now, if this doesn't actually fix the problem, I think I have determined the problem to be the fuel pump.

My questions:
Can I replace my original fuel pump with say a higher flowing fuel pump like a Walbro? If the replacement fixes the problem, will it operate like an o.e. replacement fuel pump?

I ask this because I can either pay $300 for a o.e. replacement, $100 for a Walbro, or even a used o.e. fuel pump for like $30-40.

Which should I do? And if anyone else has any good ideas about why this wouldn't be the fuel pump, please explain.

Thanks way in Advance for anyone trying to help!
R
Old 09-26-2005, 02:36 AM

have you ever tried to to disconnect the fuel line when it won't start to see if it is the fuel pump for sure. if you haven't i highly recommend you rap the end of the line with a rag in a mason jar and only kick the ignition for just a sec. Or maybe it is the fuel filter. a buddy had a pontiac that did the same thing till we changed the fuel filter. it it idled ruf i would say its probly an ignition problem. Cup rotor wires.. something like that. I know my car acted up severly like it didn't want to start and it would die up hill. turned out it was the spark plugs had melted the electrodes. I learned my mistake never buy the cheap $0.99 spark plugs. it worth the extra $0.50 to a dollar per plug. but as far as wither to go OEM or Welbro from what i read te welbro is rated at a higher rate of fuel delivery so more gas more power... downside with todays gas prices the OEM for more would be cheaper in the long run. and it would be a good idea to use a fuel regulator with the Welbro Also check whiich fuel injectors you have on you car if there teh pink top it may be the problem i know i had to replace them in my car due to them being so clogged looked like someone packed in coffee grounds in the ports. but that another story for another repair. I just know from talking to various machanics that those aOEm fuel injectors were known for going out.

Old 09-26-2005, 03:48 AM

Originally Posted by Ryan_C
... it seems like it is getting no fuel. ... the problem to be the fuel pump...
Theres lots reason for intermittent no start... Why u think its fuel pump?
- when pump works, it produces sound & fuel hose will stiffen
- pressure has been measured?

I'd buy ol pump to ol car...
Old 09-26-2005, 05:08 AM
¯\(°_o)/¯

I would make sure it is the pump before i change it...I would hate to spend $100-$300 and still not fix the problem.......The pump will make a high pitched buzzing sound when you turn the key to the on position but don't start it.... Take the gas cap off and have a helper turn the key on while you have your ear to the opening...Have the helper cycle the key a few times, you should hear a whining sound...If you don't...Well
Old 09-26-2005, 06:29 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

unless you've got some serious mods that call for serious amounts of gas, a walbro is serious overkill. with gas prices like they are, there's no reason to shoot a hole in your wallet like that. are you sure you're getting spark?
Old 09-26-2005, 10:43 AM

I just got done messing with the car once again today.

I don't have anyone nearby as of right now(but should have someone available sometime today), but when I did turn the ignition on I did hear a high pitched buzzing noise when I left my door open. I did notice the smell of gasoline after trying to start it several times.

I checked under the hood to see if those injectors are pink on top, and the front ones for sure are pink. What is a good replacement for these, and from where?

One time (about 3 weeks ago) I pulled the fuse under the hood marked IGN SW (30amp) and then after that for some odd reason it started, but sputtered forever and really couldn't drive it anywhere.

Remember, I don't have any mods done to this car.
Old 09-26-2005, 11:14 AM

...the smell of gasoline after trying to start it several times.
- pump is doing its job.
- injectors injecting gas
- Smell = no ignition? ... plugs, cap, rotor, wiring, groundings

Do some tuneup/testing; check out VG tuneup pages at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/748507/1
Old 09-26-2005, 11:54 AM

Here are a few pictures I snapped:

1st & 2nd are of a harness just laying loose resting against the alternator's pulley, and then once I noticed that I noticed that cyclinder looking thing. Does anyone know what either of those items are for, or even if I should worry about them?

3rd: Pink top Injector

4th and 5th: Spark Plug removed (showing condition)

Should these definitely get replaced?

I am heading to the Advance Auto here in a few minutes to get new plugs. Any helping clues in getting all that grime out from where the plugs screw in, or any other suggestions?

Thanks everyone that has gave a helping thought!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:01 PM

Well, I just finished up changing the Spark plugs with some nice cheap AutoLite plugs ($1.28/plug). After just changing the first one plug I decided to try and start the car. It started so I pulled it up closer to the house so I could use my Air Compressor so blow out all the dirt and grime from around the old plugs.

Blew out all the junk, and then replaced the remaining 5 and seemed to run like normal now!

I then replace the fuel filter since that was something I still had on hand.

I am betting that my Maxima will be able to make it through this winter coming up now!

Thanks everyone

Now, the next thing I will probably jump into and try to fix will be my Cruise Control.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:57 PM
mod or sell?

that wire and cylinder is your winshield washer pump
Old 09-26-2005, 08:10 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

i would try to find a stock pump as the walbro would rasie the base fuel pressure to around 48 to 50psi and would make the car run pertty rich.
Old 09-26-2005, 10:49 PM

...some nice cheap AutoLite plugs...I am betting that ...Thanks everyone...
WYSIWYG: U will get some nice cheap AutoLite miles. With double NGK price, quadruple more, full 5k NGK miles. With 10x plat plug price, get 60x miles...

Youre wellcome. Only race cars run with bets. Tools in trunk become handy, satellite link enables .org q-contact as bets fail.
Old 09-27-2005, 11:36 AM

Try pushing forward on the automatic shifter on the times it won't start. Sometimes that is the intermittent problem. Also consider a new distributor cap and rotor.